• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The hidden danger of beliefs

Vaderecta

Most people who believe things are reasonable everyday people. They believe in angels or saints, demons or satan or what have you. However when a doctor tries to vaccinate their children or recommends a medical procedure their religion is not what informs their decision. They trust the doctors or scientists or what have you.

The hidden danger is when a belief overcomes these decisions. The idea that you believe something therefore years of study are now invalid because of a belief. This could be mundane things no one cares about... caffiene is bad... I don't really see an issue with people refusing to drink coffee or even alcohol because of their belief. There are serious cases where kids die of diseases they could have been vaccinated against or even worse others catch the disease from kids that were not vaccinated. And its really the tip of the sword. People refuse blood transfusions doctors prescribed because they read an article and have a strong belief that blood transfusions are bad. Christians refusing medical treatmeant of any kind because they trust gods will. And not refusing treatment for themselves but for their kids.

Honestly some of these stories are heart breaking. A person who never studied medical science refuses medical treatment because they think a prayer will be a better treatment or perhaps homeopathic nonsese makes about as much sense to them as actual treatment because they can't understand the difference between the two.

This is not a question of intelligence. This is a core danger of belief. I am not some avatar of truth. I just acknowledge there are many things I have no idea how to fix but I know there are other humans out there that know more than me. This is true of all humans. We all know more about something than someone else and even if we don't we know someone probably knows more than us. Consider a 5 year old walking towards a cliff and chasing a ball... You know you need to stop them. And that 5 year old knows more than a 2 year old and so on and so forth. Reading an article doesn't make you an expert on all of life. You can't equate your belief and idea behind a scripture and a confirming artlicle you read in some biased nonsense with the effort it took someone to dedicate their lives to study the science behind saving others. The very idea that you know more than a doctor because you read an article once and feel differently is the embodiment of selfishness.

Last edited:

danieldemol

Premium Member
I believe in the necessity of consulting the advice of competent physicians.
To me prayer complements the treatment of medics but doesn’t take the place of it.

Vaderecta

I believe in the necessity of consulting the advice of competent physicians.
To me prayer complements the treatment of medics but doesn’t take the place of it.

I believe meditation might help me better accept the advice of others I disagree with and I may want multiple opinions. What value would prayer offer?

Granted if an angel appeared and told you some specific actionable actions I would be behind it but what if it is something else? What if it is a personal attempt to add value to a conversation you know nothing about and want your contribution to be considered as strongly as the medical experts?

Granted I'm not against prayer. Anything that makes people stop and think rather than impulsively react to their environment might be good. Just be careful how seriously you take your own opinions against those of experts. When we build skyscrapers we hire engineers instead of priests. Doctors cure far more cancer than priests.

danieldemol

Premium Member
I believe meditation might help me better accept the advice of others I disagree with and I may want multiple opinions. What value would prayer offer?

Granted if an angel appeared and told you some specific actionable actions I would be behind it but what if it is something else? What if it is a personal attempt to add value to a conversation you know nothing about and want your contribution to be considered as strongly as the medical experts?

Granted I'm not against prayer. Anything that makes people stop and think rather than impulsively react to their environment might be good. Just be careful how seriously you take your own opinions against those of experts. When we build skyscrapers we hire engineers instead of priests. Doctors cure far more cancer than priests.
I don’t see the need for a professional clergy so I wouldn’t even consult a priest to begin with

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Most people who believe things are reasonable everyday people. They believe in angels or saints, demons or satan or what have you. However when a doctor tries to vaccinate their children or recommends a medical procedure their religion is not what informs their decision. They trust the doctors or scientists or what have you.

The hidden danger is when a belief overcomes these decisions. The idea that you believe something therefore years of study are now invalid because of a belief. This could be mundane things no one cares about... caffiene is bad... I don't really see an issue with people refusing to drink coffee or even alcohol because of their belief. There are serious cases where kids die of diseases they could have been vaccinated against or even worse others catch the disease from kids that were not vaccinated. And its really the tip of the sword. People refuse blood transfusions doctors prescribed because they read an article and have a strong belief that blood transfusions are bad. Christians refusing medical treatmeant of any kind because they trust gods will. And not refusing treatment for themselves but for their kids.

Honestly some of these stories are heart breaking. A person who never studied medical science refuses medical treatment because they think a prayer will be a better treatment or perhaps homeopathic nonsese makes about as much sense to them as actual treatment because they can't understand the difference between the two.

This is not a question of intelligence. This is a core danger of belief. I am not some avatar of truth. I just acknowledge there are many things I have no idea how to fix but I know there are other humans out there that know more than me. This is true of all humans. We all know more about something than someone else and even if we don't we know someone probably knows more than us. Consider a 5 year old walking towards a cliff and chasing a ball... You know you need to stop them. And that 5 year old knows more than a 2 year old and so on and so forth. Reading an article doesn't make you an expert on all of life. You can't equate your belief and idea behind a scripture and a confirming artlicle you read in some biased nonsense with the effort it took someone to dedicate their lives to study the science behind saving others. The very idea that you know more than a doctor because you read an article once and feel differently is the embodiment of selfishness.
Different people believe different things. There is not a solution. A major issue is when someone has never experienced a change of belief and can't imagine being wrong. Another problem is that knowing what someone believes is an effective means of control. For example if I don't believe that pollution is destroying the Earth, but I know that you do I can use it to control you to some degree. Your belief, true or not, is convenient for me; so I will reinforce it. The belief by itself is less of a problem then the stubbornness and manipulative nature of people. You can't get rid of beliefs. You can try to ameliorate the stubbornness of people and protect them from manipulation.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member

By praying for a sound mind and wisdom to make the correct decision.

