• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The highly debated topic of the husband beating the “Nashez” wife in the holy Qur’an

mahmoud mrt

I posted this topic in Islam Dir to discus with fellow Muslims, I also want to discuss it with non-Muslims so I post it again here

Here we tackle the highly debated topic of the husband beating the “Nashez” wife, which means arrogantly hurting her husband by means of letting the persons he hates into the house, & arrogant disobedience.

First, we must mention the nature of the holy Qur’an, the holy Qur’an is a small book leading to one integrated sentence, Which means that The holy Quran is Not an arranged topic by topic chapter by chapter book, it’s a Net of orders and stories closely related diversely located.

Which means that to understand the holy Qur’an’s point of view in any subject you must bring in front of you each and every verse related to the topic including a verse in the beginning of the book, a verse in the middle, and a verse at the end, etc., Then Read these diversely located verses as a one integrated sentence.

This Golden Rule in understating the holy Qur’an is known to all top Academic Muslims Scholars and is a key to understand the Holy Qur’an.

What the extremists violent groups do is that they intentionally ignore this Golden rule and pic one verse, isolate it and build their wrong criminal ill judgment on this incomplete isolated verse. They even sometimes pic only a part of a verse not even completing it.

The holy Qur’an clearly Blames and condemns any person who divides the holy Qur’an not understanding it as one integrated sentence:

Holy Qur’an, Sura 15 Al-Hijr:

[Verse 90: Just as We had revealed [scriptures] to the separators
91: Who have made the Qur'an into portions.
92: So by your Lord, We will surely question them all
93: About what they used to do.]

Now we get back to beating the “Nashez” wife, this was mentioned in the holy Qur’an in Sura 4 An-Nisa’:

[Verse 34: Men are in charge of women by [right of] what Allah has given one over the other and what they spend [for maintenance] from their wealth. So righteous women are devoutly obedient, guarding in [the husband's] absence what Allah would have them guard. But those [wives] from whom you fear “Noshooz: Nashez” arrogance - [first] advise them; [then if they persist], forsake them in bed; and [finally], strike them. But if they obey you [once more], seek no means against them. Indeed, Allah is ever Exalted and Grand.]

Let us see how to holy Qur’an explains beating the wife "Surah Sad “The Letter Saad” Sura 38:

[Verses 41: And remember Our servant Job, when he called to his Lord, "Indeed, Satan has touched me with hardship and torment."
42: [So he was told], "Strike [the ground] with your foot; this is a [spring for] a cool bath and drink."
43: And We granted him his family and a like [number] with them as mercy from Us and a reminder for those of understanding.
44: [We said], "And take in your hand a bunch [of grass] “Deghth” and strike with it and do not break your oath." Indeed, We found him patient, an excellent servant. Indeed, he was one repeatedly turning back [to Allah ].]

These verses speak of the Prophet Ayub “Job” peace be upon him, and the word “Deghth” is a bunch of grass filling the hand, because when he was ill in the bed he swore to hit his wife a hundred lashes when he heals, the reason for this is not mentioned because the holy Qur’an respects the in-house privacy, so God ordered him to take a bunch of 100 pieces of grass and strike with it only one strike,

This is the beating of the “Nashez” wife, something very symbolic and does not contain any pain, just a handful of soft grass or other stuff that does not hurt, Only a kind of caress that leads to a message to women, and even this as a last resort and chosen according to the husband's assessment of the feasibility with his wife and cultural and social background. There are two solutions before it, namely preaching and abandonment in bed.

Regards,
Mahmoud

mahmoud mrt

The "Men are in charge of women..." part will find much objection here.

Islam Views Marriage as a very important institution, and every successful institution or company should have 1 CEO, This does means dictatorship or one sided decisions at all.

The holy Qur’an ordered for consultation with both the husband and wife agreeing in every aspect even in the duration of breast feeding of the baby:

Holy Qur’an, Sura 2 “Al-Baqarah” verse 233:

[Mothers may breastfeed their children two complete years for whoever wishes to complete the nursing [period]. Upon the father is the mothers' provision and their clothing according to what is acceptable. No person is charged with more than his capacity. No mother should be harmed through her child, and no father through his child. And upon the [father's] heir is [a duty] like that [of the father]. And if they both desire weaning through mutual consent from both of them and consultation, there is no blame upon either of them. And if you wish to have your children nursed by a substitute, there is no blame upon you as long as you give payment according to what is acceptable. And fear Allah and know that Allah is Seeing of what you do]

Islam Views marriage as very intimate Institution where the husband has duties and the wife has duties, Either of them can leave this institution when they want, for the husband the divorce is called “Talaq” ,and for the wife it’s called “Kola’ Talaq”.

