• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Ghost Galaxy

Ellen Brown

They have discovered another Galaxy that is relatively close to us, closer than Andromeda. After reading, I find that it was discovered by "Gaia" (What's That?) and recently.

AND, Scientists believe that something big enough to tear a hole in our Galaxy just went zinging through, but they don't know where it went?

I think it is so fun that we are finding out things we can't explain, but some of these folk think they know enough to rule out the existence of God. :) LOL :)

Reactions: Jim

Astosolece

Hey, I can’t agree more. I’m into the science of the universe as much as a non-physics major can be, but I cannot rule out the existence of God. Off topic here, and please forgive, but I’m trying to post a question that’s been gnawing at me and I can’t figure out how to post a public comment. I’m new here and I can’t even find and administrative link to ask. Man I feel stooopid. Plz help, how did you post this? It came up under new posts.

Terry Sampson

Man I feel stooopid. Plz help, how did you post this? It came up under new posts.

Do you want to start a brand new thread (i.e. conversation); or reply to (i.e. comment on) someone else's comment; or just throw a question in somewhere in a conversation, whether it's relevant to the conversation or not?

Astosolece

Yes, I want to start a new thread and I can’t figure out how. I hope I’m not being too rude to crash this post and ask but I can’t get an answer from support and I’m frustrated. Sorry

We Never Know

No Slack
Yes, I want to start a new thread and I can’t figure out how. I hope I’m not being too rude to crash this post and ask but I can’t get an answer from support and I’m frustrated. Sorry

From here click forums at the top of this page. Then when you get there click a forum. Then click post a new thread.

Terry Sampson

Not to worry.
  1. Go to Forums in the top line menu (i.e. Home, Forums, T-Shirts, Media, Bible, Members) and click on that "FORUMS":
    • Screenshot_2019-05-31 Forums.png
  2. Read through the whole list categories and try to find one that seems appropriate for the thread you want to start.
    • Don't worry if you pick an in an inappropriate place to start a thread. A Staff Member will be along shortly and move your thread to a more appropriate location.
    • I don't know how many chances they'll give you before they start giving you a hard time.
    • When arrive at a place where you think you'll settle for the moment, start looking for a "Post New Thread" box that looks like this one:
    • Screenshot_2019-05-31 The Material World.png
    • When you see that, click on it and follow the instructions that you get.
    • We'll see how far you get before I jump in again to say more.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
They have discovered another Galaxy that is relatively close to us, closer than Andromeda. After reading, I find that it was discovered by "Gaia" (What's That?) and recently.

AND, Scientists believe that something big enough to tear a hole in our Galaxy just went zinging through, but they don't know where it went?

I think it is so fun that we are finding out things we can't explain, but some of these folk think they know enough to rule out the existence of God. :) LOL :)

Yes we are finding out, we have lived in the dark ages of knowledge throughout human existence but in the last 150 years gaps in our knowledge have decreased dramatically... Ain't science great.

The universe is big, very big. There us still a lot of stuff out there that us essentially planet bound humans don't know about. I see no reason to attribute that ignorance to a myth.

Gaia is a European space agency observatory launched in 2013, it purpose to accurately measure the position and motion of stars.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Since the dawn of time we have attributed every thing that we did not understand to God.
Since the establishment of Science, we have found the explanations to a small number of those questions.
There is still vastly more that we do not know, than we do know.
Science is revealing knowledge at an exponential rate.
However the things that we attribute to God still fill massive gaps in that knowledge.
Perhaps, when there are no more gaps to fill, we become God.

God could be defined as a being with the ability to utilise total knowledge.

exchemist

Veteran Member

Non sequitur. The whole of science research is devoted to finding out, and then trying to explain, things about nature we did not know before.

This has precisely zero bearing on the arguments for and against the existence of God.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Yes, there's a galaxy (the Milky Way--our own) between us and this other galaxy. It is small (smaller than the Magellanic clouds) and rather difficult to detect (try looking through a hive of bees to find another hive of bees behind it).

I'm not sure why finding something *physical* like another galaxy has any bearing on claims that there are *non-physical* things like deities.

Wandering Monk

Since the dawn of time we have attributed every thing that we did not understand to God.
Since the establishment of Science, we have found the explanations to a small number of those questions.
There is still vastly more that we do not know, than we do know.
Science is revealing knowledge at an exponential rate.
However the things that we attribute to God still fill massive gaps in that knowledge.
Perhaps, when there are no more gaps to fill, we become God.

God could be defined as a being with the ability to utilise total knowledge.

At least scientists can say 'we don't know.' You will never hear this from Fundamentalists Christians.

PureX

Veteran Member

Amen.

I was watching a series of lectures by Neil Degrasse-Tyson a while back (it was excellent, by the way) and the overall theme of this lecture series was how much we DON'T KNOW about the universe. And in the end the scientific community's consensus estimated that our current knowledge of the universe is maybe somewhere between 10% and 15% of what there is to be known. And, of course, with an estimated percentage this low, the margin for error is going to be quite large, probably greater than the estimate, itself. Meaning that even what we think we know, equates to squat relative to actually knowing anything.

But try telling this to an atheist who has succumbed to this new 'religion of scientism', and they will become very animated in their blind defense of the god of science as the fountain of all knowledge and truth. Bias is an amazing intellectual fuel source.

Wandering Monk

Amen.

I was watching a series of lectures by Neil Degrasse-Tyson a while back (it was excellent, by the way) and the overall theme of this lecture series was how much we DON'T KNOW about the universe. And in the end the scientific community's consensus estimated that our current knowledge of the universe is maybe somewhere between 10% and 15% of what there is to be known. And, of course, with an estimated percentage this low, the margin for error is going to be quite large, probably greater than the estimate, itself. Meaning that even what we think we know, equates to squat relative to actually knowing anything.

But try telling this to an atheist who has succumbed to this new 'religion of scientism', and they will become very animated in their blind defense of the god of science as the fountain of all knowledge and truth. Bias is an amazing fuel.

And Christian theologians know more about the universe than scientists? Such as...?

Bob the Unbeliever

Amen.

But try telling this to an atheist who has succumbed to this new 'religion of scientism', and they will become very animated in their blind defense of the god of science as the fountain of all knowledge and truth. Bias is an amazing intellectual fuel source.

I was following your post, it was interesting and informative.

Right up until the final paragraph-- which ruined the whole post, such that you may as well not have bothered with the other remarks.

*sigh* Pot: meet Kettle.

Bob the Unbeliever

Cool story! And yes-- I would guess that the volume of things we DO know? Is like the orbit of an electron in a hydrogen atom, if compared to things we do NOT know.

However. The track record of "It Is Not Magic" is pretty darn good so far.

And I have yet to see a definition of the word "god" that did not also require magic....