• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Hindu proselytizers

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I've often said, 'Hindus don't proselytize' but it occurred to me recently that the Gods of Hinduism themselves sort of do. Not exactly the same as the common definition, but it's still there. In my many years at this, discussing with other Hindus, reading stories, etc, I realised that a significant number of Hindu adoptives and converts first got interested due to a God vision or dream, right out of the blue. The many stories go something like this:

"I have a question. Last night while dreaming (meditating) I say an image of a blue figure, humanoid. At the same time I heard soothing flute music. Can anyone here tell me who this might be?"

Thoughts?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yeah, Gods and Goddesses create beautiful images in mind, Shiva with his aloofness, Vishnu with his humility, Ganesha as the remover of obstacles, Murugan as the valiant and teacher, Parvati, Durga and Kali as caring and fearless mothers, Lakshmi as the provider, Saraswati as the inspiration, Rama for his dutifulness, Krishna for his mischief and Hanuman as a loyal friend.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I've often said, 'Hindus don't proselytize' but it occurred to me recently that the Gods of Hinduism themselves sort of do. Not exactly the same as the common definition, but it's still there. In my many years at this, discussing with other Hindus, reading stories, etc, I realised that a significant number of Hindu adoptives and converts first got interested due to a God vision or dream, right out of the blue. The many stories go something like this:

"I have a question. Last night while dreaming (meditating) I say an image of a blue figure, humanoid. At the same time I heard soothing flute music. Can anyone here tell me who this might be?"

Thoughts?

You're right, I think!

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
I've often said, 'Hindus don't proselytize' but it occurred to me recently that the Gods of Hinduism themselves sort of do. Not exactly the same as the common definition, but it's still there.

I know what you mean. It’s not, ‘Hello, neighbor! Do you have a moment to talk about the Kaṭhopaniṣad?’ Also, it’s definitely not, ‘Unless you believe Śivoham, you will perish in your karmic demerits.’ In my experience, it was that Gajānana and Śiva were suddenly appealing, so I just had to adore them.

In my many years at this, discussing with other Hindus, reading stories, etc, I realised that a significant number of Hindu adoptives and converts first got interested due to a God vision or dream, right out of the blue.

In my case, there were no dreams of Hindu deities. As I had mentioned elsewhere, I had a dream once where I heard and saw things pertaining to Sikhi that I had not learned beforehand. I was amazed shortly after the dream when I read about those things for the first time. Nonetheless, I prefer Sanātana Dharma over Sikhi.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I do believe the gods call us, and they have their reasons and their plans. It sounds like an Abrahamic concept that God has a purpose or plan but in Norse, Greek, Roman and other belief systems there are stories of people being chosen, favored, called or poked by a god or goddess. The first god I was somehow drawn to was Hanuman when I was into running, weightlifting and fitness. Then it was Saraswati when I began learning and playing guitar. I believe she handed me off to Krishna as God because I was searching. I was just coming off of agnostic deism and didn't know just who God was. I still pray to her and Ganesha when I start a practice session, and to Hanuman when I work out. And though he is not in the Hindu pantheon I am very much drawn to Thor. Our personalities are very similar, there is a resonance. So yes, I think they are more active in recruiting than most people think.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The relationships we Hindus have with Gods is so very personal and real. The temple visit is truly one where you visit God. Once on pilgrimage to Kadavul temple in Hawaii, a senior monk, one we've known for a long time, happened to be on the main path to the temple. This was the first day of our pilgrimage, and the first morning of attendance. He simple said, "He's (referring to Siva) waiting for you." It is so true.

At my local temple, many devotees totally ignore me (for those who may not know, I'm a landscaper) as they pass on their way in, indicating they've come to see God, not me or any other person. They KNOW it is God's home. But then, once they've done their visiting with God, and back out on their way to the car, they will stop and visit for a bit.

So after that first introduction from a dream, a sighting, a vision, a voice, etc. there are many more meetings to come. I look forward to each one of them. Friday is our day just now. Ganapati, the sweet Lord of Obstacles, awaits us.

Edited ... On Saturday, we'll go see His Father Dance ... it's one of the 4 days here where the Divine Dancer of the Tandava dance gets His bath. He becomes the center of the Vasantha Mandapam for the occasion. I made Him a garland. It was the very least I could do.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
The relationships we Hindus have with Gods is so very personal and real. The temple visit is truly one where you visit God. Once on pilgrimage to Kadavul temple in Hawaii, a senior monk, one we've known for a long time, happened to be on the main path to the temple. This was the first day of our pilgrimage, and the first morning of attendance. He simple said, "He's (referring to Siva) waiting for you." It is so true.