This institution is very successful since centuries, only when many Muslim men & women started neglecting these rules the govern this institution it fails and divorce happen, around 45% of marriages end with divorce very early every year in Egypt my home country.

Regards,
Mahmoud

syo

nature orders that woman commands and man obeys. whether you like it or not.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I posted this topic in Islam Dir to discus with fellow Muslims, I also want to discuss it with non-Muslims so I post it again here

Here we tackle the highly debated topic of the husband beating the “Nashez” wife, which means arrogantly hurting her husband by means of letting the persons he hates into the house, & arrogant disobedience.

First, we must mention the nature of the holy Qur’an, the holy Qur’an is a small book leading to one integrated sentence, Which means that The holy Quran is Not an arranged topic by topic chapter by chapter book, it’s a Net of orders and stories closely related diversely located.

Which means that to understand the holy Qur’an’s point of view in any subject you must bring in front of you each and every verse related to the topic including a verse in the beginning of the book, a verse in the middle, and a verse at the end, etc., Then Read these diversely located verses as a one integrated sentence.

This Golden Rule in understating the holy Qur’an is known to all top Academic Muslims Scholars and is a key to understand the Holy Qur’an.

What the extremists violent groups do is that they intentionally ignore this Golden rule and pic one verse, isolate it and build their wrong criminal ill judgment on this incomplete isolated verse. They even sometimes pic only a part of a verse not even completing it.

The holy Qur’an clearly Blames and condemns any person who divides the holy Qur’an not understanding it as one integrated sentence:

Holy Qur’an, Sura 15 Al-Hijr:

[Verse 90: Just as We had revealed [scriptures] to the separators
91: Who have made the Qur'an into portions.
92: So by your Lord, We will surely question them all
93: About what they used to do.]

Now we get back to beating the “Nashez” wife, this was mentioned in the holy Qur’an in Sura 4 An-Nisa’:

[Verse 34: Men are in charge of women by [right of] what Allah has given one over the other and what they spend [for maintenance] from their wealth. So righteous women are devoutly obedient, guarding in [the husband's] absence what Allah would have them guard. But those [wives] from whom you fear “Noshooz: Nashez” arrogance - [first] advise them; [then if they persist], forsake them in bed; and [finally], strike them. But if they obey you [once more], seek no means against them. Indeed, Allah is ever Exalted and Grand.]

Let us see how to holy Qur’an explains beating the wife "Surah Sad “The Letter Saad” Sura 38:

[Verses 41: And remember Our servant Job, when he called to his Lord, "Indeed, Satan has touched me with hardship and torment."
42: [So he was told], "Strike [the ground] with your foot; this is a [spring for] a cool bath and drink."
43: And We granted him his family and a like [number] with them as mercy from Us and a reminder for those of understanding.
44: [We said], "And take in your hand a bunch [of grass] “Deghth” and strike with it and do not break your oath." Indeed, We found him patient, an excellent servant. Indeed, he was one repeatedly turning back [to Allah ].]

These verses speak of the Prophet Ayub “Job” peace be upon him, and the word “Deghth” is a bunch of grass filling the hand, because when he was ill in the bed he swore to hit his wife a hundred lashes when he heals, the reason for this is not mentioned because the holy Qur’an respects the in-house privacy, so God ordered him to take a bunch of 100 pieces of grass and strike with it only one strike,

This is the beating of the “Nashez” wife, something very symbolic and does not contain any pain, just a handful of soft grass or other stuff that does not hurt, Only a kind of caress that leads to a message to women, and even this as a last resort and chosen according to the husband's assessment of the feasibility with his wife and cultural and social background. There are two solutions before it, namely preaching and abandonment in bed.

Regards,
Mahmoud
I am sorry. The latter is clearly a one time dispensation made for that specific Prophet. Where is the verse that says strike wife in the way told to this one guy?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Islam Views Marriage as a very important institution, and every successful institution or company should have 1 CEO, This does means dictatorship or one sided decisions at all.

