• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The History of Muslim Spain

The History of Muslim Spain:

granada_la_alhambra.jpg

When you think of European culture, one of the first things that may come to your mind is the renaissance. Many of the roots of European culture can be traced back to that glorious time of art, science, commerce and architecture. But did you know that long before the renaissance there was a place of humanistic beauty in Muslim Spain? Not only was it artistic, scientific and commercial, but it also exhibited incredible tolerance, imagination and poetry. Moors, as the Spaniards call the Muslims, populated Spain for nearly 700 years. As you'll see, it was their civilization that enlightened Europe and brought it out of the dark ages to usher in the renaissance. Many of their cultural and intellectual influences still live with us today.

Grenada2-11.gif

Way back during the eighth century, Europe was still knee-deep in the Medieval period. That's not the only thing they were knee-deep in. In his book, "The Day The Universe Changed," the historian James Burke describes how the typical European townspeople lived:

"The inhabitants threw all their refuse into the drains in the center of the narrow streets. The stench must have been overwhelming, though it appears to have gone virtually unnoticed. Mixed with excrement and urine would be the soiled reeds and straw used to cover the dirt floors. (p. 32)

By the beginning of the ninth century, Muslim Spain was the gem of Europe with its capital city, Cordova. With the establishment of Abdurrahman III - "the great caliphate of Cordova" - came the golden age of Al-Andalus. Cordova, in southern Spain, was the intellectual center of Europe.

Granada%20Albaicin%20Alhambra3.JPG

Alhambra Place in Granada, Spain, the most visited place in Spain and the second most visited in Europe.

At a time when London was a tiny mud-hut village that "could not boast of a single streetlamp" (Digest, 1973, p 622), in Cordova "there were half a million inhabitants, living in 113,000 houses. There were 700 mosques and 300 public baths spread throughout the city and its twenty-one suburbs. The streets were paved and lit." (Burke, 1985, p 38 ) The houses had marble balconies for summer and hot-air ducts under the mosaic floors for the winter. They were adorned with gardens with artificial fountains and orchards". (Digest, 1973, p 622 ) "Paper, a material still unknown to the west, was everywhere. There were bookshops and more than seventy libraries." (Burke, 1985, p 38 ).

Read more about Muslim Spain from Dean Derhak, famous English Historian:

http://www.xmission.com/~dderhak/index/moors.htm

anders

When I think of European culture, I am very grateful to the Arabs. The Greek picked up a lot of Moslem science, much of which unfortunately was forgotten later, or suppressed by the Church, like the fact that the earth is round, and then propagated this learning to the rest of Europe.

And think of Moslem Spain: Shield shows part of it, but it is impossible to describe the marvellous Alhambra in words. It is just fabulous! (BTW, Alhambra is, of course, pure Arabic: Qasr al-humra means The red castle.) During the Moorish time, there were libraries and public baths in every part of the towns. The rest of Europe did not know how to read - or how to keep clean - at that time. Arabic geographers, travelling all over the world, were appalled by the filthy habits of the people they met in Europe.

One may wonder why the "Western" world now "seems" to be so much ahead of many Moslem countries. On the other hand, perhaps we would be better off if we gave more attention to the spiritual components of life than of desperately trying to advance science.

True andres, I have been there in Alhambra 4 months ago, I returned to my ancient city 511 years after the catholics forced my family out after they slaughtered most of them...it was very emotional time, I cried when I saw Alhambra for the first time in 500 years !!!!

I stayed there for 1 week, we rented ancient arabic house in the arabic part of Granada, in the night, I could feel the spirits of my ancestors running in the vally that separate the house from Alhambra...it was very emotional time.