• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 'great nothing', vs heaven or hell: which is better?

atanu

Premium Member
These four solaces were in regard to choosing between spiritual teachings that either propagate the poisons of greed, hatred, or delusion; or that teach purifying your mind from the poisons of greed, hatred, and delusion. Metaphysics is taken out of the equation.

I think I did not raise a metaphysical question.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
An atheist or atheistic religions conception of facing annihilation,

However for theists who believe in an afterlife, heaven and hell,

Which is better?

Which is true?

To an atheists soul wrenching meditation, is incredibly foreboding. An awakening, if you will. Faced with the great nothing , an annihilation, this is of prime importance to atheist religions.
The anguished cry of a mortal screaming at an uncaring universe.

To theists, who have an afterlife, heaven and hell, so forth. This means nothing.
Facing heaven or hell is thusly an important factor, so forth. The line between this world, and the next, or other realms, is willow o the wisp at best, there is is no distinction, often times.

Totally different perceptions of the self, and the 'universe'.

Do you assess your beliefs based on what is better?

Ciao

- viole

Goodman John

As I believe this world- our physical universe- IS 'Hell', the threat of 'everlasting fire' and all that is just bunkum and bosh. The real Hell is having to do all of this again if I don't get my soul off of this rock when I die OR missing the last bus to Paradise and being utterly cut off from God.

amorphous_constellation

To an atheists soul wrenching meditation, is incredibly foreboding. An awakening, if you will. Faced with the great nothing , an annihilation, this is of prime importance to atheist religions.
The anguished cry of a mortal screaming at an uncaring universe.

That's a nihilistic way to see that. If they did well for the world, which they may see as the only world, then those actions would have meaning. If they start to question that, they are thinking too hard about it.

To theists, who have an afterlife, heaven and hell, so forth. This means nothing.
Facing heaven or hell is thusly an important factor, so forth. The line between this world, and the next, or other realms, is willow o the wisp at best, there is is no distinction, often times.

I read that two and half times, and I don't get what you're saying. I don't see theists as realistically seeing it as that matter-of-course, like a simple doorway one enters in common reality. They would stress over it even more than those who disbelieve in the post-life state.