That you have all the information necessary, to make that decision.

That God will bless your choice, so that there won't be unhealthy repercussions.

That the doctor, when performing the procedure, will be sober!

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Different people believe different things. There is not a solution.

Thank you...a great observation. Even people who don't think that they believe in anything, still do. We all have them, and we all have a reason to hold them.

A major issue is when someone has never experienced a change of belief and can't imagine being wrong.

True....someone who holds a belief without knowing why they hold it, is a blind fool. Refusing to consider an alternative because they might have to change their mind or even their lifestyle is unthinkable. They prefer the comfy old slippers to the tight new ones that they don't want to have to break in. The Jews in Jesus' day fit that description.

Another problem is that knowing what someone believes is an effective means of control. For example if I don't believe that pollution is destroying the Earth, but I know that you do I can use it to control you to some degree. Your belief, true or not, is convenient for me; so I will reinforce it. The belief by itself is less of a problem then the stubbornness and manipulative nature of people. You can't get rid of beliefs. You can try to ameliorate the stubbornness of people and protect them from manipulation.

All good points Brick. Humans will be humans and they have free will. You can't protect people from themselves but you can provide information from a number of sources to reinforce your own beliefs and show them why you believe that they in error.....But its the old story....

images
o_O

Jumi

People can make terrible decisions with their life and health due to various reasons. Doctors can also do the same, as not everyone of them is up to date in their knowledge or cares too much for anything but "recommended treatments" that are often the work of people working for companies that make huge profits. Of course things are even worse for people who reject timetested treatments because of some religious belief, but at least in secular countries it seems rare.

GoodbyeDave

I've had cures from taking the GP's pills, from taking the homeopath's pills, and from praying to Asklepios. I'm just grateful to all of them.

Yes, some people make stupid decisions on the basis of popular delusions. But so did some doctors — anyone for lobotomy?

I dare say the OP has a few foolish beliefs, although I won't hold my breath until he admits the possibility.

I've had cures from taking the GP's pills, from taking the homeopath's pills, and from praying to Asklepios. I'm just grateful to all of them.

Yes, some people make stupid decisions on the basis of popular delusions. But so did some doctors — anyone for lobotomy?

I dare say the OP has a few foolish beliefs, although I won't hold my breath until he admits the possibility.

Homeopathic medicine is not a thing. Perhaps placebo effect? Asklepios? I would usually be lost but I've been watching the punisher recently and it was recently brought up. I guess you have netflix too.

GoodbyeDave

Homeopathic medicine is not a thing.
Er, what's a "thing"?
I would usually be lost but I've been watching the punisher recently and it was recently brought up. I guess you have netflix too.
What are you babbling about? What's the "punisher"? I have heard of Netflix, but I've got better things to do with my time and money.

The only thing here that makes sense is "I would usually be lost" — that I can certainly believe!

The hidden danger is when a belief overcomes these decisions. ....

Unfortunately, the vaccines and their help also seem to be a belief. It is possible that people would be healthy also without them. And actually, it could be that the vaccines really cause more problems than help, but people just don’t understand it. On the other hand, if people believe in them, perhaps that belief helps them. :)

However, I am sure that quackery is very lucrative for some.

Unfortunately, the vaccines and their help also seem to be a belief. It is possible that people would be healthy also without them. And actually, it could be that the vaccines really cause more problems than help, but people just don’t understand it. On the other hand, if people believe in them, perhaps that belief helps them. :)

However, I am sure that quackery is very lucrative for some.

Vaccines are a belief eh? You know when you type stuff other people can read those things right? The idea that vaccines are quackary and done solely for money is so silly I don't know where to begin. Maybe with a question? What would cause you to come to this conclusion?

Last edited:
Er, what's a "thing"?

Homeopathic medicine is not real. It doesn't make sense beyond perhaps the placebo effect which any medication has to prove that it actually works and is not just the placebo effect. Its water.

Do you know what makes this video funny?

Last edited:

Vaccines are a belief eh? You know when you type stuff other people can read those things right? The idea that vaccines are quackary and done solely for money is so silly I don't know where to begin. Maybe with a question? What would cause you to come to this conclusion?

There is no real proof for the vaccines that they really work. It is possible that people get healed in spite of the vaccines. Because of lack of proof, the influence is only a matter of belief. But obviously, you are free to believe whatever you want.

There is no real proof for the vaccines that they really work. It is possible that people get healed in spite of the vaccines. Because of lack of proof, the influence is only a matter of belief. But obviously, you are free to believe whatever you want.

You are wrong. Everyone knows you are wrong. Why do you want me to argue with you? This is common knowledge.