• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Gospel viewed by Islam

Raahim

مكتوب
Hey there everyone, so I've been reading Quran for some time now and it's repeated that the Torah and Gospels were given to people (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm reading Quran in English which is not my mother tongue) but it got corrupted by people who edited them to suit their needs. But, the current Bible Christians hold was man made from the beginning because it was chosen by people what texts go in and what texts are rejected for not making the "true picture of Yeshua" so I was wondering how was the Gospel really given by God to the people if it's a fact that it was edited (I would say completely)? Did God give the true Gospel and people rejected it and made their own version and the true one is now lost forever from Earth?

If something is confusing please do tell and I'll try to explain it a little more. :)

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
Hey there everyone, so I've been reading Quran for some time now and it's repeated that the Torah and Gospels were given to people (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm reading Quran in English which is not my mother tongue) but it got corrupted by people who edited them to suit their needs. But, the current Bible Christians hold was man made from the beginning because it was chosen by people what texts go in and what texts are rejected for not making the "true picture of Yeshua" so I was wondering how was the Gospel really given by God to the people if it's a fact that it was edited (I would say completely)? Did God give the true Gospel and people rejected it and made their own version and the true one is now lost forever from Earth?

If something is confusing please do tell and I'll try to explain it a little more. :)

Torah holy book of Jews and Gospel is holy book of Christians.
I guess there were many Gospels ,the Church choose just four of them.

I recall that few years ago , someone found a Gospel
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...coming-Prophet-Muhammad-unearthed-Turkey.html

http://www.latintimes.com/1500-year...dicates-jesus-christ-was-not-crucified-171471

- Yes the people (Jews) rejected it ,and editing books of God , so God sent many prophets (not just one).
- Yes ,we believe the orginal version of Torah is lost .

Raahim

مكتوب
Torah holy book of Jews and Gospel is holy book of Christians.
I guess there were many Gospels ,the Church choose just four of them.

I recall that few years ago , someone found a Gospel
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...coming-Prophet-Muhammad-unearthed-Turkey.html

http://www.latintimes.com/1500-year...dicates-jesus-christ-was-not-crucified-171471

- Yes the people (Jews) rejected it ,and editing books of God , so God sent many prophets (not just one).
- Yes ,we believe the orginal version of Torah is lost .

Thank you for the answer. Really interesting views.

Godobeyer

Premium Member
This is interesting and needs clarification. To start with, this is, apparently, the Epistle or 'gospel' of Barnabas in a Syriac (Aramaic) manuscript.
This is how one commentary (Smith's) describes the epistle of Barnabas, 'The Epistle called by his name is believed to be spurious, because it has in it errors in the Jewish history and worship, and a very feeble grasp of divine truth, unworthy of a Levite and a disciple. It is assigned to the 2nd century by Alford.'
What may be of interest with regards to Islam, is that this spurious gospel may well have been seen by Muhammad in the 6/7th centuries, and may well account for the inaccuracies in the Qur'an over issues like the crucifixion of Jesus.
Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) in the Bible by Name - Dr Zakir Naik

Godobeyer

Premium Member
I'll have to slower this one, he's talking really fast and I can't understand him very well - but from what I heard he does make a good point. You really have high quality posts.
My mother language is Arabic , I can say I understood 99% of his speech :)
Maybe because you don't know much about English Indian accent !

Raahim

مكتوب
My mother language is Arabic , I can say I understood 99% of his speech :)
Maybe because you don't know much about English Indian accent !

It's hard for me to understand Indian accent in English language and my speakers are set to about 15% because it's past midnight so I gotta keep quiet.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back

The scriptures were all revealed orally through Jibril alayhis salam, they didn't come as a hard copy in the form of a book. Latter they were written down. As for the alterations mentioned in the Qur'an, there is no specific time as to when they happened. The Bible to this day is having verses changed and it's way past the time of Prophet Muhammed, salallahu alayhi wa salam.

As far as the Tawrat (Torah) goes, the Jews of Madinah knew that a Prophet would come and that's why they had moved to Madinah to await his emergence. It's when he turned out to be an Arab that they refused to believe in him and possibly changed the verses if his coming was mentioned in it. And the same which Christians, Salman al Farsi was born to a fire worshiping family who then became a Christian and every time a priest would die who he was learning from they would tell him to move on to another priest until he was told that a Prophet who will receive revelation is due to appear in Madinah, which he did some 10 years after Salman, radiallahu anhu, arrived in Madinah.

