• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The halal rort on Australians: paying an Islamic religious food tax without knowing

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Accreditation

Halal
  • halal-logo-sml.gif
Our role in Halal Manufacturing
Australia today is a multiracial and multicultural country, where different types of customs, traditions and food are abundant within society.

Halal food does not taste any different from any other non-Halal products. For something to be described as Halal, it basically means that it must conform to the Islamic dietary laws and be produced in accordance with important Halal preparation guidelines.

Baiada is one of the largest Halal certified poultry producers in Australia. Our Halal range incorporates a variety of standard Baiada fresh and frozen poultry, including whole chickens, chicken pieces, and breast and thigh fillet. We also produce an extensive range of halal further processed products.

Baiada is accredited by Australian Federation of Islamic Councils. For more information on AFIC, click here.

I emailed AFIC some years ago and got a detailed response regarding their slaughter methods.

I had no idea that foods were halal. However, I have a jar of vegemite with the Halal endorsement. It tastes no different.

I have no issue with Halal itself and understand that companies are just widening their target market.

The issue I have seen raised is a lack of options. Either accept halal or go without. I am uncomfortable with the fact that there are no options and in order to consume everyday products we have always consumed we effectively support a religious organization. Where is the neutrality?

Treks

Vegemite is only halal because it doesn't contain anything that is not halal. You could put a halal logo on a bottle of water.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Vegemite is only halal because it doesn't contain anything that is not halal. You could put a halal logo on a bottle of water.

Is it the same with chocolate? The reason I ask is that chocolate and vegemite are the two items singled out most by the Facebook campaigns.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I had to look that up, and "leftover brewer's yeast" does not sound appealing. Wiki should have left it at "salty, slightly bitter and malty, and rich in umami – similar to beef bouillon."
Urban dictionary has some funny definitions:
Non-Australians tend to give descriptions of it similar to 'tastes like a mixture of salt and battery acid'. This is because they are wimps, and need to drink more beer, eat more pies, and of course, eat more Vegemite.

Americans have been reported to spread it as thick as peanut butter not knowing its real power.

Traditionally used by Australians to disgust foriegners. Highly effective on North Americans.

The slightest dollop on the end of a toothpick touched to a slug's back will incapacitate it in a matter of seconds, and render it a salty and torturous pool of black ooze in just under a minute effectively creating another couple ounces of Vegemite to dab on one's toast.

un-worthy Americans can't handle due to its almighty power.

I'm really curious now.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
I had to look that up, and "leftover brewer's yeast" does not sound appealing. Wiki should have left it at "salty, slightly bitter and malty, and rich in umami – similar to beef bouillon."
Urban dictionary has some funny definitions:
Non-Australians tend to give descriptions of it similar to 'tastes like a mixture of salt and battery acid'. This is because they are wimps, and need to drink more beer, eat more pies, and of course, eat more Vegemite.

Americans have been reported to spread it as thick as peanut butter not knowing its real power.

Traditionally used by Australians to disgust foriegners. Highly effective on North Americans.

The slightest dollop on the end of a toothpick touched to a slug's back will incapacitate it in a matter of seconds, and render it a salty and torturous pool of black ooze in just under a minute effectively creating another couple ounces of Vegemite to dab on one's toast.

un-worthy Americans can't handle due to its almighty power.

I'm really curious now.

I gave it to my German friend with hilarious results!

It is an indescribable mixture of joy and morning happiness on toast ;)

Treks

Is it the same with chocolate? The reason I ask is that chocolate and vegemite are the two items singled out most by the Facebook campaigns.

Chocolate is a bit more complicated because some chocolate can contain gelatin that is derived from pork. In this way, the halal logo is like a vegetarian or vegan logo. It's a quick way of knowing if it's OK for you to eat, or has something you don't want to eat hidden in the numbers or the small printed list of 25 ingredients.

I have no problems with this.

It's halal meat I have problems with, personally - when something special has to be done with the killing.

Treks

I gave it to my German friend with hilarious results!

It is an indescribable mixture of joy and morning happiness on toast ;)

I second that! :D

I suppose, since it's made with brewer's yeast, some Muslims might be concerned that it contains alcohol. The halal endorsement would dispel that concern.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Chocolate is a bit more complicated because some chocolate can contain gelatin that is derived from pork. In this way, the halal logo is like a vegetarian or vegan logo. It's a quick way of knowing if it's OK for you to eat, or has something you don't want to eat hidden in the numbers or the small printed list of 25 ingredients.

