• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The halal rort on Australians: paying an Islamic religious food tax without knowing

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
I don't have the time to look for it now, but Nestle CEO Peter Brabeck has actually stated that the place where they get their chocolate is better off because they are buying it. It's better off that they support slavery, rather than do something to end it. But, then again, Nestle is a company of baby killers.

Or they could pay people a fair wage to help them above the poverty line. Smarties chocolate is the best. If they up their price by what like 40c per bar i'll still pay for it as will most people.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
I hate Nestle. I would hope everyone here checks labels and never buys anything of theirs. They are a very evil company.

I think there is a genuine lack of information regarding the source of products. In Oz we had a recent issue with imported berries as people contracted hepatitis.

It's the one thing i think the Greens have got right in politics here.

Jeremy Taylor

I agree. I however do have a philosophical issue with alternatives to Halal products not being available. It won't stop me eating things I just resent having religion affecting the food I eat.

The lack of options is not a reflection of muslims but rather the companies making the products who will probably cry racism as soon as someone has an issue (not that Islam is a race but most people these days aren't all that bright).
I think there is nothing wrong with Halal certification and I don't mind eating Halal certified products. However, I do think that some of the comparisons between Halal and other kinds of certifications are not always true. I think there is sometimes more of a push to make Halal the norm than in other cases. You do hear about fast food places in Muslim areas not just serving Halal options, but being pressured not to serve non-Halal options, like pork.

Last edited:

Jeremy Taylor

I had to look that up, and "leftover brewer's yeast" does not sound appealing. Wiki should have left it at "salty, slightly bitter and malty, and rich in umami – similar to beef bouillon."
Urban dictionary has some funny definitions:
Non-Australians tend to give descriptions of it similar to 'tastes like a mixture of salt and battery acid'. This is because they are wimps, and need to drink more beer, eat more pies, and of course, eat more Vegemite.

Americans have been reported to spread it as thick as peanut butter not knowing its real power.

Traditionally used by Australians to disgust foriegners. Highly effective on North Americans.

The slightest dollop on the end of a toothpick touched to a slug's back will incapacitate it in a matter of seconds, and render it a salty and torturous pool of black ooze in just under a minute effectively creating another couple ounces of Vegemite to dab on one's toast.

un-worthy Americans can't handle due to its almighty power.

I'm really curious now.
I don't really understand the Australian obsession with Vegemite. The British Marmite is stronger and much tastier.

Treks

I don't really understand the Australian obsession with Vegemite. The British Marmite is stronger and much tastier.

I dunno if Marmite is 'stronger'. They all seem about the same to me. Marmite is sweeter than Vegemite. Promite sweeter still. They are all black and disgusting looking deliciousnesses. <3

Treks

For you 'Strayans who want to learn more about this issue:

The Truth About Halal excerpt
Updated Thu at 12:44pm

Anti-Halal campaigner Kirralie Smith tours us on a tour of her local supermarket.

Source: Four Corners | Duration:

Topics: consumer-protection, food-and-beverage, international-aid-and-trade, family-and-children, race-relations, religion-and-beliefs,islam, food-processing, livestock, australia, indonesia

Hide transcript

Monday 7 September 2015

What do Vegemite, Cadbury's chocolate, Bega cheese and Kellogg's cereals have in common? They are all Halal certified. Like many products on our supermarket shelves, they've been given the tick of approval for Muslim consumers to buy.

For food producers and exporters it's a straightforward pragmatic business practice. The manufacturer pays for an inspection to gain Halal certification, which in turn opens up lucrative markets.

"Halal certification is a ticket to play." Export Business Advisor

To the growing anti-Halal movement it's the thin edge of the wedge, a sign of the Islamification of Australia.

"I do not want religious practices imposed upon me and I do not want to fund these practices with my everyday grocery purchases." Anti-Halal Campaigner

It's become a touchstone issue for groups like Reclaim Australia, that label it a 'religious tax' foisted on consumers.

Claims about corruption and links to terrorism light up the blogosphere and provide fodder for anti-Islam rallies.

Four Corners goes in search of the truth and follows the money trail to reveal where the Halal funds are ending up.

We meet key players in the anti-Halal movement and the men who decide what's Halal and what's not - and hold the key to multi-billion dollar export markets.

The Truth About Halal, reported by Geoff Thompson and presented by Kerry O'Brien, goes to air on Monday 7th September at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 8th September at 10.00am and Wednesday 9th at midnight. It can also be seen on ABC News 24 on Saturday at 8.00pm, ABC iview and atabc.net.au/4corners.

Treks

Halal: How your chicken is certified in the holy henhouse
August 12, 2015 11:30pm
Matthew BennsThe Daily Telegraph
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...he-holy-henhouse/story-fni0cx12-1227481035264

AUSTRALIA’S chickens are blessed — literally — by an accredited Muslim man as they whiz down the production line to the beheading machine at the rate of 200 a minute.

But the practice adopted to get the chooks halal certified has upset Islamic traditionalists, who believe an animal can only be eaten if it has been slaughtered by hand.

Chicken producers are among an unprecedented number of food producers, including Vegemite and Cadbury, who are tapping into the largely unregulated halal certification market.

Halal Certification Authority Australia CEO Nadia El-Mouelhy said every chicken is blessed before it is killed “as gratitude to god”.

The company’s website says halal chicken processing plants must be cleansed according to Islamic rites before a “mature and practising Muslim” slaughterman turns on the killing machine.

“Before pushing the button, the Backup Slaughterman must say once: “Bismillahi-Allahu-Akbar” (In the name of God, God is the Greatest).”

Ahmed Kilani, the former General and Halal Integrity Manager for Fresh Poultry, explained on the Muslim Village website how the chickens are suspended upside down and blessed.

“A mechanical blade slaughters these chickens with a Muslim slaughter man placing his hand along the processing line and physically touching the chickens just before they are slaughtered by the mechanical blade. He is constantly reciting “Bismillah” as the chickens run past at a speed of 200 chickens a minute,” he wrote.

But he said traditionalists argue mechanical slaughter does not make a halal chicken because “it is virtually impossible to recite Bismillah on each bird at this line speed for hours on end.”

An RSPCA spokeswoman said: “All Halal slaughter of chickens in Australia includes prior stunning. RSPCA does not support slaughter without prior stunning of the animal.”

Most Australian chicken producers and products are now halal certified with Steggles and Red Lea among those carrying the Australian Federation of Islamic Councils stamp of approval. The hiring of Muslim slaughtermen is a required part of the certification.

Last year AFIC made almost $6 million, much of which was put towards Islamic schools and supporting Muslim students.

But critics, including the Australian Food and Grocery Council, which represents major food producers, have called for greater transparency in the halal certification industry.

Halal Australia CEO Muhammad Khan said the foods were certified after testing to ensure they did not include banned products such as pork.

SACRED SLAUGHTER

For a chicken to be certified as halal it must be slaughtered by a single blade in a processing plant that has been cleansed according to Islamic tradition.

The slaughterman, a mature and practising Muslim man, must say “Bismillahi-Allahu-Akbar” (In the name of God, God is the Greatest) once when the machine is turned on.

He then recites “Bismillah” continuously under his breath as each bird is pushed through the slaughtering device.

The bird is then bled out.