At my local temple, many devotees totally ignore me (for those who may not know, I'm a landscaper) as they pass on their way in, indicating they've come to see God, not me or any other person. They KNOW it is God's home. But then, once they've done their visiting with God, and back out on their way to the car, they will stop and visit for a bit.

So after that first introduction from a dream, a sighting, a vision, a voice, etc. there are many more meetings to come. I look forward to each one of them. Friday is our day just now. Ganapati, the sweet Lord of Obstacles, awaits us.

Edited ... On Saturday, we'll go see His Father Dance ... it's one of the 4 days here where the Divine Dancer of the Tandava dance gets His bath. He becomes the center of the Vasantha Mandapam for the occasion. I made Him a garland. It was the very least I could do.

This is very true. Krishna is my friend, and he feels as near to me as the buddy who comes over to bake cakes on Sundays. He doesn't exist only on some 'other plane' stuff like I hear from some... he is in my kitchen(I oughta clean up out there), and at the gas station down the block, and swimming in the creek a mile away. And everywhere else, too.

My first experience with him wasn't in a temple, though. It was in a car, driving down the road(Park Ave, to be exact). He knew I wouldn't know enough to go to a temple, so he met me where I was, as soon as I called for him. My husband had his first experiences with Shiva in a temple(as did I).

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
This is very true. Krishna is my friend, and he feels as near to me as the buddy who comes over to bake cakes on Sundays. He doesn't exist only on some 'other plane' stuff like I hear from some... he is in my kitchen(I oughta clean up out there), and at the gas station down the block, and swimming in the creek a mile away. And everywhere else, too.

My first experience with him wasn't in a temple, though. It was in a car, driving down the road(Park Ave, to be exact). He knew I wouldn't know enough to go to a temple, so he met me where I was, as soon as I called for him. My husband had his first experiences with Shiva in a temple(as did I).

That's interesting. I see Ganesha getting out and about sometimes as well. In many temples that have annual festivals, the parade around the neighbourhood is for that specific purpose. I was in Mauritius during their 10 day celebration of Thai Pusam, and Murugan went around the neighbourhood every night. A friend there explained, especially of the invalid, and ill. "They can't go see Him, so he goes to see them. There, even Muslims and Christians would come out of their house, offer a fruit or flowers. Such a tolerant place.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
That's interesting. I see Ganesha getting out and about sometimes as well. In many temples that have annual festivals, the parade around the neighbourhood is for that specific purpose. I was in Mauritius during their 10 day celebration of Thai Pusam, and Murugan went around the neighbourhood every night. A friend there explained, especially of the invalid, and ill. "They can't go see Him, so he goes to see them. There, even Muslims and Christians would come out of their house, offer a fruit or flowers. Such a tolerant place.

I suppose if one(even a God) is proselytizing, you have to meet your intended target where they are! :D

That's awesome that they are so tolerant there. I heard that when the temple I go to obtained their land, they bought so much in hopes that other religious institutions would also want to build as well, but it didn't happen.

The attitude of tolerance and community is one of the things I love about Hinduism.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I suppose if one(even a God) is proselytizing, you have to meet your intended target where they are! :D

That's awesome that they are so tolerant there. I heard that when the temple I go to obtained their land, they bought so much in hopes that other religious institutions would also want to build as well, but it didn't happen.

The attitude of tolerance and community is one of the things I love about Hinduism.

I'm curious about meeting Krishna while driving down the road. My first religious experience (that I remember) was on a swather in a barley field. That was Siva too, although I didn't know it at the time. Seems they can cast their fishing lines almost anywhere.

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I'm curious about meeting Krishan while driving down the road. My first religious experience (that I remember) was on a swather in a barley field. That was Siva too, although I didn't know it at the time. Seems they can cast their fishing lines almost anywhere.

I didn't know much about Hinduism at the time. I did have a copy of the Gita, but as I collect books, this wasn't a remarkable thing. I had read a little out of it, and more so than anything, a bit of the commentary had made me giggle. He said something akin to "Krishna has many arms, let him carry your problems for you." I didn't ponder on it much, though.

At the time, I had severe panic attacks and what I believe was mild PTSD. The attacks occurred on a daily basis and were very disrupting. I was driving that day, and they started up, rendering breathing difficult. I thought about pulling over, and became very angry that I should have to live like that. That image of Krishna and his arms popped up in my mind, and I asked if he thought this was funny, and why didn't he just take it away.

