• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The GOP is why America is withering.

Heyo

Veteran Member
What "overly obscene material"? Did you read the article at all? The GOP could not and would not even define it in Idaho.

Please give us examples of "overly obscene material" and why it is obscene. We might all get a good laugh.
That's why the RCC invented the "index". It's why there is a rating system for movies. In Germany we also have an index of material not allowed to make accessible to minors and not allowed to be advertised.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
That's why the RCC invented the "index". It's why there is a rating system for movies. In Germany we also have an index of material not allowed to make accessible to minors and not allowed to be advertised.
I think that he has only been repeating right wing talking points.

A while back I had a discussion with another right wing extremist on the same subject. There was an autobiographical book written by a man that described aspects of an early homosexual encounter he had with another. He was talking about another boy the same age as him. I think that they were both eleven, but when talking about him he referred to what and who he became career wise. His source misunderstood that and thought that it described an encounter with a pedophile. He could not understand that an adult now would have been a child then.

At any rate he kept thinking that a mutual experiment between two adolescents was somehow pedophilia. It did not go into excessive detail. It could even have been quoted here.

What he is calling " obscene " is probably mere overreaction by homophobes. If he finds any examples the odds are that he will see how weak his claim is and refuse to acknowledge it. There will be no actual evidence.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
I wonder if they want to ban educational books on sex ed...probably. I didnt learn sex ed from school I learned it from the library. The books I read were geared towards teens and preadolescents. They were solely factual and full of info a person would need to know before becoming an adult like what is a period? How does a pregnancy occur? How do you know if you are in an abusive relationship? What is consent? Things that were entirely age appropriate and very important to know and explained in a manner that a child could understand.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Have any of you seen this?
House GOP backs criminal charges for librarians lending "harmful" books to kids

A short article, as it's title reads. In Idaho, the GOP has strongly put forward a bill calling for jail time (up to a year), plus up to $1,000 fine for librarians who allow children to read "harmful" books. :rolleyes: And the anti-Americans (the Republicans) haven't even defined what "harmful" means. :facepalm: (apparently it can simply be a story with a gay main character. Or one that describes arousal in a character in a love story. etc....etc....etc....), but nobody can say for sure, since "harmful" is a completely subjective adjective.

“I recognize that five minutes of one of my kids getting a hold of a friend’s cellphone is more dangerous than anything this bill is going to stop,” said Rep. Greg Chaney (R-Caldwell).
But Chaney said he views the legislation as a way to “stem the tide” of potentially obscene materials getting into the hands of kids.
“This isn’t calling for a book burning out in front of the capitol. This is reasonable,” he said.

The saddest part is that these drooling imbeciles and their imbecilic voters have no idea that their very thoughts go against the constitution of our once great nation.

The GOP
Umbridge.jpeg

Suppressing the vote. Suppressing free speech. Suppressing Freedom of Religion.
Suppressing Freedom....."for your own good my dear."
I'm sure corrupt Democrat ruled states like New York and California, two of the most oppressive states in the nation, will be very happy to hear that they are not responsible for America withering.

PureX

Veteran Member
The GOP is just a collection of political toadies for a small group of billionaires and very wealthy corporate elites that control everything they do. And so are the democrats.

We can blame them for being corrupted by the rich man's wealth, but not when we keep electing and re-electing them, over and over, for decades. Then it's our own fault. And why blame the corrupted yet not blame their corruptors? And yet we never do. It's as though we exempt the rich from anything they do to get their money, and anything they do with it once they get it.

Why is that?

The problem is a capitalist system that rewards wealth with power, regardless of moral eligibility. It rewards greed with wealth and wealth with power. And that's a very stupid thing for any culture to do. It's a recipe for corruption. And that's what it's given us ... in spades.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Not if your amazingly wealthy for sure. Prosperity has never been better.
The poor are always complaining.
But jobs abound, & pay is rising.
That's not so withery.
Times are a little more turbulent than
usual, sure. To see a downward spiral
is a bad choice.

Last edited:

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
That's why the RCC invented the "index".
I wouldn't consider much of anything said about a rating system for morality and offense from an organization that routinely excuses and hides child abusers.

It's why there is a rating system for movies.
A system that varies significantly from nation to nation, and has even changed over time as society has grown and expanded beyond kneejerk Evangelical reactions to video games and media.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I think that he has only been repeating right wing talking points.

A while back I had a discussion with another right wing extremist on the same subject. There was an autobiographical book written by a man that described aspects of an early homosexual encounter he had with another. He was talking about another boy the same age as him. I think that they were both eleven, but when talking about him he referred to what and who he became career wise. His source misunderstood that and thought that it described an encounter with a pedophile. He could not understand that an adult now would have been a child then.

At any rate he kept thinking that a mutual experiment between two adolescents was somehow pedophilia. It did not go into excessive detail. It could even have been quoted here.

What he is calling " obscene " is probably mere overreaction by homophobes. If he finds any examples the odds are that he will see how weak his claim is and refuse to acknowledge it. There will be no actual evidence.
Doesn't he realize what kids sometimes do before they begin mature relationships? That shouldn't define them.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
What "overly obscene material"? Did you read the article at all? The GOP could not and would not even define it in Idaho.

Please give us examples of "overly obscene material" and why it is obscene. We might all get a good laugh.
They like the idea of doing something without actually having to put thought into it.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Have any of you seen this?
House GOP backs criminal charges for librarians lending "harmful" books to kids

A short article, as it's title reads. In Idaho, the GOP has strongly put forward a bill calling for jail time (up to a year), plus up to $1,000 fine for librarians who allow children to read "harmful" books. :rolleyes: And the anti-Americans (the Republicans) haven't even defined what "harmful" means. :facepalm: (apparently it can simply be a story with a gay main character. Or one that describes arousal in a character in a love story. etc....etc....etc....), but nobody can say for sure, since "harmful" is a completely subjective adjective.

“I recognize that five minutes of one of my kids getting a hold of a friend’s cellphone is more dangerous than anything this bill is going to stop,” said Rep. Greg Chaney (R-Caldwell).
But Chaney said he views the legislation as a way to “stem the tide” of potentially obscene materials getting into the hands of kids.
“This isn’t calling for a book burning out in front of the capitol. This is reasonable,” he said.

The saddest part is that these drooling imbeciles and their imbecilic voters have no idea that their very thoughts go against the constitution of our once great nation.

The GOP
Umbridge.jpeg

Suppressing the vote. Suppressing free speech. Suppressing Freedom of Religion.
Suppressing Freedom....."for your own good my dear."
Let's see, where did I read about the "burning of the books" before? :emojconfused: