• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Holy Spirit

needle

This is a very strange topic for me to comprehend. If there are individuals on this forum who can help me. Please explain in easy terms, what is the Holy Spirit? Also, I have read that it is called the unforgivable sin to deny the Holy Spirit. What does this mean? Do all Religions call this Holy Spirit the same name, or does it even have an actual name?

Little Joe Gould

Seeking God
For me the Holy Spirit was the sensation I felt when I was saved. It literally felt as if God ripped out my old heart and placed in a new one. I understand why it is the unforgivable sin to deny the experience of the Holy Spirit. I've been broken down in my Faith very badly before and the only reason I didn't abandon Christianity entirely was because of that one experience. I just simply could not deny what I felt; it's how I know what I believe is true.

needle

I truly have a mental block on this. Some people have trouble with math or science, for example, for me it is in defining this Holy Spirit. How do we know how we are denying something that we can not understand? What will happen to someone if they deny this being, if it is a being? What is the purpose of this creature?

Heneni

Miss Independent
Stephenw said it well on another thread. The HS is the is the link between that which is known and that which is unknown.

Some people believe the HS is a person.

I believe that the HS is a teacher. Everything that god reveals about himself to someone is done by the holy spirit

The holy spirit can be on a person or in a person.

You can also see the HS as the link between your thoughts and that of god. The HS is responsible for purifying your spirit and preparing it and getting it ready for the return of jesus.

The holy spirit is likened to fire - purifying

And water - cleansing

And it is our teacher, helper, comforter....basically like our mother.

needle

This is not real or logical to me. If the Holy Spirit is an actual person, one would be able to touch and see this person. If this person is an invisable aura, then it would seem that it is actually the conscious awareness of our own personal self, manifesting our own divine right, as heirs of goodness. If the Holy Spirit is on a person, then it would be as tangible as that individual, therefore, it would cause a shield to cover over a source of light, leaving a shadow, of a separate being, other than ourself. When I think of a comforter, I think of a blanket or a covering of some type. Do you mean a different persona of the self? Perhaps someone with more knowledge and advancement in years could better answer my questions.

Heneni

Miss Independent
This is not real or logical to me. If the Holy Spirit is an actual person, one would be able to touch and see this person. If this person is an invisable aura, then it would seem that it is actually the conscious awareness of our own personal self, manifesting our own divine right, as heirs of goodness. If the Holy Spirit is on a person, then it would be as tangible as that individual, therefore, it would cause a shield to cover over a source of light, leaving a shadow, of a separate being, other than ourself. When I think of a comforter, I think of a blanket or a covering of some type. Do you mean a different persona of the self? Perhaps someone with more knowledge and advancement in years could better answer my questions.

The HS is not a person like somebody you can see with your natural eyes. But he is a 'being' if you will...though that is some peoples interpretation...im not completely sure the HS is a being. He can be compared to a wind...or a fire...or a mist...or water....

He is always moving,hovering, or flowing.

Dunemeister

This is not real or logical to me. If the Holy Spirit is an actual person, one would be able to touch and see this person.

This and the rest of your post seems to me to indicate that you're more interested in defining the word on your own terms rather than accepting the definition as offered by the religious community who uses it. If you're bent on redefining the word to suit your tastes, why bother asking us what it means? The definition has already been given you.

According to the Nicene Creed:

And we believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord and Giver of Life, who proceeds from the Father and the Son, who together with the Father and the Son together is worshipped and glorified, who spoke by the prophets.

So the Holy Spirit is "the Lord", i.e., God. He's the giver of life. He receives worship along with the Father and the Son. He spoke by the prophets. Being "the Lord", being worthy of receiving worship and speaking are all characteristics of persons.