And he did. I felt a hand go into my chest, and pull something very heavy out, and then I felt absolute calm. I heard a little friendly laughter. And then I thought it was funny, too. I went home, changed. My husband and I had recently been attack victims, and were greatly agitated about everything at the time, and he started going on about everything going to hell in a handbasket, and I giggled at him, too. Told him I just didn't care anymore. He tried to goad me a few more times, and when he didn't get a reaction, he thought something was really wrong with me! I told him about what happened at that point(he didn't know what to think). But, that was the end of the panic attacks.

How did your experience on the swather go? (I totally had to look up what a swather was.)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I didn't know much about Hinduism at the time. I did have a copy of the Gita, but as I collect books, this wasn't a remarkable thing. I had read a little out of it, and more so than anything, a bit of the commentary had made me giggle. He said something akin to "Krishna has many arms, let him carry your problems for you." I didn't ponder on it much, though.

At the time, I had severe panic attacks and what I believe was mild PTSD. The attacks occurred on a daily basis and were very disrupting. I was driving that day, and they started up, rendering breathing difficult. I thought about pulling over, and became very angry that I should have to live like that. That image of Krishna and his arms popped up in my mind, and I asked if he thought this was funny, and why didn't he just take it away.

And he did. I felt a hand go into my chest, and pull something very heavy out, and then I felt absolute calm. I heard a little friendly laughter. And then I thought it was funny, too. I went home, changed. My husband and I had recently been attack victims, and were greatly agitated about everything at the time, and he started going on about everything going to hell in a handbasket, and I giggled at him, too. Told him I just didn't care anymore. He tried to goad me a few more times, and when he didn't get a reaction, he thought something was really wrong with me! I told him about what happened at that point(he didn't know what to think). But, that was the end of the panic attacks.

How did your experience on the swather go? (I totally had to look up what a swather was.)

I was 14 or 15 at the time. I was watching the tire line, as you have to drive those things straight, looked up, and just got this incredible rush of energy for no reason at all. It was a 'Whoa!" moment.

So many times I've had non-Hindus notice energy, and call it 'something'. Two weeks ago while visiting my non-practicing Christian elderly aunt we were chatting about her trip to Australia and the circumambulation of the famous Ayres Rock. She said, "I swear there was something there!" and Boss and I both giggled. At first she thought we were being skeptical, and giggling at her nonsense. I read the situation and had to explain, "Oh, no Auntie, we totally believe you, it's just that that sort of thing happens to us all the time."

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I was 14 or 15 at the time. I was watching the tire line, as you have to drive those things straight, looked up, and just got this incredible rush of energy for no reason at all. It was a 'Whoa!" moment.

So many times I've had non-Hindus notice energy, and call it 'something'. Two weeks ago while visiting my non-practicing Christian elderly aunt we were chatting about her trip to Australia and the circumambulation of the famous Ayres Rock. She said, "I swear there was something there!" and Boss and I both giggled. At first she thought we were being skeptical, and giggling at her nonsense. I read the situation and had to explain, "Oh, no Auntie, we totally believe you, it's just that that sort of thing happens to us all the time."

Sounds like an awesome experience on the swather.

Nice you were able to share Ayres Rock with your aunt.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Sounds like an awesome experience on the swather.

Nice you were able to share Ayres Rock with your aunt.
Just to clarify, I've never been to Australia. What we shared was the idea, that there's 'something' there. Hills are sacred in all kinds of cultures. Sundial Hill in southern Alberta is sacred to indigenous people here.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Just to clarify, I've never been to Australia. What we shared was the idea, the there's 'something' there. Hills are sacred in all kinds of cultures. Sundial Hill in southern Alberta is sacred to indigenous people here.

That makes sense. I take it circumambulating and feeling 'something there' was a new experience for her?

I haven't had a lot of chances to experience hills. Its pretty flat around here. It gets a little hilly around the Mississippi River, but I'm not sure there's anything a person could walk around without stumbling into private property(which tends to be fenced off).

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
That makes sense. I take it circumambulating and feeling 'something there' was a new experience for her?

I haven't had a lot of chances to experience hills. Its pretty flat around here. It gets a little hilly around the Mississippi River, but I'm not sure there's anything a person could walk around without stumbling into private property(which tends to be fenced off).
Arunachala, Kailas, Palani, and Tiruparunkandram are 4 ones I know of in India. Of course there are many many more. It must be quite the pilgrimage to circumambulate Kailas. Even Arunachala takes 5 hours or so.

Edited ... Circumambulation of Mount Kailash

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
There are many more. Govardhana, Chitrakoot and Kinner Kailash, Himachal Pradesh (altitude: 4600 meters, 15,000 ft)
Yeah, people circumambulate this rock which is 79 ft high, precipices all around.

196582.jpg
8b3e6369db5b1fbccd0cfb049bf88628.jpg

Last edited: