• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The gods and domains

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Hello pagans. How'd you choose your gods? How do their domains affect the choice? I mean, I feel called by some of mine. Let me explain.

Doxxing myself slightly here, but I'm from the literal sunniest desert on earth. And there's no worship towards any sun god or desert god here. It's a shame, dare I say travesty? I am offered a unique opportunity by being here. I believe I am in the domain of Set and perhaps Apollo. feel called to them. I know very little about my gods and paganism in general, so I am learning. But I have set my trajectory.

I will eventually build personal shrines dedicated to them. But, eventually eventually, I would like to establish their cults in my town. I feel like I'm the only one in town who sees the need for it.

I wouldn't establish a shrine dedicated to Poseidon in the middle of the desert. That would be inappropriate, right?

What are your gods domains? How do you resonate with it?

Viker

Häxan
Mine reside in shadows, in works of art/beauty and within symbolisms attributable to them. They are beings of the night and dwell in the mysteries and majesty of nature. They can be found in joy, sorrow, fear, courage, love and hate, even in the excitement of discovery.

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
As a Hellenic polytheist, I revere the whole pantheon even though it's impossible to have interactions with all or even most of them.

I wouldn't establish a shrine dedicated to Poseidon in the middle of the desert. That would be inappropriate, right?

Why not? While Poseidon was frequently the patron of port cities, not all ancient Greeks lived near the coastline and yet honored Poseidon. Likewise, fishing communities still honored Demeter despite not being farmers. Major gods like the Olympians were pan-Hellenic however, regions would influence the extent or frequency of directly worshipping any given one. Locations had spirits and gods local to them, gods who were patrons of their city-states, occupations, and so on. They had a routine impact on daily life so, understandably their worship would dominate in one locale rather than somewhere else.

Poseidon is also the god of earthquakes, storms, floods, and drought - things that can happen inland. Two of his sacred animals are the bull and horse.

rocala

I do not really use the term "god" the nearest I get to that is the Green Man. Since early childhood I have been drawn to nature, particularly woodland, and have felt a strong spiritual connection. Probably, the title "Green Man" is more of an umbrella term than a reference to a specific being. But since my first sight of the image, it triggered something deep within and still does to this day.
I do not indulge in worship but I do revere nature. If I was to build a shrine, it would be small, simple and in a rather wild garden.

Hildeburh

I do not really use the term "god" the nearest I get to that is the Green Man. Since early childhood I have been drawn to nature, particularly woodland, and have felt a strong spiritual connection. Probably, the title "Green Man" is more of an umbrella term than a reference to a specific being. But since my first sight of the image, it triggered something deep within and still does to this day.
I do not indulge in worship but I do revere nature. If I was to build a shrine, it would be small, simple and in a rather wild garden.

There are many deities in polytheism. The Green Man can be seen as a modern archetypal nature deity but it is a modern term rather than an older deity or folkloric figure. Like you I also revere nature, love gardening and feel a spiritual connection when I am outdoors.

I don't see too much difference in the terms worship or revere in respect to connecting to or showing respect to any deity. I suggest for your first local shrine think about revering or respecting your local wights (spirits of the earth) rather than an archetypal deity.

Hildeburh

Hello pagans. How'd you choose your gods? How do their domains affect the choice? I mean, I feel called by some of mine. Let me explain.

I am an Anglo-Saxon polytheist, like Callisto I revere the entire pantheon, however I do not have or feel the necessity to form a relationship with most of them. It's hard to determine who chooses who but I revere my local wights, Еогþe, Sunne, Mona.and I utilise Anglo-Saxon magic. The domains of Anglo-Saxon deities are not as separate or clear cut as those of other pantheons but a good relationship with my chosen deities and the use of traditional Anglo-Saxon magic helps me to feel a greater connection to all aspects of my life.

rocala

There are many deities in polytheism. The Green Man can be seen as a modern archetypal nature deity but it is a modern term rather than an older deity or folkloric figure.
I am aware of this. I used the phrase umbrella term due to the archetypal nature of the subject, and the name simply to be descriptive.
The term dates back to roughly the 16th century but refers to various foliate beings/images that predate the name itself.
Again, I am aware of this. I was just checking your particular use, as the term is interpreted differently sometimes.

Hildeburh

I am aware of this. I used the phrase umbrella term due to the archetypal nature of the subject, and the name simply to be descriptive.

Yes, if your aware then you understand why I chose the word modern. The modern= the period of human history that post dates the Middle Ages, which ended around 1500 CE

Again, I am aware of this. I was just checking your particular use, as the term is interpreted differently sometimes.

By who?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

What are your gods domains? How do you resonate with it?

My Gods cover all domains. I didn't exactly choose them, as much as they chose me. I worked with various deities, until I knew I was working with the right ones.

This took time, and research. Learning about the myths, and Gods themselves.