And the same with Waraqah bin Nawfal, Khadijah's cousin who was a Christian. He is the one who first said that the verses he received in the cave were from Allah, and the angel that he saw was Jibril, the angel of revelation.

Insha Allah this clarifies the matter a little.

Raahim

مكتوب
The scriptures were all revealed orally through Jibril alayhis salam, they didn't come as a hard copy in the form of a book. Latter they were written down. As for the alterations mentioned in the Qur'an, there is no specific time as to when they happened. The Bible to this day is having verses changed and it's way past the time of Prophet Muhammed, salallahu alayhi wa salam.

As far as the Tawrat (Torah) goes, the Jews of Madinah knew that a Prophet would come and that's why they had moved to Madinah to await his emergence. It's when he turned out to be an Arab that they refused to believe in him and possibly changed the verses if his coming was mentioned in it. And the same which Christians, Salman al Farsi was born to a fire worshiping family who then became a Christian and every time a priest would die who he was learning from they would tell him to move on to another priest until he was told that a Prophet who will receive revelation is due to appear in Madinah, which he did some 10 years after Salman, radiallahu anhu, arrived in Madinah.

And the same with Waraqah bin Nawfal, Khadijah's cousin who was a Christian. He is the one who first said that the verses he received in the cave were from Allah, and the angel that he saw was Jibril, the angel of revelation.

Insha Allah this clarifies the matter a little.

This kind of answer I was hoping for. Thank you.

Raahim

مكتوب
Raahim, I have just supplied you with numerous cross-references! I have also explained why the name Jesus does not appear in the Tanach. There is a hidden mystery that only becomes clear on the arrival of the Saviour. Jesus is the Word of God, and he casts light on the scriptures of the Old Testament. The prophecy of the Bible states that many in Israel, and elsewhere, will be blind to this TRUTH.
Gentile believers, and a remnant of Jews, await the coming of Jesus to judge the world. It will not be a happy time for anyone who refuses to acknowledge the Truth of Christ. In Revelation 1:7 it says, 'Behold, he cometh with clouds: and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.'

To say that Jesus has not fulfilled the prophecies relating to the coming of the Messiah again demonstrates a lack of understanding. There are two comings of Jesus. The first time as a Saviour, the second time as a Judge. The argument that some prophecies have not been fulfilled by Jesus is easily answered - they still lie in the future! Jesus has not yet returned to complete his judgment and to establish his kingdom throughout the earth. Try reading Psalm 61:1,2 and compare it to Luke 4:14-21. Why does Jesus stop his reading of the Psalm at a comma? Which part of the prophecy has yet to be fulfilled?

References pointed out don't have clear meaning of Yeshua ﷺ, Christians only see him in Tanakh because they want to & need to justify their religion.
Messiah was from the start meant only for Jews, not for whole world or even to wash away the sins of everyone.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
References pointed out don't have clear meaning of Yeshua ﷺ, Christians only see him in Tanakh because they want to & need to justify their religion.
Messiah was from the start meant only for Jews, not for whole world or even to wash away the sins of everyone.

How then do you explain God's promise to father Abraham that ALL families of Earth will be blessed - Genesis 12:3
and that ALL nations of Earth will be blessed - Genesis 22:18

If Allah is all powerful how could he let petty humans corrupt his holy books. This would cause millions of people not receive a saving message?

Wouldn't Allah be powerful enough to keep his books from being tampered with?

Pastek

Sunni muslim
If Allah is all powerful how could he let petty humans corrupt his holy books. This would cause millions of people not receive a saving message?

Wouldn't Allah be powerful enough to keep his books from being tampered with?

In Islam many know by heart the Quran, from cover to cover.
If you look at the prayers, you'll never see someone who's leading it reciting with the Book in front of him.

Also Allah said concerning the Torah :

5.43 Indeed, We sent down the Torah, in which was guidance and light. The prophets who submitted [to Allah ] judged by it for the Jews, as did the rabbis and scholars by that with which they were entrusted of the Scripture of Allah , and they were witnesses thereto.

While concerning the Quran it says :

15.9 Indeed, it is We who sent down the Qur'an and indeed, We will be its guardian.

So the difference here is that Allah said it's the people who are the guardians of their Book (Torah) while Allah is the guardian of the Quran.

Pastek

Sunni muslim
Wouldn't that make Allah irresponsible for allowing men to be guardians of holy books knowing that they would tamper with his message? And if men did tamper with the Torah and gospel why did he wait a few hundred years(gospel) and a many thousands of years(Torah) to send a book to correct that which insignificant men erred? And why would he send this message to an Arab rather than to a Jew who both sets of books were given too?

