• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Homing Pigeon and Evolution

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
How science explains according to natural selection the amazing ability of the homing pigeon to return home from extremely long distances ?

Scientist think that the homing pigeon may trace the exact location by using a magnetic compass because there is no other reasonable explanation and even if it is in relation to the earth's magnetic field still no clue on how it works.

Alceste

Vagabond
How science explains according to natural selection the amazing ability of the homing pigeon to return home from extremely long distances ?

Scientist think that the homing pigeon may trace the exact location by using a magnetic compass because there is no other reasonable explanation and even if it is in relation to the earth's magnetic field still no clue on how it works.

Lots of birds navigate over vast distances. The evolutionary explanation is that they are following the blooms of seasonal food supplies in different regions.

Given your consistent approach to the topic of biology, might I suggest that you would have better luck posing your questions to google? Whenever you ask something like this and I don't already know the answer (which is rare), I just google it and tell you the answer. Seems like a waste of my time when you could just google it yourself.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Lots of birds navigate over vast distances. The evolutionary explanation is that they are following the blooms of seasonal food supplies in different regions.

Given your consistent approach to the topic of biology, might I suggest that you would have better luck posing your questions to google? Whenever you ask something like this and I don't already know the answer (which is rare), I just google it and tell you the answer. Seems like a waste of my time when you could just google it yourself.

I don't ask you to waste your time,if you don't know the answer and you don't have an opinion about the topic then no need to have your share on it.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

I wonder if he's not actually looking for the best scientific answer (he's probably heard it) but is trying to make a point that there's such amazing sophistication in the design that it argues for a designer. A homing pigeon can find an exact spot.

I have sympathy for his position myself (I believe evolution and abiogenisis are fostered by higher beings). It's impossible though to ever say it proves a designer or requires a designer. I'm sure a materialist can give his version too. It's for each of us to form our best opinion as to what beliefs are most reasonable.

FranklinMichaelV.3

I'm curious to why higher beings would want to get involved...or even go through the torture that is evolution. I find it unlikely that God as the Koran describes God would ever use a method like evolution. For every amazing thing an animal can do there is a flaw in there design which when pointed out is swept under the rug as "there for a reason" IMO Fear God should not even bother trying to address evolution simply bebause it cannot be reconciled with his faith.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
To be brutally honest, FearGod, this is what I expect you are going to do based on your previous threads and posts about this topic: I expect that you are going to ask questions here, have them answered, ask more questions (probably ones that can be answered by doing a simple Google search), make the thread go in circles, and then start another one when you think this one has run its course—which is probably when you run out of questions relating to the OP... all in attempts to refute "evolutionism."

On the other hand, if you really do want to know more about the theory of evolution, I suggest you start here: TalkOrigins Archive: Exploring the Creation/Evolution Controversy

I'm not an expert in biology by any means myself, but I think that deferring to qualified people when it comes to seeking knowledge on any given subject is far better than asking laypeople about their understanding of that subject and then claiming that their understanding somehow has any bearing on the majority scholarly opinions concerning the subject.

Last edited:

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
There definitely seems to be a strong correlation between people being ignorant of a subject, and asking questions about it they're not actually interested in getting answers for.

I wonder if scientists can explain why so many people repeatedly ask questions they don't want answers to. It seems like one of the most banal activities one can engage in.

FranklinMichaelV.3

There definitely seems to be a strong correlation between people being ignorant of a subject, and asking questions about it they're not actually interested in getting answers for.

I wonder if scientists can explain why so many people repeatedly ask questions they don't want answers to. It seems like one of the most banal activities one can engage in.

Because someone responding will mess up and they'll latch on to that and say "see I told you I was right!!"

Skwim

Veteran Member

Guess you answered your own question. Is that it? You just wanted to let us know what scientists think about homing pigeon ability? Then mission accomplished FG.
icon14.gif

However, you might want to keep in mind that this is a debate form and not a science news blog.

Alceste

Vagabond
I don't ask you to waste your time,if you don't know the answer and you don't have an opinion about the topic then no need to have your share on it.

I do know the answer, though. I'm just saying all your threads that start with "how do evolutionists explain _____" are more appropriate to ask an internet search engine. If you don't know, just google it. Simple rule to live by that will save us all a lot of time explaining things to you that you could have just spent two minutes looking up yourself.

Alceste

Vagabond

Good question! I will have to google it, since I don't already know the answer!

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
I do know the answer, though. I'm just saying all your threads that start with "how do evolutionists explain _____" are more appropriate to ask an internet search engine. If you don't know, just google it. Simple rule to live by that will save us all a lot of time explaining things to you that you could have just spent two minutes looking up yourself.

I was trying to point out how stupids the evolutionist's ideas and thoughts are.

No scientific answers for the amazing ability of the homing pigeon to return back to his exact location,IOW this ability should be a designed one and not a natural thing to happen.

Scientists tried to understand the mysterious ability for the homing pigeon that even if taken while anesthetic to a far distant point then it will be directed to its origin location as if it is guided by a magnetic compass,but how and how this ability have to be developed in natural way which is impossible and hence there is one answer for it and which is that someone has planned and designed this for the pigeon.

If you have a good answer then bring it for the discussion other than the silly blind faith on evolution.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I was trying to point out how stupids the evolutionist's ideas and thoughts are.
But magic man in the sky did? That is a grand answer?
No scientific answers for the amazing ability of the homing pigeon to return back to his exact location,IOW this ability should be a designed one and not a natural thing to happen.

Scientists tried to understand the mysterious ability for the homing pigeon that even if taken while anesthetic to a far distant point then it will be directed to its origin location as if it is guided by a magnetic compass,but how and how this ability have to be developed in natural way which is impossible and hence there is one answer for it and which is that someone has planned and designed this for the pigeon.

If you have a good answer then bring it for the discussion other than the silly blind faith on evolution.

Actually its a terrible ability once the earth's magnetic field flips. Then it will screw with the birds so badly that it will be useless. God is such a dick to birds.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
But magic man in the sky did? That is a grand answer?

No it isn't the work of a magician neither the unconscious nature.

Actually its a terrible ability once the earth's magnetic field flips. Then it will screw with the birds so badly that it will be useless. God is such a dick to birds.

Evolution will work,those who can't return to their exact location will die and those who can return will survive and pass their genes to the offspring.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
A conscious supernatural being
Why do you think so?

Thats it,kind of blind faith.
Except I can logically follow with steps as to why I believe it and evidence that is observable and testable that helps prove the point?

It is paramount to me having "blind faith" that the sun will rise tomorrow. Or that the earth rotates on its axis.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Why do you think so?

And why do you think it isn't so ?

Except I can logically follow with steps as to why I believe it and evidence that is observable and testable that helps prove the point?

And did you observe how the homing pigeon evolved to map and trace its location.

It is paramount to me having "blind faith" that the sun will rise tomorrow. Or that the earth rotates on its axis.

And do you know why and how it happened that the sun rise everyday and how and why the earth rotates around its axis.