• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Great War

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
As far as I know Harry Patch BBC NEWS | UK | England | Sculpture made of Harry Patch

and Henry Allingham I cheered Boer War vets in 1902 | Extraordinary life of Britain's oldest man | The Sun |News
are the last British survivors of the Great War.

I was listening to someone on the radio the other day, he was talking about the Battle of Passchendaele. 60,000 people disappeared in the battle. Just gone without trace. Startling. A few years ago we visited some WW1 cemeteries around Verdun and Arras. They were shocking places, even with the passage of time.
I remember WW1 veterans from my childhood and I recall a feeling of sadness as their numbers dwindled. We had a wall in our school that listed the names of those who had 'fallen' in the Great War. They came to my mind again as a result of that radio show.
I think that among the best ways of honouring the dead from this and other wars is to heed Wilfred Owens words:-
"If in some smothering dreams you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil's sick of sin;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud12
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie; Dulce et Decorum est
Pro patria mori."

It was and is a lie. To die for your country is neither fitting nor sweet.

Last edited:

Heneni

Miss Independent
The british people are a great nation. These two men must have a great deal of stories to tell.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
These two men must have a great deal of stories to tell.
Mustn't they. I love history from those who were there. When I was a child I'd listen to old people for hours and hours.
I remember my Dad buying a car (An A-40, I remember) off one old fella who'd been a pilot in France in 1918. I was reading 'Biggles' at the time and was incredibly impressed :D

Last edited:

Doc

Space Chief
I'm a Great War junkie myself. I love reading about it and I've fired some of the rifles from that era as well. An awful, awful war though. Probably one of the most pointless and destructive wars ever.

I love talking to people who been through history too, though. I have an old friend who fought in Korea and I think it makes him happy that a young person like me is so fascinated by his story.