• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The holy spirit

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Christians. If you have god, why do you 'need' the holy spirit?

If youre a trinitarian, god is spirit and so is chist, what Is the holy spirit that differientiates itself from god or christ? And why do you need it as well?

If youre not a trinitarian, how is the holy spirit different from god and why is it necessary?

These are questions for answers not to challange me into debate.

Ratzzable

The Holy Spirit is a one of the most important aspects in catholicism and it has a vital role when explained in eastern religions. If I can digress if channeled to personalized it is the root of darmic teaching and in Christianity it needs to be disected into the movement of the thought of God, the potent energy that lays latent between answers and questions regarding the relationship of inanimate universe and God. Also it serves as an potent intermediary(like coffee) which you can compare to time if you view God from a personal view which can create plural mnemonical answers toward your reality towards God. It has numerous religical thought related to it

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It is written that God dwells in unapproachable light (1 Timothy 6:16) and that no man can see the Face of God yet live Exodus 33:20). God is covered with light. (Psalms 104:2)

I have a story about too much light. It is about something that really happened in the town next to mine some years ago.
It was morning and children were walking to school. In one place, the light was so bright the driver of a car could not see in front of her, but she kept going. She hit a group of young women who were crossing there and she killed one of them. I have been driving a long time. I know that kind of blindness is very rare. Wisdom tells me that if I am blinded while driving, I should not drive until I can see. It happened just the other day. My son does not have his drivers license yet and as I drove with him into the parking lot of a housing development it happened to me, so I stopped and I told him that when it happens that the light is so bright you can't see, then, STOP, for goodness' sake! It is wrong to drive blind.

So even though I believe God is not a physical body, I need The Holy Spirit to lead and to teach me. Jesus is he who calls people to The Holy Spirit.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The Holy Spirit is a one of the most important aspects in catholicism and it has a vital role when explained in eastern religions. If I can digress if channeled to personalized it is the root of darmic teaching and in Christianity it needs to be disected into the movement of the thought of God, the potent energy that lays latent between answers and questions regarding the relationship of inanimate universe and God. Also it serves as an potent intermediary(like coffee) which you can compare to time if you view God from a personal view which can create plural mnemonical answers toward your reality towards God. It has numerous religical thought related to it

Something just dawned on me after reading your reply. I recently researched the nature of the Creator in many African religions as opposed to Christianity (since thats what Im familiar with).

Some religious view god/creator as distant. They depend on the spirits and ancestors to communicate different wants and needs to them since god can't be "near to humans" or beyond human understanding.

How you describe the Holy Spirit sounds the same as we communing with our ancestral spirits to god. What is a holy spirit, though? Ancestral spirits are actual spirits of deceased living souls. Spirits are the actual "soul" of each part of nature.

Yet, the holy spirit isn't the spirit of jesus but came from jesus. It isnt god given both of your explanations.

What is the role and nature of god if the holy spirit is the "verb" at work and not god himself?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
It is written that God dwells in unapproachable light (1 Timothy 6:16) and that no man can see the Face of God yet live Exodus 33:20). God is covered with light. (Psalms 104:2)

I have a story about too much light. It is about something that really happened in the town next to mine some years ago.
It was morning and children were walking to school. In one place, the light was so bright the driver of a car could not see in front of her, but she kept going. She hit a group of young women who were crossing there and she killed one of them. I have been driving a long time. I know that kind of blindness is very rare. Wisdom tells me that if I am blinded while driving, I should not drive until I can see. It happened just the other day. My son does not have his drivers license yet and as I drove with him into the parking lot of a housing development it happened to me, so I stopped and I told him that when it happens that the light is so bright you can't see, then, STOP, for goodness' sake! It is wrong to drive blind.

So even though I believe God is not a physical body, I need The Holy Spirit to lead and to teach me. Jesus is he who calls people to The Holy Spirit.

I like your story. Good comparison.

To probe a bit. Since god is spirit, how is his nature different than that of the holy spirit to where god/spirit is a blinding light and the holy spirit is not?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I like your story. Good comparison.

To probe a bit. Since god is spirit, how is his nature different than that of the holy spirit to where god/spirit is a blinding light and the holy spirit is not?
I think that the reason it is written that "God is Spirit" just refers to the fact that God is not flesh.
so, Holy Spirit is God's Spirit like octopus arms. Holy Spirit is God reaching out of the light. IMHO Jesus is The Holy Spirit who dwelt on the Earth and I know why. THEY don't care why The Holy Spirit had to be a man.

Aiviu

I think that the reason it is written that "God is Spirit" just refers to the fact that God is not flesh.
so, Holy Spirit is God's Spirit like octopus arms. Holy Spirit is God reaching out of the light. IMHO Jesus is The Holy Spirit who dwelt on the Earth and I know why. THEY don't care why The Holy Spirit had to be a man.

Is somewhere mentioned that the Holy Spirit is unknown to man even if it already exists in them? kind regards

Last edited:

arthra

Baha'i

The Holy Spirit is mentioned in the Baha'i Writings and sources as in the following:

"This Holy Spirit is the mediator between God and His creatures. It is like a mirror facing the sun. As the pure mirror receives light from the sun and transmits this bounty to others, so the Holy Spirit is the mediator of the Holy Light from the Sun of Reality, which it gives to the sanctified realities. It is adorned with all the divine perfections. Every time it appears, the world is renewed, and a new cycle is founded."