The holy Qur’an ordered for consultation with both the husband and wife agreeing in every aspect even in the duration of breast feeding of the baby:

Holy Qur’an, Sura 2 “Al-Baqarah” verse 233:

[Mothers may breastfeed their children two complete years for whoever wishes to complete the nursing [period]. Upon the father is the mothers' provision and their clothing according to what is acceptable. No person is charged with more than his capacity. No mother should be harmed through her child, and no father through his child. And upon the [father's] heir is [a duty] like that [of the father]. And if they both desire weaning through mutual consent from both of them and consultation, there is no blame upon either of them. And if you wish to have your children nursed by a substitute, there is no blame upon you as long as you give payment according to what is acceptable. And fear Allah and know that Allah is Seeing of what you do]

Islam Views marriage as very intimate Institution where the husband has duties and the wife has duties, Either of them can leave this institution when they want, for the husband the divorce is called “Talaq” ,and for the wife it’s called “Kola’ Talaq”.

This institution is very successful since centuries, only when many Muslim men & women started neglecting these rules the govern this institution it fails and divorce happen, around 45% of marriages end with divorce very early every year in Egypt my home country.

Regards,
Mahmoud
No. Marriage is a 50-50 democracy of two. Where there is disagreement, both sides compromise and meet the other half way. Anyways.

idea

Question Everything
nature orders that woman commands and man obeys. whether you like it or not.

I don't know that women "command", many women are very gentle and kind...

It is true though, which animal species now rules the earth? NOT the physically strongest, not lions or tigers or bears... Humans rule - not for physical strength, but from mental capacity.

Which segment of the population is more moral? hmmmmm
U.S.%20Prison%20Population%201980-2012.jpg

smarter?
gender-education-education-gap-history.gif

Who is stronger and better able to cope with adversity? Able to keep living through it all?
ScreenShot007.jpg

Who is stronger?

Last edited:

idea

Question Everything
No. Marriage is a 50-50 democracy of two. Where there is disagreement, both sides compromise and meet the other half way. Anyways.
My grandma said it is not 50-50, it is 100-100. I agree though, equally yoked works best.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

That may or may not be a necessary conclusion from an Islaamic perspective.

I don't know.

I do however know that such a view of marriage will find a lot of trouble being accepted outside of Islaamic circles.

And I know as well that I am happy that it will. Marriage is supposed to be something very different from what you describe.

Srivijaya

Regards,
Mahmoud
These rules are a product of the era in which they were written. Everyone likes to hark back to a golden age when things were simple and people were all happy. I personally don't believe it. Each era had its challenges.

45% seems an unusually high figure for any county though, are you sure it's right? In any case, if two people are unsuited for each other then why not part? The world doesn't end.

I have heard that in order to divorce his wife, a Muslim needs only to repeat "I divorce you!" three times. Is this true or an urban myth?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
A valiant effort to make this all sound so very reasonable, but the admonishment to beat is merely the cherry on the cake of this warped view of relationships. The hilarious notion that men should no longer sleep with their wives to show his displeasure is particularly rich. I can see women ticking men off just to get rid of him for a few days. LOL. Likewise the arrogant admonishment to obey is no longer seen as valid. My guess is that modern feminism hasn't gotten far in the Muslim world ... ... yet.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
These rules are a product of the era in which they were written. Everyone likes to hark back to a golden age when things were simple and people were all happy. I personally don't believe it. Each era had its challenges.

45% seems an unusually high figure for any county though, are you sure it's right? In any case, if two people are unsuited for each other then why not part? The world doesn't end.

I have heard that in order to divorce his wife, a Muslim needs only to repeat "I divorce you!" three times. Is this true or an urban myth?
It's not urban myth. It is true. And in the true spirit of equality it is MUCH more difficult for a woman to get a divorce.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's not urban myth. It is true.
Ref....
Divorce in Islam - Wikipedia
Talaq al-bid'ah and triple talaq[edit]
Talaq types can be classified into talaq al-sunnah, which is thought to be in accordance with Muhammad's teachings, and talaq al-bid'ah, which are viewed as a bid'ah (innovation) deviations from it. Talaq al-sunnah is further subdivided into talaq al-ahsan, which is the least disapproved form of talaq, and talaq al-hasan. The ahsan talaq involves a single revocable pronouncement of divorce and sexual abstinence during the waiting period. The hasan divorce involves three pronouncements made during the wife's state of ritual purity with menstrual periods intervening between them, and no intercourse having taken place during that time.[16]

