• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Holy Spirit

Silver

Just maybe
Did the Holy Spirit arrive after Jesus went to heaven,
or was it there all along giving people inspiration for the words of the Bible?

Onkara

Hi Silver
It came after Jesus went to heaven, I think. The bible wasn't written until after Jesus died, I think.

Man of Faith

The Bible seems to claim that he (the Holy Spirit) arrived after Jesus left the earth and Jesus himself said that he would sent a comforter after he was gone.
John 16: 7But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you.</SPAN> 8 When he comes, he will prove the world to be in the wrong about sin and righteousness and judgment:

The inspiration could have came from God himself. The Bible tells about God himself coming to earth back in the day.

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
Both. It was in and among the disciples (not to mention OT prophets like Elijah), such as John the Baptist, at least during certain points in time. It was with Jesus. And it was given again after Jesus' death and ascension.

idav

Being
Premium Member
The holy spirit arrived at the baptism of Jesus. Seems that nobody else was really baptized until after the parting of Jesus.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
I thought it was the holy spirit that took all the first borns in egypt (story of moses)?

arthra

Baha'i
In my Faith the Holy Spirit has always been there

Therefore, men have always been taught and led by the Prophets of God. The Prophets of God are the Mediators of God. All the Prophets and Messengers have come from One Holy Spirit and bear the Message of God, fitted to the age in which they appear. The One Light is in them and they are One with each other. But the Eternal does not become phenomenal; neither can the phenomenal become Eternal.

(Abdu'l-Baha, Abdu'l-Baha in London, p. 24)

Onkara

In my Faith the Holy Spirit has always been there

Therefore, men have always been taught and led by the Prophets of God. The Prophets of God are the Mediators of God. All the Prophets and Messengers have come from One Holy Spirit and bear the Message of God, fitted to the age in which they appear. The One Light is in them and they are One with each other. But the Eternal does not become phenomenal; neither can the phenomenal become Eternal.

(Abdu'l-Baha, Abdu'l-Baha in London, p. 24)

Do people need to be baptised (or under go another ritual) to receive it or is it present for everyone from conception, Arthra?

rusra02

Premium Member

God's holy spirit was present from earth's creation onward. (Genesis 1:2) The holy spirit is not a person. Thus, David could pray: "Teach me to do your will, For you are my God. Your spirit is good; May it lead me in the land of uprightness." (Psalm 143:10) God "the Father in heaven give holy spirit to those asking him!” (Luke 11:13) I believe God's spirit is his applied power or active force, and both pre-Christian and Christian servants of God were directed by holy spirit: "For prophecy was at no time brought by man’s will, but men spoke from God as they were borne along by holy spirit" (2 Peter 1:21)

arthra

Baha'i
Do people need to be baptised (or under go another ritual) to receive it or is it present for everyone from conception, Arthra?

Sorry Onkara for the late response...!

For Baha'is there is no "ritual" to receive the Holy Spirit...

Spiritual progress is through the breaths of the Holy Spirit and is the awakening of the conscious soul of man to perceive the reality of divinity.

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Baha'i World Faith, p. 227

O NOBLE friends; seekers after God! Praise be to God! Today the light of Truth is shining upon the world in its abundance; the breezes of the heavenly garden are blowing throughout all regions; the call of the Kingdom is heard in all lands, and the breath of the Holy Spirit is felt in all hearts that are faithful. The Spirit of God is giving eternal life. In this wonderful age the East is enlightened, the West is fragrant, and everywhere the soul inhales the holy perfume. The sea of the unity of mankind is lifting up its waves with joy, for there is real communication between the hearts and minds of men. The banner of the Holy Spirit is uplifted, and men see it, and are assured with the knowledge that this is a new day.

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Abdu'l-Baha in London, p. 19

God's holy spirit was present from earth's creation onward. (Genesis 1:2) The holy spirit is not a person. Thus, David could pray: "Teach me to do your will, For you are my God. Your spirit is good; May it lead me in the land of uprightness." (Psalm 143:10) God "the Father in heaven give holy spirit to those asking him!” (Luke 11:13) I believe God's spirit is his applied power or active force, and both pre-Christian and Christian servants of God were directed by holy spirit: "For prophecy was at no time brought by man’s will, but men spoke from God as they were borne along by holy spirit" (2 Peter 1:21)

I think this is a good answer. However, I believe that the Holy Spirit plays a unique role in relation to Jesus in the process of rebirth. This may sound unusual, but I think that the Holy Spirit stands as a feminine (not masculine) counterpart in relation to Jesus. Believers enter into the womb of the Spirit to receive rebirth. As Jesus said, unless one is born of the water (our mother's womb) and the Spirit, we can't see the kingdom of God.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
I think this is a good answer. However, I believe that the Holy Spirit plays a unique role in relation to Jesus in the process of rebirth. This may sound unusual, but I think that the Holy Spirit stands as a feminine (not masculine) counterpart in relation to Jesus. Believers enter into the womb of the Spirit to receive rebirth. As Jesus said, unless one is born of the water (our mother's womb) and the Spirit, we can't see the kingdom of God.

This isnt the first time I have heard someone say that they believe the Holy Spirit to be feminine.

Makes me wonder what or who the holy spirit is specifically.

rusra02

Premium Member

Acts 2:17 records Peter's quotation from Joel 2:28: "And in the last days, God says, "I shall pour out some of my spirit upon every sort of flesh."
At Jesus baptism, "After being baptized Jesus immediately came up from the water; and, look! the heavens were opened up, and he saw descending like a dove God’s spirit coming upon him. Look! Also, there was a voice from the heavens that said: “This is my Son, the beloved, whom I have approved.” (Matthew 3:16,17)
These scriptures reveal that this spirit belongs to God (my spirit) and that he can use it to accomplish his will. I do not believe anything in Scripture indicates the spirit is a person, male or female.

HeartFire

Shades of Reason
The Holy Spirit has always been present in this world. A measure of its power has been had by a select few throughout biblical history. Jesus possessed this Spirit fully. When he ascended into heaven, the Holy Spirit was made available to everyone who would embrace her. I think people err when they view the Spirit as an entity, however.

Simply put, I believe the Spirit is the love and wisdom of our Creator. In times past, the wisdom of love was not a thing to be honored, but by a few. Worldly wisdom trumped heavenly wisdom. Today, heavenly wisdom is making a comeback in those who honor her. Love is the heavenly wisdom and Holy Spirit of God. Solomon has much to say about her.