I think that if someone read the Torah or Gospel he will get the message.

If people follow teachings of men like for exemple believing that Jesus is Allah, this is because they didn't understand the message -which is clear- about monotheism.

What Allah ask people to do is : to be monotheist, do good deads, follow the rules.
Even if we believe things were alterated in those Books, doesn't mean that people can't be/have been good believers.
So if there's differences for what i've read from those Books, it wasn't something that would completely alter the belief of God and His religions.

As for why would Allah send His message to an Arab, i remind you that that many prophets weren't jews such as Noah, Abraham, Enoch ...

I think that if someone read the Torah or Gospel he will get the message.

If people follow teachings of men like for exemple believing that Jesus is Allah, this is because they didn't understand the message -which is clear- about monotheism.

What Allah ask people to do is : to be monotheist, do good deads, follow the rules.
Even if we believe things were alterated in those Books, doesn't mean that people can't be/have been good believers.
So if there's differences for what i've read from those Books, it wasn't something that would completely alter the belief of God and His religions.

As for why would Allah send His message to an Arab, i remind you that that many prophets weren't jews such as Noah, Abraham, Enoch ...

When I read the Torah I see in it that there is a messiah to come who will receive worship from people that is only given and worthy of God. I see that he will be the sacrifice that will take away the sins of the world. I see that this messiah is also king of the world and high priest interceding on our behalf between us and God.

When I read the gospel I see Jesus as the total fulfillment of those prophecies and that he claimed to be God himself. I don't have time to type everything out so just click on this: http://www.muslimhope.com/JesusIsGod.htm

As for your thoughts on non-Jew prophets your examples came before Jews existed. Noah was before Abraham (the first Jew) and so did Enoch. Abraham was the first Jew who was called out from a pagan nation. The point I'm getting at is that the Torah was written by Jews and given to Jews. And the gospels were written by Christians about a Jewish man who is God who took away the sins of the world on the cross.

The Quran was given by an Arab man who was not accepted by the Jews as a prophet. It also contains a bunch of commands and information that contradicts history and the two other holy books.

Pastek

Sunni muslim
As for your thoughts on non-Jew prophets your examples came before Jews existed. Noah was before Abraham (the first Jew) and so did Enoch. Abraham was the first Jew who was called out from a pagan nation. The point I'm getting at is that the Torah was written by Jews and given to Jews. And the gospels were written by Christians about a Jewish man who is God who took away the sins of the world on the cross.

The Quran was given by an Arab man who was not accepted by the Jews as a prophet. It also contains a bunch of commands and information that contradicts history and the two other holy books.

Abraham was not jew as he was only a monotheist who came from Mesopotamia.
And that would mean Ismael is a jew too. But in Islam Isaac, Ismael, Jacob and Joseph are not jew too as the Torah wasn't yet revealed to them.

As Jesus who is God of course if you read correctly the Torah you know it's not true. The supposed divinity is the teachings of men so the believer is responsable of who he takes his teachings from.

Abraham was not jew as he was only a monotheist who came from Mesopotamia.
And that would mean Ismael is a jew too. But in Islam Isaac, Ismael, Jacob and Joseph are not jew too as the Torah wasn't yet revealed to them.

As Jesus who is God of course if you read correctly the Torah you know it's not true. The supposed divinity is the teachings of men so the believer is responsable of who he takes his teachings from.

Circumcision was given to show that a Jew was a Jew. Abraham was circumcised. So you saying that Abraham isn't a Jew is simply not true. It is true that he wasn't in the beginning but God changed him into the first Jew. And no that doesn't mean that Ishmael is part of the promise because he is not. He is an illegitimate son. The promise comes through Isaac, the promise comes through the Jews.

And your claim that Jesus never claimed to be God is uneducated. Click on that link then come back when you have.

Raahim

مكتوب
Circumcision was given to show that a Jew was a Jew. Abraham was circumcised. So you saying that Abraham isn't a Jew is simply not true. It is true that he wasn't in the beginning but God changed him into the first Jew. And no that doesn't mean that Ishmael is part of the promise because he is not. He is an illegitimate son. The promise comes through Isaac, the promise comes through the Jews.

And your claim that Jesus never claimed to be God is uneducated. Click on that link then come back when you have.

You do know this is in Islam DIR, right? Circumcision as far as I know was done by Abraham ﷺ to show devotion to Allah, not to become a Jew.
Ishmael is the son of Abraham ﷺ therefore logical conclusion comes that he is legitimate son which is confirmed by Genesis 16:3.