• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Hellinization of Jews and Greek philosophy

sooda

Veteran Member
Thankyou I will read that if I can thats interesting.

I think the Greeks contributed to the Jews.. Jesus spent most of his ministry up around Galilee and the Decapolis cities which were prosperous and more cosmopolitan than Jerusalem because of trade..

So, IMO .. its all good …. From everything I have read I have this impression that the Jews of Jerusalem were a bunch of stiff necked old crows.

@IndigoChild5559 knows this stuff cold and is a good teacher so I invite correction.

sooda

Veteran Member
Well Im playing 2 hands here. I tend to agree with the Pagan Christ theory. However sense I went on the wiki side of things, I thought Id play devils advocate by taking the Christian side of things, because it seems to me that even if you goa long with Christian beliefs, the early Christians beliefs were way way way different then those in the church.

They were borrowing from a few different religions and philosophy to get Christianity. Yet the conservative churches think they are the only ones going to heaven, to me that's directly against the original sharing of philosophy and religions.

I wont speak on liberal Christian churches though, they dont study Greek philosophy but are more accepting of GLBTs and folks from different religions so they seem to be a little closer to the original group who shared ideas and religions and philosophy.

A bunch of rabbis in Israel decided to tackle the issue of gays and transgendered people head on.. so they had a pow wow.. and came to the conclusion that God made them too.

There's nothing like folks that can reason.

whirlingmerc

You didn't need to go to Rome to be influenced by Greek culture.

Greek culture was very influential here have been Hellenic communities across the Middle East since the time of Alexander the Great, see Hellenistic period - Wikipedia

Greek philosophy has always had an influence on Christianity. Even early Christians acknowledge this. It's hardly controversial.

Philosophy far more than mythology, Platonism for example.

Of course there were Roman cities in Israel at the time of Christ, the whole nation was occupied by Rome. But so what?

Esther: For such a time as this - storytelling version

Queen Esther and Daniel were up to their eyeballs in Babylon-ish culture doesn't mean God can't preserve a people through it.

sooda

Veteran Member
Of course there were Roman cities in Israel at the time of Christ, the whole nation was occupied by Rome. But so what?

The Roman occupation was the burning issue for the Jews.. The Jews that sided with Rome were considered apostate by other Jews. .

Why do you suppose Israel is called the whore of Babylon?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
The Roman occupation was the burning issue for the Jews.. The Jews that sided with Rome were considered apostate by other Jews. .

. . . but Christianity became Roman.

whirlingmerc

There was a remnant God preserved who were not.

But there is a reason the book of Hosea was written and it was in part written to show the mercy and grace available to heal and forgive that

whirlingmerc

I know, but I thought we were discussing the Hellinization of the Jews?????

At the risk of being called "Captain Obvious" I think God puts the different world views together side by side to showcase His own truth and some are influenced one way and some the other

sooda

Veteran Member

But there is a reason the book of Hosea was written and it was in part written to show the mercy and grace available to heal and forgive that

Hosea lived in the 8th century BC... The parable relates to Hosea forgiving his wayward wife.

Jesus didn't destroy the Temple for no reason.

sooda

Veteran Member

Remember Titus had a love affair with Herod's granddaughter so there's that association. She would have been considered an apostate Jew for siding with Rome against the Zealots ect.

1. BERENICE, Much-married sister & lover of King Agrippa
    www.womeninthebible.net/women-bible-old-new-testaments/bernice...
    Berenice was a law unto herself. She certainly made the most of her royal status. She was the great-granddaughter of the ruthless, mentally unstable King Herod the Great and; daughter of Herod Agrippa I, a shrewd man and a close friend of the Roman emperor Claudius; she married well three times – she seemed to have inherited her father’s shrewd intellect

2. Berenice (daughter of Herod Agrippa) - Wikipedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berenice_(daughter_of_Herod_Agrippa_I)
    Berenice (daughter of Herod Agrippa) She is also mentioned in the Acts of the Apostles (25:13, 23; 26:30). However, it is for her tumultuous love life that she is primarily known from the Renaissance. Her reputation was based on the bias of the Romans to the Eastern …

whirlingmerc

Remember Titus had a love affair with Herod's granddaughter so there's that association. She would have been considered an apostate Jew for siding with Rome against the Zealots ect.

1. BERENICE, Much-married sister & lover of King Agrippa
    www.womeninthebible.net/women-bible-old-new-testaments/bernice...
    Berenice was a law unto herself. She certainly made the most of her royal status. She was the great-granddaughter of the ruthless, mentally unstable King Herod the Great and; daughter of Herod Agrippa I, a shrewd man and a close friend of the Roman emperor Claudius; she married well three times – she seemed to have inherited her father’s shrewd intellect

2. Berenice (daughter of Herod Agrippa) - Wikipedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berenice_(daughter_of_Herod_Agrippa_I)
    Berenice (daughter of Herod Agrippa) She is also mentioned in the Acts of the Apostles (25:13, 23; 26:30). However, it is for her tumultuous love life that she is primarily known from the Renaissance. Her reputation was based on the bias of the Romans to the Eastern …

Sounds like lots of Hollywood

whirlingmerc

Daniel was never in Babylon.

Oh?
The book of Daniel refers to Babylon 19 times
The land of Shiner (is that were the tower of Babel was)

I do like that he and his friends got names of Babylonish gods but they fiddled with the spellings.. now even the King gave up the Bablyonish name for Daniel and stuck with the Hebrew for 'his guy' who earned the right

There is actually a big debate between the faculty of Hogwarts and CS Lewis and his friends on that issue

A Posited Debate - The Book of Daniel

Last edited:

sooda

Veteran Member
Oh?
The book of Daniel refers to Babylon 19 times
The land of Shiner (is that were the tower of Babel was)

I do like that he and his friends got names of Babylonish gods but they fiddled with the spellings.. now even the King gave up the Bablyonish name for Daniel and stuck with the Hebrew for 'his guy' who earned the right

There is actually a big debate between the faculty of Hogwarts and CS Lewis and his friends on that issue

A Posited Debate - The Book of Daniel

"Daniel" wasn't the author of the Book of Daniel.. and the author is writing history.. after the fact of the Babylonian exile.. It goes on to talk about the Messiah (Cyrus of Persia) restoring the Jews to Palestine.

whirlingmerc

"Daniel" wasn't the author of the Book of Daniel.. and the author is writing history.. after the fact of the Babylonian exile.. It goes on to talk about the Messiah (Cyrus of Persia) restoring the Jews to Palestine.

The kingdom did go through several hands in the book
Walls fall... meme meme terkel parsens ... and the Persons take over
and in the height of the empire the King is take with the lovely Esther

and do you believe Esther won the Miss Babylonia contest?

sooda

Veteran Member
The kingdom did go through several hands in the book
Walls fall... meme meme terkel parsens ... and the Persons take over
and in the height of the empire the King is take with the lovely Esther

and do you believe Esther won the Miss Babylonia contest?

Its not my favorite story.. Vashti refused to dance for a group of drunken men.

The Book of Esther

whirlingmerc

Its not my favorite story.. Vashti refused to dance for a group of drunken men.

The Book of Esther

I do feel sorry for Vashti... although in real life she was a pretty tough cookie

From a literary point of view
the book starts with a King asking a Queen to a banquet (she does not)
and ends with a Queen asking a King to a banquet ( he does)
Reversals upon reversals

I do like that the American post office gets it's motto from the Babylonian delivery service