• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Gospel of Judas? Fact or Fiction?

Bishka

Veteran Member
I saw this today, I thought it was interesting, I'm not sure if it is true, time will tell I guess.

A

angellous_evangellous

IMO, it's another tiresome attempt to connect Gnosticism with Christianity. This kind of stuff irritates the hell out of me.... people reject the early Christian writings of the New Testament as legitimate and yet accept the Gospel of Thomas and other late writings that the church fathers rejected as authoritative historical stuff.

So we have late writings from a hostile group trumping friendly writings from the original group. :banghead3

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Who knows. Until my Church reads it and comes to a decision on it. I won't take it serious. Although I will read it. :)

Bishka

Veteran Member
Victor said:
Who knows. Until my Church reads it and comes to a decision on it. I won't take it serious. Although I will read it. :)

Same here. :) Are churches are sort of similar in that way.:)

Mike182

Flaming Queer
i don't know if it is legitimate or not, but i have always suspected Judas to have had a bigger role behind the scenes than we know about

i disagree with him being labeled a traitor :eek: (i know, we can debate it later)

lets face it, if Judas hadn't have done what he did, jesus would not have died, and we would not be able to say "jesus died for our sins"

Judas's role was vital, and in my oppinion, pre-ordained. Judas may have betrayed his earthly friends, but he was loyal to God.

anyway, back to his newly found gospel, well, i do not have the authority to say.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
YmirGF said:
Interesting research by National Geographic.

From_CBS_News

From the TimesOnline:

From Reuters:

From National Geographics itelf: (very slow link... prolly getting millions of hits!)

From Wikipedia:

Is this a revelation or fantasy? What do you think?

"Judas Iscariot, vilified as Christ's betrayer, acted at Jesus' request in turning him over to the authorities who crucified him, according to a 1,700-year-old copy of the "Gospel of Judas" unveiled on Thursday."

This is what I've believed since high school, based on my interpretation of the canonical texts, so it's no biggie to me.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
lilithu said:
"Judas Iscariot, vilified as Christ's betrayer, acted at Jesus' request in turning him over to the authorities who crucified him, according to a 1,700-year-old copy of the "Gospel of Judas" unveiled on Thursday."

This is what I've believed since high school, based on my interpretation of the canonical texts, so it's no biggie to me.

i've given out too much karma today........ give me 24 hours and i can hit you for this ....... not hit as in hit, but hit as in, well, you know what i mean :D

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
angellous_evangellous said:
IMO, it's another tiresome attempt to connect Gnosticism with Christianity. This kind of stuff irritates the hell out of me.... people reject the early Christian writings of the New Testament as legitimate and yet accept the Gospel of Thomas and other late writings that the church fathers rejected as authoritative historical stuff.

So we have late writings from a hostile group trumping friendly writings from the original group. :banghead3
Elaine Pagels makes a very compelling argument that the Gospel of Thomas predates the Gospel of John, and that John was actually written in reaction against Thomas.

Nehustan

Quite funny to see this in the news today given my post on the 'Judas Theory' the other day which covered the heresy of 'The Templar' and the association between Judas, Jesus, and Thomas.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
lilithu said:
Elaine Pagels makes a very compelling argument that the Gospel of Thomas predates the Gospel of John, and that John was actually written in reaction against Thomas.
*hugs*

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
angellous_evangellous said:
Please don't ignore the history of the text http://www.tertullian.org/rpearse/ma...judas/#Radboud

The church fathers rejected it, and it can't be attributed to Judas Iscariot.

This is like the Secret Gospel of Mark all over again.
My point is that even if this gospel is not "authentic" (as if any of them can really be attributed) that idea - that Judas was acting in accordance with Jesus' will - is already latent within the canonical gospels. Even if we only look at what the church fathers accepted, this is one possible interpretation of the events that took place.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Nehustan said:
Quite funny to see this in the news today given my post on the 'Judas Theory' the other day which covered the heresy of 'The Templar' and the association between Judas, Jesus, and Thomas.
link please? :)

A

angellous_evangellous

lilithu said:

I'm not aware of it. It sounds like that fantasy would depend too much on an anchronistic Gnosticisng of John that is now out of style (thank God). Scholars like Bultmann tried to read Gnosticism into everything in the NT. It's just too early for that kind of thing...

A

angellous_evangellous

lilithu said:
My point is that even if this gospel is not "authentic" (as if any of them can really be attributed) that idea - that Judas was acting in accordance with Jesus' will - is already latent within the canonical gospels. Even if we only look at what the church fathers accepted, this is one possible interpretation of the events that took place.

How so?