• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Greeks Who Pray to Zeus

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I like the fact they continue in the face of Orthodox efforts to stamp them out. Just like in the days before the Dark Ages fell...

Heh, it was probably worse under the rule of the late Archbishop Christodoulos. He was a character.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I can feel kinship with them, as another person practicing a pre-Christian religion, and someone with a significant Greek ancestry.

If I ever went to Greece, I'd soooo see if I could attend a ritual. Screw the normal and boring tourist traps; if the Parthenon isn't being used for its proper purpose, let me attend a real, living aspect of the cultural heritage.

And yes, I can attend a ritual to other religions' Gods. Polytheism draws no borders. ^_^ (except where the other religion excludes me)

Whiterain

Get me off of this planet
I seen this a few months ago. I had expected as much coming from Greeks, of course some hadn't abandoned their national Gods. But that being said the story goes the Gods sided with a rival country, Rome, and even the nation had fallen sometime after they abandoned the Gods.

It's was a moment of heart ache to see a woman praying for Poseidon's protection. Poseidon was known for generosity compared to Zeus's, somewhat cruelty...
Still, it made me feel guilt. After centuries of blood shed and tyranny.. It's amazing to find one beckoning the protection of an absent God, even if he is with them.

I just found it sad.

People do not comprehend that these are old War Lords.

WAR LORDS.

My god, Scandinavians had a somewhat right mentality in knowing no God was going to swoop down and save you.

This isn't something I couldn't voice enough. Old War Lords. These beings are archaic in experience, and people may expect something of them.

Praying for Protection. You must teach independence.

Then again that was eons ago. It's just sad to see others put even the most simple reliance in the Gods.

Last edited:

Whiterain

Get me off of this planet
Find me as a faithful person in the Gods - no matter pantheon.

These are the very Gods that judging me, who wanted to do good for Man - while some sicko is out raping and murdering women. Yet they find themselves sated by judging me, who desired to do good on mankind. Now I am crippled mentally and physically.

Just the nature of my experience.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Congratulations! :D

Btw, when I say character, I don't mean it kindly. I wasn't a member of the Greek Church - I was OCA, Orthodox Church in America - but intensely I disliked His Eminence. My opinion of him: very provincial, bigoted and parochial attitude.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Congratulations! :D

Btw, when I say character, I don't mean it kindly. I wasn't a member of the Greek Church - I was OCA, Orthodox Church in America - but intensely I disliked His Eminence. My opinion of him: very provincial, bigoted and parochial attitude.

I figured. His wiki entry reveals little beyond the fact he got very upset when the Greek Government tried to remove even the slightest amount of his Church's influence; particularly from schools!

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
They've changed it over time, several times. This latest incarnation of the entry is far more kindly towards him. When all is said and done, Greeks do their own thing anyway. Gotta love those wild and crazy Greeks. :D