• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Genesis Account

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The one possibility that you seem to assiduously avoid is that they could have simply been wrong.
No, I have not said nor implied they could be wrong, so maybe next time actually ask instead of assuming. Plus, I have already repeatedly stated that I am not a literalist, nor do I believe in biblical inerrancy. Nor did I assume that all alternatives were "equally likely".

It is disgusting that you would reach for such a low, and it begs the question why you're acting this way? Maybe get over yourself and have the common decency to ask and not assume.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
It would be more tru to say the Bible is not reconcilable with Naturalism, the view everything had a natural cause and "we can't let the divine foot in the door".
Not necessarily. Even taking a naturalistic approach doesn't mean nor imply that there wasn't Divine creation. Nor does it mean that there couldn't be some Divine intervention at times.

IOW, it doesn't have to be an either/or thingy.

gnostic

The Lost One
A pixie is a mythical creature of folklore.
And so are talking donkey and talking snake.

Myths, fables.

And then there are the four angels, in which each one has four wings, and one with four faces - that of lion, ox, eagle and man (Ezekiel 1). Either the author is clinically delusional or high as a kite.

ecco

Veteran Member
So, your argument is that the fact that there are several varying allegorical stories about how the world came to be means that they all must be equally wrong?

Do I really need to explain why that doesn't make any sense?
Yes. Please do explain.

izzy88

Yes. Please do explain.

Does the fact that there are multiple different answers presented on a multiple choice test question mean that they all must be wrong?

Does the fact that there are multiple theories about the origin of life on Earth mean that they all must be wrong?

Does the fact that there are multiple ways to pronounce the word tomato mean that they all must be wrong?

ecco

Veteran Member
Does the fact that there are multiple different answers presented on a multiple choice test question mean that they all must be wrong?

If the persons creating the test and the answers were completely ignorant of the subject, then it is very likely that all are wrong. More specifically, if the question was:
What is the sum of 3 + 3?
And the answers are:
  1. Blue
  2. Pink
  3. Yellow
  4. Red
Then we can readily determine that all must be wrong.

In any case, you really need to go back to Post #4 and understand the portion of the OP I was responding to.

Obviously Moses was not the only person to whom a god imparted such knowledge...

51zTFpsJprL._SX398_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

In the book, there are just 25 of thousands of creation stories man has concocted. The following review hits the nail on the head...

https://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Creation-Stories-Around-World/dp/0152387420
Reviewed in the United States on January 4, 2020
Verified Purchase
My kindergarten and 2nd grade daughters are enjoying these. They are starting to hear lots of stuff about how god created the earth at school, so this book is helping to temper that “knowledge”. Stories are pretty short and there is some background information for each one.
It always amazes me that OT believers think there is something special about their creation story.

Please note the last sentence.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
The fact that our model of reality is different from the model of the ancients doesn't mean theirs was in error. Their model of the world was like hearing music, our model is like measuring sound waves and pitches and frequencies. Both models are of the same phenomenon, they just look at it from different angles - and neither is objectively right or wrong.

But they aren't 50/50 either.
One of them is a lot more objective then the other. Lot more usefull too.

ecco

Veteran Member
So yes, the universe had a beginning. If cosmologists are correct it was some 13.8 billion years ago. Does the Bible account specify how long ago the universe and then later on the earth were formed? No it does not. But it does state correctly that the universe, in the sometime distant past, had a beginning.

Every religion has a creation story. This one predates your bible.
25 Creation Stories From Around The World

For the ancient Sumerians, in the beginning, there was only the goddess Nammu. She gave birth to the universe, Anki, who then gave birth to the air god Enil. Enil split the universe in two, making An, the sky god, and Ki, the goddess of the Earth.​

Didn't you know that all religions have creation stories?

Agnostisch

Egyptian Man
Every religion has a creation story. This one predates your bible.
Generally all of them either do or they borrow the creation story of the region they were invented in.
Even Buddhism does.In India it borrows Indian creation myths and in China and Japan it borrows theirs.Taoism borrows Chinese creation myths an although the philosophy is generally atheistic the religion even borrows Chinese deities.