• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Glorious Tapeworm. A parasite that also could be your best friend.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
2015 article but it's quite interesting that the vilified tapeworm quite possibly isn't as much of a villain as people think.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2015/08/tapeworms-may-be-good-your-brain

In the case of certain parasites, it gives a whole new meaning to a getting a "Little Help from My Friends".

Our entire body is a living community by which organisms get together and can do wonderful things in a holistic and natural way.

You think certain parasites and organisms should play a role in medicine again?

Nature's Way of if you scrub my back, I'll scrub yours.

Maggots for infected wounds.

Tapeworms for brain health and weight loss.

Leeches for bloodletting.

Sounds disgusting for sure, but at the same time, these little creatures do not need a degree in medicine in order to do a fine job for many ailments.

Curious if others had experiences with parasites that turned out well , and would you encourage the use of parasites and symbiotic organism's to become more prevalent in medicine then they are now?

whirlingmerc

2015 article but it's quite interesting that the vilified tapeworm quite possibly isn't as much of a villain as people think.

In the case of certain parasites, it gives a whole new meaning to a getting a "Little Help from My Friends".

Our entire body is a living community by which organisms get together and can do wonderful things in a holistic and natural way.

Sounds disgusting for sure, but at the same time, these little creatures do not need a degree in medicine in order to do a fine job for many ailments.

Curious if others had experiences with parasites that turned out well , and would you encourage the use of parasites and symbiotic organism's to become more prevalent in medicine then they are now?

It would not be surprising since everything before the fall was created good
We do live in a world that is an echo of the original shout, but tarnished.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

Most medical and pharmaceutical advances come from observations made about the natural world. They (tapeworms) may release an enzyme or protein that helps with memory function. But I would highly recommend not ingesting tapeworms, considering the eggs can sometimes travel in the bloodstream and into the brain, yikes.