• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The God is the god of the Sun or the god of the Earth?

agorman

Premium Member
What do you think? Is He a sort of male Pachamama, Father Earth or the god of the Sun? I have read He's both, but that's confusing to me because in ancient cultures sky gods aren't the same as earth ones. Moreover in some cultures the spirit of the Sun is female (e.g. Norse and Japanese).

So is in Wicca just the Goddess related to heavenly things, as the Queen of Heaven? In chapter 3 of "Aradia, Gospel of the Witches" by Charles Leland says something that She is the darkness and He is the light.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
From what I understand, in Wicca the God is sky (et al), the Goddess is earth (et al). For celestial dichotomies, the God is the Sun, the Goddess the Moon.

SabahTheLoner

Master of the Art of Couch Potato Cuddles
From what I understand, in Wicca the God is sky (et al), the Goddess is earth (et al). For celestial dichotomies, the God is the Sun, the Goddess the Moon.

It depends on the tradition. Some traditions, instead of the God being a sky deity, he is the male aspect of the Earth, while the Godess is the female aspect of the earth. In other traditions they are omnipresent beings that are symbolized by the sun and moon, and literally rule over everything in nature. Sometimes they are literally the sun and moon. It depends on what Wiccan you ask and how they like to describe their beliefs.

Hildeburh

In Traditional Wicca, the initiatory traditions that trace their lineages to the New Forest Coven, there is a specific god and goddess whose names are oathbound. The god and goddess of Traditional Wicca will therefore have attributes drawn from both their original mythologies that are melded with specific Wiccan lore and praxis.

Outside Traditional Wicca there are many forms of religious witchcraft and the god and goddess are choosen by the individual/coven and may even be viewed as archetypes,. Some individuals/ covens may honour only the god and some only the goddess but two themes tend to predominate; that of the Sun God and his relationship with the goddess and the Holly and Oak King (gods of the wild places/ the hunt) and their relationship with the goddess.

This blog explains things quite well:

The Oak King and Holly King