• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Godhead

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Our first Article of Faith states: We believe in God the Eternal Father, and in His Son Jesus Christ and in the Holy Ghost. We believe that Jesus Christ is the Only Begotten Son of God in the flesh. While we believe that God is the Father of the spirits of each and every person who has ever lived, and that we are all His spirit offspring, Jesus Christ is most definitely in a class by Himself. He was with His Father in the beginning. Under His Father's direction, He created worlds without number. He was chosen to be "the Lamb" prior to the foundation of this world. He sits today on the right hand of His Father. Along with the Holy Ghost, the Father and the Son make up the Godhead.

We believe that our Father in Heaven and His Son Jesus Christ have a true father-son relationship. The words, "Father" and "Son," in other words, mean exactly what they say. They are not metaphorical or symbolic of a vague metaphysical relationship, in which two beings are some how both part of a single essence. We are each the physical sons and daughters of our mortal parents. Jesus Christ is the literal, physical Son of a divine Father and a mortal Mother. He was conceived in a miraculous way, but like all sons, was in the "express image of His Father's person." That is to say, He looked like Him. Dogs beget puppies, and cats beget kittens. God beget a Son who is the same species as He is. They both have bodies of flesh and bone (although, until His birth in Bethlehem, Jesus Christ was a spirit being only).

The Father and the Son are physically distinct from one another, and yet they are also "one." This doctrine is taught in the Book of Mormon as well as in the Bible. We just understand the word "one" to mean something other than physical substance or essence. We believe they are "one in will and purpose, one in mind and heart, and one in power and glory." It would be impossible to explain, or even to understand, the degree of their unity. It is perfect; it is absolute. They think, feel and act as "one God." Because of this perfect unity, and because they share the title of "God," we think of them together in this way. It would be impossible for us to worship one of them without also worshipping the other.

Most Christians also use the words “co-equal” and “co-eternal” to describe the relationship between the Father and the Son. We do not. We believe that, as is again the case with all fathers and sons, the Father existed prior to His Son. No son's existence precedes his father's, and Jesus Christ is no exception to this rule. We also believe Christ to be subordinate to His Father. He is divine because of His relationship with His Father. It is, however, important to understand what we mean when we use the word "subordinate." We understand that the Son holds a subordinate position in the relationship; we do not believe Him to be an inferior being. As an example, a colonel holds an inferior position to a general, but is not an inferior being. To most people's way of thinking, an ant, however, is an inferior being to a human.

The third member of the Godhead is the Holy Ghost. Unlike the Father and the Son, the Holy Ghost is a person of spirit only. It is by virtue of this quality that He is able to both fill the universe and dwell in our hearts. It is through the Holy Ghost that God communicates to mankind. We come to understand spiritual truths through the witnessing of the Holy Ghost, who communicates with us on a spiritual plane. It is through Him that we come to know the Father and the Son.

Katya

I get the whole concept of the Godhead. It makes sense to me. The trinity concept hurts my head. :p
I can't make sense of it at all.

Yeshua_Lives

Left the Forum
I get the whole concept of the Godhead. It makes sense to me. The trinity concept hurts my head. :p
I can't make sense of it at all.

Trinity. Three equal parts that make up a whole.

Look at it as a family. There are several members of a family.

Mother. Father. Son. Daughter. Individuals that make up a greater whole or Family.

Father. Son. Holy Spirit. All parts that make up a greater whole or GOD.

Somkid

Is it Buddhist as well?

No, not exactly because there is no god in Buddhism however I have heard Nirvana compared to a "godhead" in English for lack of better terminology the idea being, upon reaching enlightenment the mind becomes everything and is all knowing.

dragoniatiegre

Seeker of Truth & Wisdom

Mother. Father. Son. Daughter. Individuals that make up a greater whole or Family.

That's one version of the Trinity I've heard, which is about the same as we believe the Godhead to be. However, I've also heard other versions of the Trinity which make no sense.

+Xausted

sort of but not quite correct.for with this analogy there remains thress distinct AND seperate beings.whereas an easy way of explaining the trinity is a bit like a triangle in which each point is named either father son or holy spirit. the are the one in the same but with separate points

Starfish

Please no sarcasm

This sounds exactly like a definition of the Godhead. One family united, but separate individuals. One Godhead united in one purpose, with three separate individuals.

+Xausted

think i didnt make myself clear ...was refering to the trinity (believe me something i know about since doing theology degree, and have absolutly hated studying into the depth that we have). the problem with using the family analogy is that there remains three completly seperate individuals only connected by relation. whereas in the trinity they are as one with three distinct essences, hense the triangle way of putting it...its a confusing concept to wholley understand.

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
think i didnt make myself clear ...was refering to the trinity (believe me something i know about since doing theology degree, and have absolutly hated studying into the depth that we have). the problem with using the family analogy is that there remains three completly seperate individuals only connected by relation. whereas in the trinity they are as one with three distinct essences, hense the triangle way of putting it...its a confusing concept to wholley understand.

What do you mean by "essences"?

dragoniatiegre

Seeker of Truth & Wisdom
Again, no offense meant here, but you are describing how we view the Godhead. I've also heard the Trinity described as three being in one essence.

spiritually inclined

The doctrine of the Trinity as traditionally understood by mainstream Christians does not find full support in the Bible, nor do I think it makes perfect sense.

However, I don't think anyone's doctrines of God are perfect or testable. I think the various views Christians have about God -- oneness Christians (they believe that one entity plays out the roles of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit), Unitarians, trinitarians, Mormon trinitarians -- are not really altogether different. They all attempt to describe an alleged reality that really can't be described.

I think all of these people are Christians and should acknowledge each other as such.

James

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I think the various views Christians have about God -- oneness Christians (they believe that one entity plays out the roles of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit), Unitarians, trinitarians, Mormon trinitarians -- are not really altogether different. They all attempt to describe an alleged reality that really can't be described.
If this were a debate thread, I'd encourage you to provide a counter-argument. On the other hand, since I really wasn't attempting to argue anything in the first place, maybe I should ask you what about my description was in anyway confusing or internally inconsistent?

I think all of these people are Christians and should acknowledge each other as such.
We Latter-day Saints acknowledge all of the others as Christians. It just doesn't work both ways. (I probably shouldn't say that. A lot of Trinitarian Christians do consider the Latter-day Saints to be Christians. Most of the ones who don't are the Evangelicals.)

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
Good job Katz.......Aren't you glad that God is our judge? Only He has the final authority over us. Amen :)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
*** MOD POST ***

A number of posts have been deleted from the thread... some for violation of the DIR Forum rules, others because they quote posts that were violated for rule violations.

Please keep in mind the rules for the DIR Forums:

10. Discuss Individual Religions Forums
The DIR forums are for the express use for discussion by that specific group. They are not to be used for debate by anyone. People of other groups or faiths may post respectful questions to increase their understanding. Questions of a rhetorical or argumentative nature or that counter the beliefs of that DIR are not permitted. Only posts that comply with the tenets or spirit of that Dir are permitted. The DIR forums are strictly moderated and posts are subject to editing or removal.

Thanks,

9-10ths_Penguin
Mod