• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Grand Inquisitor

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Fyodor Dostoevsky wrote a long book called "The Brothers Karamazov." Book 5 contains one of the most remarkable scenes in literature, when a Spanish Inquisitor is actually confronted with a person believed to be (and who he believes to be) Christ.

I am giving a link to the great British actor Sir John Gielgud performing the entirety of this scene, because I think it should be of great interest to almost everybody -- for religious, anti religious, or even literary interest.

It's about 25 minutes long, but really, really worth the watch. And of course, I'd welcome any comments.

The Grand Inquisitor, Fyodor Dostoevsky

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Fyodor Dostoevsky wrote a long book called "The Brothers Karamazov." Book 5 contains one of the most remarkable scenes in literature, when a Spanish Inquisitor is actually confronted with a person believed to be (and who he believes to be) Christ.

I am giving a link to the great British actor Sir John Gielgud performing the entirety of this scene, because I think it should be of great interest to almost everybody -- for religious, anti religious, or even literary interest.

It's about 25 minutes long, but really, really worth the watch. And of course, I'd welcome any comments.

Pretty accurate.....from the historical perspective.....it portrays Roman Catholicism's hierarchy and its attitudes towards its flock, to a T.
It displays its attitude towards Christ quite accurately as well. Taking everything he taught, and twisting it all out of shape. Making the ignorant masses dependent upon those who were the most deplorable shepherds.

Shame about the wimpy Jesus, who was never going to come again in the flesh, but this is a scene that could have been played out between the Pharisees and Jesus. Same attitude......same self-serving agenda.

When Jesus comes again, as I believe he will, those represented by the cardinal will not get a kiss, I assure you. o_O

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I got half way through "The Idiot". I had to finish the other novel, but I'm thinking of going back to it. It's hard to read but it's good so far.

I haven't read that book though.