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Some Answered Questions, p. 145

rusra02

Premium Member

If youre a trinitarian, god is spirit and so is chist, what Is the holy spirit that differientiates itself from god or christ? And why do you need it as well?

If youre not a trinitarian, how is the holy spirit different from god and why is it necessary?

The Bible reveals that holy spirit is the force God uses to accomplish his will. It is his applied power. God's spirit can help us, strengthen us, and give us wisdom, among many other things. (2 Peter 1:20,21, Luke 4:18, Luke 1:35)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The Bible reveals that holy spirit is the force God uses to accomplish his will. It is his applied power. God's spirit can help us, strengthen us, and give us wisdom, among many other things. (2 Peter 1:20,21, Luke 4:18, Luke 1:35)

Hm. What I'm confused about, though, is god is spirit. What is the function of a "holy" spirit when god, himself is holy, and can move in whomever he pleases?

rusra02

Premium Member
Hm. What I'm confused about, though, is god is spirit. What is the function of a "holy" spirit when god, himself is holy, and can move in whomever he pleases?
I believe that since God is the source of this applied power or spirit, this applied power is holy and always used in a righteous way. Nothing God causes is unrighteous or unholy, IMO.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I believe that since God is the source of this applied power or spirit, this applied power is holy and always used in a righteous way. Nothing God causes is unrighteous or unholy, IMO.

I guess I'm asking, in other words, since god is the source he wouldn't need a spirit because he, himself, as the source, would be doing everything. Once you have god, the holy spirit, christ, then the first two seems redundant. Kinda understand?

GoodbyeDave

The idea of the Holy Spirit grew up slowly as people tried to make sense of Christian teachings. So, we have a series of stages:
1. God as one and Jesus as his chosen emissary, an "adopted son": Mark, Paul
2. Jesus as divine and literally the son of God: Luke, Matthew, John
3. God's spirit as separate: several passages in Acts and the Epistles, reinforced by a tendency in Judaism to keep God as transcendent by distinguishing his manifestation from his being:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shekhinah
4. The Father, Son, and Spirit as one, to preserve the monotheism inherited from the Jews.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
^^^ Why we have at least 33,000 denominations of Christians all reading the same book.

robrog8999

Hello! Nice to meet you and hopefully I can answer your question in a simple, direct way.
The Holy Spirit is the most important tool we have while on Earth. He is our connection to God and Jesus. The Holy Spirit is a personage of Spirit [obviously ] which means he can be everywhere and inside of us. He reveals answers to us and helps us to choose what's good. He inspires us and directs us while on Earth. But only if you receive Him. You must be baptised by proper authority and from then on, with faith and good behavior, you will always have the Spirit with you. Basically, you will feel God's love, get answers to any question through feelings and even revelation or visions possibly. He is separate from God and Jesus. He being a personage of Spirit, (God and Jesus are both personages of physical bodies like us now but glorified) God can be with us through The Spirit. Without the Holy Spirit, we would be lost with no direction, no revelation and would not even have the truth. As it is the Spirit who reveals all.
Hopefully that helps!

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Hello! Nice to meet you and hopefully I can answer your question in a simple, direct way.
The Holy Spirit is the most important tool we have while on Earth. He is our connection to God and Jesus. The Holy Spirit is a personage of Spirit [obviously ] which means he can be everywhere and inside of us. He reveals answers to us and helps us to choose what's good. He inspires us and directs us while on Earth. But only if you receive Him. You must be baptised by proper authority and from then on, with faith and good behavior, you will always have the Spirit with you. Basically, you will feel God's love, get answers to any question through feelings and even revelation or visions possibly. He is separate from God and Jesus. He being a personage of Spirit, (God and Jesus are both personages of physical bodies like us now but glorified) God can be with us through The Spirit. Without the Holy Spirit, we would be lost with no direction, no revelation and would not even have the truth. As it is the Spirit who reveals all.
Hopefully that helps!

Let me ask.

If you have god and jesus, what can the holy spirit do that the creator and son -has no ability- to do on their own?

That, and the holy spirit came from christ. Its christ spirit (or divine spirit if you like that people call god). When god said he will send a comfortable its his spirit not an extra one he sends.

Thats how I understand it. The holy spirit sounds redundant.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Hopefully that helps!

Apart for your attempt to define the Holy Spirit as being with only those who are properly Baptised. I would agree with most of what you say.

Where I differ, is that the the Holy spirit is with everyone all the time, he is unavoidable. He guides comforts and leads us no matter what faith we belong to or whether we acknowledge him or not. It is he who leads us to faith in God. With Out the Holy Spirit we would have no direct contact with God.

Kirran

Premium Member
I'm gonna weigh in, even though it wouldn't be unreasonable to say I wasn't a Christian. To me the Holy Spirit isn't an entity separate from God, or in some way separate from the Father. The Holy Spirit is more like a way of experiencing or describing the one God. We can experience God in the transcendent, as the Source of all Creation. You can call God the Father in reference to that. Or we can experience God in the immanent, as the force which moves all things, which speaks to us and guides us and which appears as love within the heart. From that angle we can refer to God as the Holy Spirit. But these aren't different things we're really talking about, it's just about which angle we're talking about approaching God from. IMO!

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Most churches view God as being outside time and space, but not limited by either.
However, virtually all churches place the Holy Spirit firmly with us.
The Holy Spirit is our connection with God in the here and now.