• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Great British Class calculator

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
BBC News - The Great British class calculator: What class are you?

The UK now has 7 distinct classes (so this study suggests)

• Elite: This is the most privileged class in Great Britain who have high levels of all three capitals. Their high amount of economic capital sets them apart from everyone else.
  • Established Middle Class: Members of this class have high levels of all three capitals although not as high as the Elite. They are a gregarious and culturally engaged class.
  • Technical Middle Class: This is a new, small class with high economic capital but seem less culturally engaged. They have relatively few social contacts and so are less socially engaged.
  • New Affluent Workers: This class has medium levels of economic capital and higher levels of cultural and social capital. They are a young and active group.
  • Emergent Service Workers: This new class has low economic capital but has high levels of 'emerging' cultural capital and high social capital. This group are young and often found in urban areas.
  • Traditional Working Class: This class scores low on all forms of the three capitals although they are not the poorest group. The average age of this class is older than the others.
  • Precariat: This is the most deprived class of all with low levels of economic, cultural and social capital. The everyday lives of members of this class are precarious.

Interesting survey - try it out - would class would you be!? [BBC might not be accessible worldwide....]

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
It makes no sense that a portion of determining your class is based on who you know socially from a very small selection of careers, or from a very small selection of leisure activities.

Last edited:

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
If I was english, I would be established middle class. It was slightly interesting to take.

Alceste

Vagabond
We're emergent service workers.

Funny thing is, I ticked off every box on the list of who you know except accountant, cleaner and secretary.

I also thought it was odd that "rent" and "own" were the only two choices. Many of the people I know can afford neither.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I can't seem to access the survey. Is it available in the US?

I thought the concept of "class" in sociology had been abandoned for "status community" forty years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Tweaked one question: rent vs own. (Situation ambiguous, in my case). Now I'm an emergent service worker

Alceste

Vagabond
Seems like silly nonsense.

It is, but it's also a fact of life. They've got their own accents, depending on class. They go to different schools. It improved somewhat after the war, but the culture of class still lingers. Folks are still really interested in what the royals get up to over there, but the press isn't allowed to talk about it. Very silly.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
It is, but it's also a fact of life. They've got their own accents, depending on class. They go to different schools. It improved somewhat after the war, but the culture of class still lingers. Folks are still really interested in what the royals get up to over there, but the press isn't allowed to talk about it. Very silly.

Very true, for example, my husband's father would be an Elite, my husband went to a boarding school and to private schools all his life (some of the most expensive in the country) and he's got the "posh" accent.

Unfortunately you can tell in this country what people "belong" to. It's really sad.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

So it's a lot like the caste system; arbitrary divisions. I thought Europe was touted as being socially advanced and enlightened?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
New affluent workers.

I guess that's about right. I'm at work all through the night right now, inspecting geophysical drillings until 5 AM. When weekend hits here on Friday, our cultural life gets more action as we catch shows or a dance performance. So in general while I don't make a ****load of money doing archaeology, our economic situation is stable and we have active and interesting cultural life.

Not sure how we would define social status differently in Israel, but I do see a continuation of traditional British class division mentality in this survey.

Octavia156

OTO/EGC

How many times have you been in Britain and where did you stay?

Our accents are mainly based on Geography, not class - unless you are talking about the Astrocratic plummy accent that Americans always seem to choose when casting English baddies in their films :D

Traditionally we had 3 classes - Upper, Middle and Lower with low social mobility.
I think this new socialogical study and its findings are not sad or silly - rather an interesting insight into our diverse society.

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
I also thought it was odd that "rent" and "own" were the only two choices. Many of the people I know can afford neither.

in the UK if you are on welfare you are essentially "renting" its just your rent is being paid for by the state.

Even if you are a traveller you will be paying v. small amounts of temporary land rental. There is little to no "common land" in UK so its nearly impossible to be "neither"

Last edited:

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
So it's a lot like the caste system; arbitrary divisions. I thought Europe was touted as being socially advanced and enlightened?

I dont think it is at all like the caste system other than the number.

There is no real limit to social mobility because a Precariat could become a member of the Elite under our system.... an "untouchable" could never become Brahman except in a fairytale.

Last edited:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
The quiz says we are new affluent workers.

What a load of b-llocks.

We are old vegetating hideaway happies.

Most Brits would laugh out loud at this total waffle.