• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Gospels. Any 'Difficult' verses?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
There are many difficiult verses in the Bible but that doesn't meant they are wrong.
Absolutely!
Nor did I write that they are wrong..... just sayin'!

From your knowledge of the difficult verses, could you show a few examples, please?

omega2xx

Absolutely!
Nor did I write that they are wrong..... just sayin'!

From your knowledge of the difficult verses, could you show a few examples, please?

1 Cor 7:14---1 Cor 11:4-7

Rev 11:3-4 - It is not hare to assign 2 people as the 2 witness, but it is hared to know for you are right.

There are many hard verses in Revelation.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
1 Cor 7:14---1 Cor 11:4-7

Rev 11:3-4 - It is not hare to assign 2 people as the 2 witness, but it is hared to know for you are right.

There are many hard verses in Revelation.
Fair enough.
I focus upon the gospels, but thank you for your input. :)

omega2xx

Fair enough.
I focus upon the gospels, but thank you for your input. :)

Your welcome.

I am sure there are some verses in the gospels that are difficult but not for someone who has been seriously studying the Bible for 40+ years they have all been resolved.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Your welcome.

I am sure there are some verses in the gospels that are difficult but not for someone who has been seriously studying the Bible for 40+ years they have all been resolved.

.... for you, yes, of course.
But suppose you might be debating with, say, a skeptic, who claims that the gospels are all a myth? That can happen, here.

No matter how a Christian might protest, it might not help. But if a person knows all those verses that in any way seem to be odd, unhelpful to the story, difficult, etc, this can short-circuit a 'myther'.

I am not a Christian, but a student of Historical Jesus, and although I only study up to the point of Jesus's last appearance I find that this approach can cause a skeptic to slow down, stop, or simply go away! :D

That's why I keep an eye out, for any extra verses to add to my list!

omega2xx

.... for you, yes, of course.
But suppose you might be debating with, say, a skeptic, who claims that the gospels are all a myth? That can happen, here.

That always happens sooner or later. When it does I ask them for the evidence that supports that claim

No matter how a Christian might protest, it might not help. But if a person knows all those verses that in any way seem to be odd, unhelpful to the story, difficult, etc, this can short-circuit a 'myther'.

No one can offer any evidence that supports the Bible or any part of it being a myth.

am not a Christian, but a student of Historical Jesus, and although I only study up to the point of Jesus's last appearance I find that this approach can cause a skeptic to slow down, stop, or simply go away! :D

That's why I keep an eye out, for any extra verses to add to my list!

The gospels are probably the easiest to understand of all the Bible. The hardest thing to understand in the gospels, IMO,are some of the parables.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
That always happens sooner or later. When it does I ask them for the evidence that supports that claim
A great idea.

No one can offer any evidence that supports the Bible or any part of it being a myth.
Really?
Personally, I never try to convince anyone about the bible, but I do debate on behalf of some of its books.

The gospels are probably the easiest to understand of all the Bible. The hardest thing to understand in the gospels, IMO,are some of the parables.
That's a relief.
But I still find debaters on all sides of such debates who have difficulty with their simplicity.

omega2xx

A great idea.

It is the only answer and so far I have never gotten a reply.

Personally, I never try to convince anyone about the bible, but I do debate on behalf of some of its books.

I don't either. I say what I believe and why I believe it. learned a long time ago, i do not have the ability to convince other about the Bible.

That's a relief.
But I still find debaters on all sides of such debates who have difficulty with their simplicity.

At times the simple seems very complex to nonbelievers.

omega2xx

Dude!....the parables are the most important part!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes they are. Parables and all figurative language teach spiritual truths and that is the most important thing for Christians to know, but some of them are very difficult to understand.

omega 2xx said he understood everything in the gospels. I'll let you explain these five verses that relate to the same subject.

JOHN 12 : 48 "There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; that very word which I spoke will condemn him at the last day."

JOHN 8 : 50 "I am not seeking glory for myself; but there is one who seeks it, and he is the judge."

JOHN 8 : 15 "You judge by human standards; I pass judgment on no one."

JOHN 5 : 22&23 "Moreover the Father judges no one, but has entrusted all judgment to the Son, that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father."

JOHN 12 : 47 "As for the person who hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge him."

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
omega 2xx said he understood everything in the gospels. I'll let you explain these five verses that relate to the same subject.

JOHN 12 : 48 "There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; that very word which I spoke will condemn him at the last day."

JOHN 8 : 50 "I am not seeking glory for myself; but there is one who seeks it, and he is the judge."

JOHN 5 : 22&23 "Moreover the Father judges no one, but has entrusted all judgment to the Son, that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father."

JOHN 12 : 47 "As for the person who hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge him."
If he won't answer, may I try it?

Omega2xx said there were no verses in the gospels that hasn't been resolved in his studies. I'd like him to comment on these five that are all on one subject.

JOHN 12 : 48 "There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; that very word which I have spoke will condemn him at the last day."

JOHN 8 : 50 "I am not seeking glory for myself; but there is one seeks it, and he is the judge."

JOHN 5 : 22&23 "Moreover, the Father judges no one, but has entrusted all judgment to the Son, that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father."

Omega2xx said there were no verses in the gospels that hasn't been resolved in his studies. I'd like him to comment on these five that are all on one subject.

JOHN 12 : 48 "There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; that very word which I have spoke will condemn him at the last day."

JOHN 8 : 50 "I am not seeking glory for myself; but there is one seeks it, and he is the judge."

JOHN 5 : 22&23 "Moreover, the Father judges no one, but has entrusted all judgment to the Son, that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father."

omega2xx

I never said such a thing. Anyone who says that is an arrogant fool. However I will address the verses you quoted.

Jn 12:48 says something like God words says "You shall not steal." If you steal no one has to judge you, God's word has done that. Now the question is, what will your punishment be?

Jn 8:50 - This verse is not about judging man's conduct. It is about God judging if Jesus' acts and teaching glorified God.

Jn 5:22-23 - Jesus has been given the authority to judge, but he has not exercised it. Even today judges are honored by the fact they have the the authority to judge---All rise.

Jn 12:47 just reinforces the other verses---Jesus is not going to judge.

Jn 112:47b...I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the woerld but to save the world.

Can there be a punishment with no judgment?

John 8: 50 said the one seeking glory was the judge. Your answer is not explaining the verse. Who is seeking glory?

God's WORD throughout Scripture was that he was agape love. The Christian church rejects that tenant, do you?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Can there be a punishment with no judgment?

John 8: 50 said the one seeking glory was the judge. Your answer is not explaining the verse. Who is seeking glory?

God's WORD throughout Scripture was that he was agape love. The Christian church rejects that tenant, do you?
I believe the truth is seeking glory.

So, Jesus isn't seeking glory, but the truth is. How exactly does the truth seek glory? Does deception seek glory too? How about frugality? Do these inert things seek?