In contrast to talaq al-sunnah, talaq al-bid'ah does not observe the waiting period and irrevocably terminates the marriage.[16] It may involve a "triple talaq", i.e., the declaration of talaq repeated three times, or a different formula such as "you are haram for me".[16][18] Some legal schools held that a triple talaq performed in a single meeting constituted a "major" divorce, while others classified it as a "minor" divorce.[5] Talaq al-bid'ah reflects pre-Islamic divorce customs rather than Quranic principles, and it is considered to be a particularly disapproved, though legally valid form of divorce in traditional Sunni jurisprudence.[16] According to Islamic tradition, Muhammad denounced the practice of triple talaq, and the second caliph Umar punished husbands who made use of it.[18]

Shiite jurisprudence does not recognize talaq al-bid'ah.[19]

mahmoud mrt

I respect this point of view, but I kindly disagree with it, Example by Example in my relatives, friends and family proves to me that the old rules are the right way to organize the family. I say organize, not constantly reminding your spouse with it blaming him or her.

Human beings need these rules as the last resort when the family integrity is at stake, I don’t assume that the wife is an employee in a company, that’s why I mentioned the verse where it clearly command of consultancy and kindness between the two.

45% seems an unusually high figure for any county though, are you sure it's right?

Yes, the approximate percentage sadly it’s true according to the official Government institutions.

In any case, if two people are unsuited for each other then why not part? The world doesn't end.

Totally Agree with you in this point, life goes on.

No, this is a common mistake, In Islam the divorce and re-marriage is allowed only 2 timely separate times, if the divorce happens the third time, there cannot be a re-marriage except if the ex-wife normally marries another man, then normally eventually is divorced from him, Then she can remarry her Ex-husband.

So Some Ignorant Muslims thought that when you say to your wife “I divorce you” three times it means that there can never be a re-marriage according to the last rule. This way far from the truth according to Official top Scholars & Working Laws.

Even if a Muslim husband repeats “I divorce you” a 100 times it only counts as one time, he still have the other 2 normal times allowance.

Regards,

Mahmoud

Akivah

I once discussed the topic of wife beating with Muslims also. The consensus that I got is that beating a wife is permissible in Islam, but the instrument of beating must be no thicker than a pencil and no bruises can be made. I believe the term was "lightly striking".

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
No, this is a common mistake, In Islam the divorce and re-marriage is allowed only 2 timely separate times, if the divorce happens the third time, there cannot be a re-marriage except if the ex-wife normally marries another man, then normally eventually is divorced from him, Then she can remarry her Ex-husband.

So Some Ignorant Muslims thought that when you say to your wife “I divorce you” three times it means that there can never be a re-marriage according to the last rule. This way far from the truth according to Official top Scholars & Working Laws.

Even if a Muslim husband repeats “I divorce you” a 100 times it only counts as one time, he still have the other 2 normal times allowance.
Do you realize that this doesn't make a lick of sense to the non-Muslim perspective?

I once discussed the topic of wife beating with Muslims also. The consensus that I got is that beating a wife is permissible in Islam, but the instrument of beating must be no thicker than a pencil and no bruises can be made. I believe the term was "lightly striking".
I have been given the same information by Muslims here on RF. The thing is, a very thin and long tree branch could still result in quite a stinging little intruder.

Akivah

I have been given the same information by Muslims here on RF. The thing is, a very thin and long tree branch could still result in quite a stinging little intruder.

IMO, their view on it is bad. Islam condones wife beating, but just rules on the severity of it. That makes for a very slippery slope.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
IMO, their view on it is bad. Islam condones wife beating, but just rules on the severity of it. That makes for a very slippery slope.
It does explain why domestic violence is almost a sport in the Muslim world.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It does explain why domestic violence is almost a sport in the Muslim world.
It also serves as fair (and, alas, by all appearances accurate) indication of what the presumably divinely dictated, inerrant values of the Qur'an are.

Is it any wonder that so often Muslim communities prefer to keep apart instead of attempting to learn to peacefully coexist with others?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
It also serves as fair (and, alas, by all appearances accurate) indication of what the presumably divinely dictated, inerrant values of the Qur'an are.

Is it any wonder that so often Muslim communities prefer to keep apart instead of attempting to learn to peacefully coexist with others?
Add to this the fact that fully 1/2 the human population is not particularly bright and you have a perfect recipe for horrible relationships.