• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The history of religion

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Religion and philosophy aren't mutually exclusive terms. I'd go as far as to say all religions qualify as philosophies. And I don't see why supernatural should need to be required for the term religion. And I certainly wouldn't say to someone who says "My religion is LaVayan Satanism" "actually that's just a philosophy," which is both incorrect and rude.
I would agree that religion is a specific form of philosophy, one that includes supernatural beings.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
If you are going to try to pretend that there are no variations of Buddhism that believe in buddhas as supernatural bneings, then I have nothing to say to you. Not all opinions are equal, and some things are just common knowledge. People PRAY to Quan Yin, for example. See you later, gator.
I wasn't pretending there are no variations. Buddhism is well known for variations, so it is hard to generalise. You asked for examples and I gave them. Some Buddhists do indeed pray to the bodhisattva Quan Yin. Likewise, some Buddhists accept no supernatural beliefs - which is what you asked for examples of. See you later.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Like what? Killing girls for not wearing properly the hijab and prohibiting women to abort if they so wish or have to?
How about the hundreds of religions that aren't Abrahamic ones?

Also, neverminding that plenty of religions are female led, misogyny isn't squarely the realm of religious views either. As antitheist totalitarian regimes were also not great towards women and other oppressed people, as totalitarianism with any religious or irreligious belief encourages tribalism under nationalism and national traditional values regardless of whether they had religious origins.

And plenty of non-religious apologetics in secular circles exist, see Jordan Peterson who thinks feminism is the downfall of Western civilization.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I would agree that religion is a specific form of philosophy, one that includes supernatural beings.
I, and the dictionary and how religion is classified in civics and social studies, would disagree with you. While religion often has elements of supernaturalism, it isn't required.

To many pagans I've met 'supernaturalism' isn't even a concept that makes coherent sense in their religion. As everything that exists is part of and subject to the operations of nature. There is nothing superior to or above nature in their religious faith.

IndigoChild5559

I wasn't pretending there are no variations. Buddhism is well known for variations, so it is hard to generalise. You asked for examples and I gave them. Some Buddhists do indeed pray to the bodhisattva Quan Yin. Likewise, some Buddhists accept no supernatural beliefs - which is what you asked for examples of. See you later.
Sounds like we are on the same page then. Be well.

IndigoChild5559

I, and the dictionary and how religion is classified in civics and social studies, would disagree with you. While religion often has elements of supernaturalism, it isn't required.

To many pagans I've met 'supernaturalism' isn't even a concept that makes coherent sense in their religion. As everything that exists is part of and subject to the operations of nature. There is nothing superior to or above nature in their religious faith.
re·li·gion
/rəˈlij(ə)n/
noun
the belief in and worship of a superhuman power or powers, especially a God or gods.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I'll just leave these here:

1678698371600.png

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
re·li·gion
/rəˈlij(ə)n/
noun
the belief in and worship of a superhuman power or powers, especially a God or gods.
First of all, superhuman =/= supernatural and especially =/= exclusively.
Second of all, click the link and look at the expanded examples because religion like most things has more than one definition. Here, I'll help.Screenshot_20230313_020509_Chrome.jpg

You can also look at religious studies texts for further expansion into the field which reviews religions, including religions that are atheistic and physicalist/materialist or otherwise nondual.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
And some Buddhists :)
And some Hindus. ;)

Trimijopulos

Hard-core atheist
Premium Member
How about the hundreds of religions that aren't Abrahamic ones?

Of all the sources of human misery, religion is the most ridiculous (and the only one I can fight against).

As regards Abrahamic, all religions are Abrahamic in the sense that the gods were born in the ancient Near East. Zeus was a rapist who was constantly raping common girls. Yahweh, in his earthly identity was a ‘Bull’, as Zeus and every other god were, and in his heavenly identity impregnated Virgin Mary of the Christians.

Misogyny is the work of theologians who cannot stand the idea that all their gods were born of common women (a fact proving that all gods were/are fake).

Colt

Religious writings such as scriptures are not produced by historians or philosophers, they are produced by religious people.

"True religion is the act of an individual soul in its self- conscious relations with the Creator, organized religion is man's attempt to socialize the worship of individual religionists."
143:7.2 UB 1955