1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured The gulf between us

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by Corvus, Jul 10, 2017.

1. sayak83

sayak83 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8,514
    Religion:
    Pluralist Hindu
    Civil engineering is mutable and conventional. It is a product of differing design constraints and utility needs for which rules of solid mechanics, ergonomics and corrosion science are required to attain goals of stability, strength and ease of use. Curiously nobody therefore says that the science of bridge building is subjective.
    [​IMG]

I would recommend you to read the book "The Moral Landscape" by Sam Harris the prominent atheist.
    The Moral Landscape

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Thief

Thief Rogue Theologian

Ratings:
    +4,582
    you might offer this as an op.....Morality is Evolved?

• Like Like x 1
  3. YmirGF

YmirGF Bodhisattva

Ratings:
    +14,881
    Religion:
    Beyond the Light
    Fallibilism? Which, for the record, isn't a religion, per se.

4. shawn001

shawn001 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +471
    "I have never experienced love" What? REALLY?

5. RedDragon94

RedDragon94 Love everyone, meditate often

Ratings:
    +727
    Give it some time.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Willamena

Willamena Just me
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,573
    Religion:
    Mystics
    I think you will find that true of atheists here as well.

• Like Like x 1
  7. sun rise

sun rise "This is the Hour of God"
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +24,871
    Religion:
    Love
    Fire can destroy buildings or cook food.

• Like Like x 1
  8. lewisnotmiller

lewisnotmiller Grand Hat

Ratings:
    +10,989
    Religion:
    atheist
    Exactly right. And not just here.

9. lewisnotmiller

lewisnotmiller Grand Hat

Ratings:
    +10,989
    Religion:
    atheist
    I was thinking Frisbeetarianism. Am I close, @RedDragon94 ???

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Kelly of the Phoenix

Kelly of the Phoenix Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,935
    Religion:
    "Post" Christian, likely Deist
    If you're stealing because you are hungry or cold or whatever, and stealing puts you in jail with hot meals ...

I can't tell you how many literalists I've seen try to argue their poorly supported positions are logical, though.

"Functional" and "moral" are not synonyms, though.

Indeed. I'm an introvert. I loathe going to big groups. Churches just aren't for me. I found them to be enclaves for people with the need for social justification for whatever they do. I would rather go to a gang-riddled neighborhood than a church, for there is far less hypocrisy.

I feel I have a relationship with a divine reality. I recognize there is (currently) no way to prove it scientifically, but I also don't want to force my relationship on others. I do not find that logical. I don't believe it's logical that everyone on the planet should get a one-size-fits-all message. That's like telling a (cis) woman about prostate care: pointless. All messages should fit the receiver. That makes the most sense.

If the metaphysical can interact with the physical, it must do so physically, and thus can be traced. I believe in an afterlife. For me, "ghosts" aren't a problem. However, I must also recognize that there are many stimuli (electricity, magnetism, good ol' pharmacology) that can make us feel ghostly presences. It doesn't disprove ghosts so much as it shows us what must occur for us to feel that way.

Not everyone gets that luxury. I sympathize with Corvus on this one.

So far, my dogs are the most loving, with hardly any ulterior motives such as I might find in my narcissistic sociopathic parents.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mindmaster

Mindmaster Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,011
    Religion:
    Not yours.
    You're right, logic doesn't move these people... It doesn't move you either, because... It's illogical to assume what is logical to you is logical to anyone else or that all people are overly concerned with logic. You will never understand anyone else's thinking or beliefs because you aren't sympathetic to them, from what I reckon. You feel logic is more important than tradition, ancestors, morality, and mythos. It's not, to most people anyway...

You know everything already don't you, so why are you here? You're certainly not going to convince people who have different sorts of values to believe what you do, and you aren't giving others enough room to breath. What exactly did you expect? If this approach is what you do in RL as well, then all your problems lie there.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. sayak83

sayak83 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8,514
    Religion:
    Pluralist Hindu
    So there is no one(human or pet) you have whose death or suffering will cause you sorrow?

13. Tony Bristow-Stagg

Tony Bristow-Stagg One Planet One People Please
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,605
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    I would ask do you come to the discussion thinking of the possibility of a God or not? If you do not, then that could be the issue.

Regards Tony

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. omega2xx

omega2xx Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +298
    Religion:
    Christian--Presbyterian
    What you say may or may not be true, probably true, but it doesn't matter. No one is born a Christians. Everyone starts as a humanist.

15. A Vestigial Mote

A Vestigial Mote Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,966
    Religion:
    ?
    Hmmm... I like analogy, but it is really sort of surfacy. Plus you cheated a bit because the foundations of things like structural integrity have their hands forced by the immutable laws of phyisics. Meaning that if elephants could build bridges, their ideas of what made the structure stand up to gravity and applied weight, etc. COULD NOT differ too widely at all from our own. However, if an elephant could tell you what was important for them in the realm of "morality", I doubt very much that the line item "keeping humans alive and happy" would appear anywhere on their lists.

As an added side note, the variables used in the formulas change a bit if building a bridge on another planet. Granted, the formulas themselves don't change. However think on the utility and function that would be designed for a bridge to be used in zero gravity - very different indeed. So perhaps bridge-building can be a bit more subjective than may be expected at first glance.

#195 A Vestigial Mote, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Corvus

Corvus Feathered eyeball connoisseur

Ratings:
    +226
    Religion:
    Grokk-ism
    I do not know everything, that is impossible. I am not trying to convince people to turn to atheism. I do not understand what the last comment means.

17. Corvus

Ratings:
    +226
    Religion:
    Grokk-ism
    The issue is not my belief. If questioning the reasoning behind beliefs of any kind, not just theism, is an issue on this forum, then I not aware of that.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Corvus

Ratings:
    +226
    Religion:
    Grokk-ism
    I have experienced attachment to people and other animals. I think that is the closest, I am not entirely sure what love actually is to be honest. Definitions vary considerably.

#198 Corvus, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  19. Corvus

Ratings:
    +226
    Religion:
    Grokk-ism
    It falls short as far as empirical science falls short. Which is not too shabby.

20. Corvus

Ratings:
    +226
    Religion:
    Grokk-ism
    Absolutely. More fun too.

• Like Like x 1