I have no problems with this.

It's halal meat I have problems with, personally - when something special has to be done with the killing.

I agree. I however do have a philosophical issue with alternatives to Halal products not being available. It won't stop me eating things I just resent having religion affecting the food I eat.

The lack of options is not a reflection of muslims but rather the companies making the products who will probably cry racism as soon as someone has an issue (not that Islam is a race but most people these days aren't all that bright).

Treks

I agree. I however do have a philosophical issue with alternatives to Halal products not being available. It won't stop me eating things I just resent having religion affecting the food I eat.

The lack of options is not a reflection of muslims but rather the companies making the products who will probably cry racism as soon as someone has an issue (not that Islam is a race but most people these days aren't all that bright).

So if there was a jar of Vegemite with a halal logo, and a jar of Vegemite without a halal logo (both the exact same Vegemite product, though), you would buy the one without the halal logo?

In this example, Vegemite is already intrinsically halal. For a non-halal alternative to be available, they'd have to put something into it which is haram to eat. The only time when religion really interferes with the food, is the production of halal meat.

Can you elabourate please, on your philosophical issue? Perhaps I'm not understanding what you mean. :)

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
So if there was a jar of Vegemite with a halal logo, and a jar of Vegemite without a halal logo (both the exact same Vegemite product, though), you would buy the one without the halal logo?

In this example, Vegemite is already intrinsically halal. For a non-halal alternative to be available, they'd have to put something into it which is haram to eat. The only time when religion really interferes with the food, is the production of halal meat.

Can you elabourate please, on your philosophical issue? Perhaps I'm not understanding what you mean. :)

That is correct. I have nothing against islam and i'm not against halal per se, people can eat all the halal they want. I'm against being forced to buy a religiously endorsed product that a company pays a premium for.

Vegemite is a bad example. Chocolate on the other hand as you pointed out is made with a substitute for pork products. Why

Treks

Not all chocolate. Kit Kats are intrinsically halal, too, but they had the logo for a long time.

Do you avoid products labelled kosher? Just out of curiosity.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Not all chocolate. Kit Kats are intrinsically halal, too, but they had the logo for a long time.

Do you avoid products labelled kosher? Just out of curiosity.

Yes, not that i've ever noticed anything kosher and wouldn't know what to look for. I guess the only reason i noticed the tiny halal symbol was because of Facebook.

Sneaky sneaky by these companies.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Vegemite is a bad example. Chocolate on the other hand as you pointed out is made with a substitute for pork products. Why
And some chocolate companies (Nestle, Hersheys, and Mars at least) are known for buying raw cocoa for chocolate from sources that obtained the stuff through child slavery. Maybe we need a label that warns consumers of any horrible conditions in which the product was produced.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
And some chocolate companies (Nestle, Hersheys, and Mars at least) are known for buying raw cocoa for chocolate from sources that obtained the stuff through child slavery. Maybe we need a label that warns consumers of any horrible conditions in which the product was produced.

Maybe these companies need to be harshly dealt with? For an unrelated example like this I don't want warnings, I want punishment or at least a very good explanation as to why they obtained good resulting from slavery.

Treks

I hope you don't drink coffee.
Or eat anything with non-sustainable palm oil in it (not that it's slaves, but the wildlife impact is truly shocking).
Life's very existence causes suffering.
Oh crap, I think I might be a Buddhist. O.O

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
I hope you don't drink coffee.
Or eat anything with non-sustainable palm oil in it (not that it's slaves, but the wildlife impact is truly shocking).
Life's very existence causes suffering.
Oh crap, I think I might be a Buddhist. O.O

I don't drink coffee!!!! I try to avoid palm oil products.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Maybe these companies need to be harshly dealt with? For an unrelated example like this I don't want warnings, I want punishment or at least a very good explanation as to why they obtained good resulting from slavery.
I don't have the time to look for it now, but Nestle CEO Peter Brabeck has actually stated that the place where they get their chocolate is better off because they are buying it. It's better off that they support slavery, rather than do something to end it. But, then again, Nestle is a company of baby killers.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I hate Nestle. I would hope everyone here checks labels and never buys anything of theirs. They are a very evil company.