According to the Athanasian Creed:

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the Catholic Faith. Which Faith except everyone do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. And the Catholic Faith is this, that we worship one God in Trinity and Trinity in Unity. Neither confounding the Persons, nor dividing the Substance. For there is one Person of the Father, another of the Son, and another of the Holy Ghost. But the Godhead of the Father, of the Son and of the Holy Ghost is all One, the Glory Equal, the Majesty Co-Eternal. Such as the Father is, such is the Son, and such is the Holy Ghost. The Father Uncreated, the Son Uncreated, and the Holy Ghost Uncreated. The Father Incomprehensible, the Son Incomprehensible, and the Holy Ghost Incomprehensible. The Father Eternal, the Son Eternal, and the Holy GhostEternal. As also there are not Three Uncreated, nor Three Incomprehensibles, but One Uncreated, and One Uncomprehensible. So likewise the Father is Almighty, the Son Almighty, and the Holy Ghost Almighty. And yet they are not Three Almighties but One Almighty. Eternal and yet they are not Three Eternals but One.

So the Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Ghost is God. And yet they are not Three Gods, but One God. So likewise the Father is Lord, the Son Lord, and the Holy Ghost Lord. And yet not Three Lords but One Lord. For, like as we are compelled by the Christian verity to acknowledge every Person by Himself to be God and Lord, so are we forbidden by the Catholic Religion to say, there be Three Gods or Three Lords. The Father is made of none, neither created, nor begotten. The Son is of the Father alone; not made, nor created, but begotten. The Holy Ghost is of the Father, and of the Son neither made, nor created, nor begotten, but proceeding.

So there is One Father, not Three Fathers; one Son, not Three Sons; One Holy Ghost, not Three Holy Ghosts. And in this Trinity none is [temporally] before or after Other, None is greater or less than Another, but the whole Three Persons are Co-eternal together, and Co-equal. So that in all things, as is aforesaid, the Unity is Trinity, and the Trinity is Unity is to be worshipped. He therefore that will be saved, must thus think of the Trinity.

So here we find that the Holy Spirit is the same sort of thing as the Father and the Son, yet we don't have three things but one thing. As I like to put it, there is one divine being (thing) but three divine persons.

I hope that helps.

needle

You are only repeating what others have said. Therefore, you do not know. You are simply parroting what you have heard. If something is not tangable, it is not real. It is a lie. Perhaps this Holy Spirit is a lie, that has been passed down by liars. To say we know something that we do not truly know, is to bare a false witness. It seems that there is some deep seated contamination in this Holy Spirit Creature. I openly and publically denounce this Creature's Divinity. For me, "IT" is nothing more or less than a hideous monster. If it is genuinly good and real, it shall manifest itself as such. I have not experienced anything practical or intelligent in this being thus far. This invisable being has caused others to lie for it, to fear it, to play false for it. To accept and further the fraudulent way of all mannner of deception and false and corrupt philosophies. This is blatant wickedness.

Nehustan

This is a very strange topic for me to comprehend. If there are individuals on this forum who can help me. Please explain in easy terms, what is the Holy Spirit? Also, I have read that it is called the unforgivable sin to deny the Holy Spirit. What does this mean? Do all Religions call this Holy Spirit the same name, or does it even have an actual name?

Hi needle, hope you don't mind me answering, but as I used to Christian I thought I'd give you some of the things that I found out during my research.

The first place we learn of the 'Spirit of God' is in Genesis.

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. Genesis (1):1-3

in Hebrew the expression 'Spirit of God' is...

ruach-elohim2.gif

A shorthand way of writing this is to merely use the single Hebrew letter 'Shin'...

Hebrew_letter_shin.png

...this being as a result of something known as Gematria. In this case the expression 'RUaCh ELoHIM' when added, i.e. the letters numerical values, renders the sum is 300 and the letter 'Shin' also has a value of 300, thus they may be considered to have some synonymy.

The letter 'Shin' also used by the Aaronite priesthood as a gesture during blessing (e.g. Mr. Spock's gesture), but is also said to look like a dove.

Dove_Shin.gif

In this respect, when Jesus was baptised by John in the Jordan, and the spirit descends as a dove, there is a deep symbolic meaning to the narrative.

Last edited:

needle

I openly and publicly denounce The Nicene Creed, and The Athanasian Creed, as blatantly Anti- Christ. All people, places and things which are in league with these deceptive plans, are operating outside of the Justified Law. These individuals are among those who caused The True Saints to be viciously murdered. To stand by any of these establishments, is to stand in league with Anti-Christs and their barbaric Fathers of Lies.

Last edited:

Nehustan

I openly and publicly denounce The Nicene Creed, and The Athanasian Creed, as blatantly Anti- Christ. All people, places and things which are in league with these deceptive plans, are operating outside of the Justified Law. These individuals are among those who caused The True Saints to be viciously murdered. To stand by any of these establishments, is to stand in league with Anti-Christs and their barbaric Fathers of Lies.

I wrote something similar, tho' perhaps with slightly less venom, to my Archbishop when I decided I wasn't Christian anymore....

Nehustan

(See bold in your post) Funny you should say that...let me tell you an event that happened to me when I was a youngster.

I recall it was a winter morning the day I first heard a voice I could identify as not my own. It must have been around 1978, and I would have been 8. It was a cold morning and we had broken from lessons and gone outside for fresh air. Rather than play with the other children, I huddled in a corner pulling up the collars of my coat. ‘Brrrrr...its cold’ I thought, immediately a voice distinct from my own ventured ‘Why are you cold?’ I replied ‘Well that’s a stupid question, it’s cold, it’s windy, it’s winter, that’s why I’m cold.’ The voice which had an air of wisdom and age replied ‘But why would the wind make you cold?’. I replied, ‘Because it’s the wind, that’s what the wind does’. The voice in what could be described as caring tones stated ‘Does the wind have a texture?’. ‘Well...yes...I suppose...it does’ I conceded. ‘Does it not have a thickness, akin to a blanket?’ I felt the wind brush my face and had to admit it had exactly such a quality. ‘Well then...’ continued the voice ‘..you should feel warm rather than cold, shouldn’t you?' As the voice spoke the words I felt the cold withdraw and an overwhelming sense of warmth and wellbeing.

Ironically I learnt some years later that the Holy Spirit is oft' signified by a wind. Something I didn't know as a child...

needle

Gosh, I would be very careful telling strangers that you were hearing voices. They might think you are schizoprenic and lock you in the dungeon. Thank you for the story. It was not practical, but it was still a nice story.

Nehustan

Well, I was silly enough to talk to a shrink when I was having hard times. 16 years later I'm still living with a diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder. Still, it has turned out to have been of some practical use; I'm now studying an MSc in Medical Anthropology under a renowned psychiatrist with the potential for going on and completing a PhD based on primary research based in the Middle East. ;)

(edited to add, the dungeons weren't too bad, they beat being burnt at the stake!!! :yes: )

Last edited:

needle

A psychiatrist brutally raped my sister. She is 16 years my senior. That was many years ago. He was from Pakistan. He went by the name Mohammed. He bragged about it. Because of his extremely high position, he was not in the least bit worried about it having a negative effect on him. He said he did it, because he thought it would be good for her. I do not know what has happened to him. I would love to burn him and all others like him at the stake.

Nehustan

A psychiatrist brutally raped my sister. She is 16 years my senior. That was many years ago. He was from Pakistan. He went by the name Mohammed. He bragged about it. Because of his extremely high position, he was not in the least bit worried about it having a negative effect on him. He said he did it, because he thought it would be good for her. I do not know what has happened to him. I would love to burn him and all others like him at the stake.

That's pretty dark!!! :eek: I hope she managed to find some strategies to help her cope with it... :(

needle

We believe in Divine Justice. We truly hope those who are in illicit positions of power will be burned alive. It is they who have denied those who are under them, Wholeness of Spirit. To tolerate these Monsters, would be treason to those whom they have brutally injured. One can not love good and evil, or one's mind becomes divided. To forgive treacherous abusive practices, is to deny justice to the needy. This is not acceptable, to Righteousness.

Nehustan

Sorry to take so long in replying, I was doing some work. I can't say I can understand how you feel, as I'm sure I don't. I have however seen some things that have made my blood boil, often done in the name of therapy :shrug:

Hopefully you'll find some people here to chat with and who'll be understanding when you vent...