• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The human ego

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Hope you're all feeling okay.

What do you think of the human ego?

Is it the true cause of most of our emotional distress as human beings?

I did find an interesting video -

All the best!

Axe Elf

Prophet
Strictly speaking, the ego is just our conception of ourselves--whatever that may be.

Colloquially, "ego" has come to connote arrogance, but that's not the original meaning as Freud used it.

Selfishness--THAT'S the true cause of most of our emotional distress as human beings.

David T

Premium Member
Hope you're all feeling okay.

What do you think of the human ego?

Is it the true cause of most of our emotional distress as human beings?

I did find an interesting video -

All the best!
Its amazing its the only known thing to both exist outside reality and is larger than reality!

David T

Premium Member
Selfishness--THAT'S the true cause of most of our emotional distress as human beings.
Staying in a freudian framework i totally agree. I keep telling my girlfriend when she says no thats totally selfish of her since she possesses magic i need!!! This causes me extreme stress emotional distress.

Btw language is constantly changing meaning. In the 1800s if one were to go out for an evening of awful intercourse that would not have sounded wierd. .since aweful was awe related and intercourse use to mean dialog conversation.

PureX

Veteran Member
Strictly speaking, the ego is just our conception of ourselves--whatever that may be.
I think it's more than just a concept of self. It's the mechanism maintaining and protecting that conception of self. And if we do not learn how and why to subjugate that mechanism within ourselves, we cannot grow, or change.