• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The greatest invention of human kind. What say you?

firedragon

Veteran Member
Human inventions have probably been there since they existed. What do you think is the greatest invention of humankind? And why?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I would say its a close run competition between the wheel and the nail

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Human inventions have probably been there since they existed. What do you think is the greatest invention of humankind? And why?

I don't know, but I've heard people say things like "it's the greatest thing since sliced bread."

I've also heard a variation: "Greatest thing since canned beer."

So, sliced bread and canned beer, I guess.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I'd make a crack about heavy cream sauce, but
that's joke's get'n so old it's got whiskers on it.

Why would you consider heavy cream sauce to be the greatest invention.

True with some meals it can compliment the food but not enough to make it great

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I'd say writing: written language

Because we couldn't have progressed as far as we have done without it

It also means that we can store knowledge externally, outside of any one mind
The sloped ditch.

Getting water from its source to people - and getting waste away from people - has saved countless more lives than all the doctors who have ever lived.

(Not to denigrate doctors; it's just that public health - especially having a good drinking water supply and not living in your own poop - is tremendously important)

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I don't think we could name just the one, but symbolic language (as well as writing) must be in the Top Ten, as would the hand axe, agriculture, the control of fire, textile manufacture, the wheel, and the use of pottery. Many still in use today so they undoubtedly have given long and faithful service. :oops:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Having watched the original Connections show and seen how inventions and the interplay of inventions form a tapestry, my answer is a quote attributed to Benjamin Franklin that illustrates my thinking:

“For the want of a nail the shoe was lost,
For the want of a shoe the horse was lost,
For the want of a horse the rider was lost,
For the want of a rider the battle was lost,
For the want of a battle the kingdom was lost,
And all for the want of a horseshoe-nail.”

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
I agree. Everything has been there since it existed.

The wheel.
The knife.
Stirrups.
Plumbing.
The broom.
Fire. But that is more of a discovery of how to make them.

Probably one of the greatest inventions is agriculture.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I don't think we could name just the one, but symbolic language (as well as writing) must be in the Top Ten, as would the hand axe, agriculture, the control of fire, textile manufacture, the wheel, and the use of pottery. Many still in use today so they undoubtedly have given long and faithful service. :oops:

True.