• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Government's Authority: Drawing a line

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I do not think this answers my questions. Could you please explain how it does?

Laws provide consistency. What you are describing suggests there can be no consistency. When the rule of thumb fails we still have rules to explain those instances. What is used here?

I appreciate that. But are there restraints on this? Should there be?
George, I am sure that yours is the mind that has more background in this subject. Yes, there is not permanent consistency. The ultimate aim is "A more perfect union," but as the population of that union keeps changing how can there be consistency? We draw the line temporarily. We freeze the picture and guess. Then we make a correction later. This is imperfect but far better in practice than stating a permanent and unchangeable code. Huge problems arise when we deify the code of law. It gets old. It has to be updated. Over time it stops serving unification and works against it, so it has to be revisited and revised.

No, laws cannot provide consistency except in the short term and only as artificial weights and measures.