• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The illogical logic...

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
Segev, have you considered the possibility that your reasons for taking action and those of theists are roughly the same, but that we may tend to rationalize our decisions differently? We all learn the difference between right and wrong from our parents. In childhood, parental advice and adult authority define morality. As we mature, our peers and society at large play an increasing role. We all acquire our values from the same place, and theistic morality can be seen as little more than a transfer effect from adult authority in our formative years and theistic authority in the later years. A coming of age. For non-theists, the rationale for our instincts and conscience--the autopilot that runs our daily behavior--must differ. It becomes more abstract. A lot of atheists become humanists, seeing society at large as setting the bars for ethical and moral decisions. More intellectual individuals resort to philosophical doctrines such as consequentialism. In the end, though, our values were defined by those who raised us.

LukeS

I think that some religious people view morality as numinous: "arousing spiritual or religious emotion; mysterious or awe-inspiring". Its revered similarly as God, its from God. Like with an artwork, a fake is less valuable than an authentic masterpiece, so the buzz of ownership is different. To one person its a warm feeling, to another its the Holy Spirit. To one its a series of social commands and values, to another its the key to happiness for evermore.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Insect colonies have no problem "thriving" and "staying together." I am unaware that any insects abide by moral rules about, say, rape. Why do you set humans "and some animals" (but humans are animals) apart as requiring moral rules in order to "thrive" and "stay together"?

Ok so i missed out the word "other" as in "some other animals."

I differentiate between different animals because there are some that do show morality, (i have observed great acts by animals on several occasions) and some that don't, the honey badger is an example.

An insect colony would have no concept of rape so rape in that context is a moot point

As to why? Who knows? But for sure you wouldn't get far by flouting or ignoring group morality, the prisons are full of those who tried.

Nous

Premium Member
An insect colony would have no concept of rape so rape in that context is a moot point
Apparently these animals also abide by no rules about killing the innocent or stealing, in addition to abiding to no moral rules about rape. That just leads back to the question I asked: how is it possible for these animals to "thrive" and "stay together" (in tightly packed colonies, no less)?

Nous

Premium Member
For most social insects, the 'rules' are genetically coded.
When and how was that hypothesis tested?

Where would anyone get the idea that insects abide by moral rules regarding rape, killing the innocent, stealing, etc.?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Apparently these animals also abide by no rules about killing the innocent or stealing, in addition to abiding to no moral rules about rape. That just leads back to the question I asked: how is it possible for these animals to "thrive" and "stay together" (in tightly packed colonies, no less)?

Morality : principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behaviour.

Who are you to dictate what is right and wrong to another species?

Akivah

Usually when I debate, i make sure that the person I talk with, understands my definition of the words i use (only when there is more than one common definition). as i see it, it is vital for a debater to have a clear understanding of the terms being used by the other debater in order to have a fuller understanding of the arguments presented.

I have the exact same problem with Christians that want to debate me. We have differing texts and authorities, thus have completely different glossaries.

For some reason, it always seems to me very hard to understand the exact definition of some words that theist who argue against me use.

Because your definitions are based on a dictionary that someone wrote, the Jewish definition is based on how the word is used in the Tanakh.

So i try to understand what is the cause of the different logic mechanism? why is it that my logical assessment is so different than the logical assessment of theist people?

Because you've probably been talking only to Christians. LOL.

When i ask my self, what is the cause of something i do, it is split into 2 different things (for me),
The cause as: The goal i want to achieve by performing an action
and The cause as: The events that led me to take that action.

I'm not seeing much difference with your elderly assistance example from my take on it. Your logical reasons for providing the assistance are fine. I agree with all of them: I too would like to receive assistance when I'm elderly, I too would like to set an example for others. But I have a cherry on top because such an action is a mitzvah that G-d commanded us to do, and I choose to do it of my own freewill.

The more i debate, the more i try to clearly understand the logic behind the theist beliefs, and i really cant seem to understand it.

Have you had religious instruction and training? If not, then you're lacking the knowledge that theists have. If so, then I don't know why you are unable to relate.

I would love if someone can raise to the challenge, and explain me the way the "theistic logic" works.

please use the starting point of explaining what is math to you? is it something invented, or discovered, by humans?

Challenges can be interesting, so I thought I'd give it a go.

Math to me is equations and calculations. It is a discipline that was invented and discovered by humans. We first had to learn how to count.

Nous

Premium Member
Morality : principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behaviour.

Who are you to dictate what is right and wrong to another species?
Are you trying to suggest that insects do abide by moral precepts? Just state that argument by which you have concluded such.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
As long as you place your 'logic' above God, you will continue to not get-it. It's not a logic-thing.

I suspect nothing is a "logic-thing," for some people. Then again, god isn't actually a thing to these people either. Once you strip away their fears, judgments, anxieties, and narcissism, you realize that god has nothing to do with their petty, fearful, and vindictive nature and actions.

I suspect nothing is a "logic-thing," for some people. Then again, god isn't actually a thing to these people either. Once you strip away their fears, judgments, anxieties, and narcissism, you realize that god has nothing to do with their petty, fearful, and vindictive nature and actions.

Nobody has any clue, in the Western world what 'God' is. It's plenty real, but not to them, and not in the form they expect.
There's nothing wrong with agnosticism. It's what precedes - and permits - knowing.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Nobody has any clue, in the Western world what 'God' is. It's plenty real, but not to them, and not in the form they expect.
There's nothing wrong with agnosticism. It's what precedes - and permits - knowing.

If there is a god, nobody, anywhere, knows anything about it. All presumptions about god, by men, are nothing more than inventions of the human psyche for human needs.

Segev Moran

What is your "very clear definition" of what "moral" is, and what is the "common understanding" of what we mean by "moral"?
as i see it, moral is based on billions of years of evolution. you can find moral "codes" in every specie in nature, yet we are the only specie that can discuss it (as far as we know)

looking at our own specie, we used to have a very different moral code. it took dozens of thousands of years for us to become as "moral" as we are.

so for me a moral, is way for our society of animals to promise a better survival rate of our species.

we painfully learned that looks doesn't have anything to do with your quality as a human.
we painfully learned that belief doesn't have anything to do with your quality as a human.
we painfully learned that males and females should be treated equally.
we painfully learned any social understanding of the "modern world".

moral is another social understanding.
Are those two different ideas or the same?
Yes and no.
they are the same, but many call it god ;)