• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Great Escape!?

Shadow Link

I've heard it said once, "Life is an escape." The first time I'd heard this quote it was being used in describing how the general population spends their time on the weekends after a long work week in correlation with the success of sporting events. But for myself the quote had a much more deeper understanding yet to be probed. What are your thoughts when comparing the sciences and religions of our world today that might shed more light on this quote?

Thanks

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I've heard it said once, "Life is an escape." The first time I'd heard this quote it was being used in describing how the general population spends their time on the weekends after a long work week in correlation with the success of sporting events. But for myself the quote had a much more deeper understanding yet to be probed. What are your thoughts when comparing the sciences and religions of our world today that might shed more light on this quote?

Thanks
I think the quote is intellectually barren, myself. Life is decidedly NOT an escape. Behaviors can be escapes. My guess is that many people like to live vicariously through their sports heroes in a quasi-vacation from the humdrum of their own existence. Personally, I feel for them, rather than think they are doing something of no worth. The psychological release during such times could help them cope with their day to day routine by giving them something beyond the tedium to look forward to.

Shadow Link

IMG_2149.JPG

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I think the quote is intellectually barren, myself. Life is decidedly NOT an escape. Behaviors can be escapes. My guess is that many people like to live vicariously through their sports heroes in a quasi-vacation from the humdrum of their own existence. Personally, I feel for them, rather than think they are doing something of no worth. The psychological release during such times could help them cope with their day to day routine by giving them something beyond the tedium to look forward to.

Hmm...I'm probably a case study in this. But I wouldn't waste any time feeling sorry for me, nor reduce escapist behaviours to mindless behaviours.
For example, I both am a sports nut and like to read and write. Both are forms of escapism to some degree. Not sure I've ever met anyone without any escapist activities, but if I did I suspect I would see than as pretty sad and missing the point.

I mean...RF, amiright???

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Hmm...I'm probably a case study in this. But I wouldn't waste any time feeling sorry for me, nor reduce escapist behaviours to mindless behaviours.
For example, I both am a sports nut and like to read and write. Both are forms of escapism to some degree. Not sure I've ever met anyone without any escapist activities, but if I did I suspect I would see than as pretty sad and missing the point.

I mean...RF, amiright???
I agree and that is why I feel that it is an essential comping mechanism and not something that is normally an issue, but like in most things, can be for some who take it several steps too far, much like my sister who has been living in her head for a decade.

dfnj

Thanks

I think we judge ourselves way too harshly. Take sporting events. Every year a group of my very best friends gets together to watch the Super Bowl. We all bring different food dishes. Every year I bring a couple of pounds of extra large streamed shrimp and cocktail sauce. We drink beer and a have a great time. It's more than just watching TV.

I think "Life is an escape" means life is about finding ways to achieve happiness in spite of the gravity on our souls. Besides watching sporting events with friends eating and drinking, other things give me happiness. I find helping other people achieve happiness in their lives is extremely satisfying and fulfilling in terms of happiness. The other thing I like to do is play games of chance with my friends.

One last thing to finding happiness and an escape from life. Do NOT watch any political TV shows. Politics is a HUGE waste of time and black hole sucking out everyone's enthusiasm in enjoying life. The people in power are just going to do whatever they want anyway. I say eff em. They want it, they can have it. I'd rather throw dice with friends!