• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Garden of Eden.

turk179

I smell something....
I am very uneducated on Christian topics and I was wondering if you all could help with a question. Do you all believe that the Garden of Eden is an actual place on earth and if so where is it located? If it does exist, would it be possible to go there? I apologize if this seems like a stupid question but I really am curious about this. Thanks for your time.
Tim

nutshell

Yes. It was a real place on earth, but with the Fall of Adam and Eve, it would have become subject to the same sickness and death that affects the rest of the world. Therefore, you would not be able to find it today.

Endless

Hi turk147,

Yes, i believe the garden of Eden was an actual place on earth. The Bible describes it in Genesis at the start, and even names the rivers that use to run through it.
However the early world was destroyed by Noah's flood - which the Bible teaches was worldwide. The garden of Eden would have been completely destroyed by this flood and the earth no doubt altered dramatically by it. So the garden of Eden could no longer exist. Whether the place where it used to be is still around..who knows...but no-one could ever point and say this is where it was.
Hope that helps.

turk179

I smell something....
nutshell said:
Yes. It was a real place on earth, but with the Fall of Adam and Eve, it would have become subject to the same sickness and death that affects the rest of the world. Therefore, you would not be able to find it today.
Does that mean that the actual location of the garden was never actually determined and that the garden now looks like any other location?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I suspect it is a metaphor for an original unspoiled, Utopian state, from which the development of our current problems can be discussed and criticized.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
I thought you were talking about that Iron Butterfly song... My bad. :eek: :D
No I don't believe it ever existed. Just man's way of trying to figure out where he originated from. I believe the Bible is full of metaphores.​

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
nutshell said:
Well said. I agree with Nutshell. :)

turk179

I smell something....
Endless said:
Hi turk147,

Yes, i believe the garden of Eden was an actual place on earth. The Bible describes it in Genesis at the start, and even names the rivers that use to run through it.
However the early world was destroyed by Noah's flood - which the Bible teaches was worldwide. The garden of Eden would have been completely destroyed by this flood and the earth no doubt altered dramatically by it. So the garden of Eden could no longer exist. Whether the place where it used to be is still around..who knows...but no-one could ever point and say this is where it was.
Hope that helps.
Yes it does. My religion is wicca but for some reason I believe that the garden did exist as odd as that may sound. And for some reason this question has been floating around in my mind as of late. Thanks for your time. I would love to hear others opinions of this if they differ at all. Oh and BTW its turk179:D .

Evenstar

The Wicked Christian
Hmmm im guessing you watched the tv show, with all the strange animals.
Yes it exists.... its my garden, I also have a little wooden shed... maybe Jesus birth place... nah my dog sleeps there.​
All joking aside, I dont believe in Eden.

Endless

Oh and BTW its turk179
Sorry about that...Never was good with numbers :D Don't really know that much about Wicca - is there something in it that makes it strange that you should believe the garden of Eden existed?

turk179

I smell something....
Endless said:
Sorry about that...Never was good with numbers :D Don't really know that much about Wicca - is there something in it that makes it strange that you should believe the garden of Eden existed?
lol. No problem.
Wiccans usually don't believe in the bible so it makes it unusual for a Wiccan to believe in this sort of thing.

No*s

Captain Obvious
turk179 said:
I am very uneducated on Christian topics and I was wondering if you all could help with a question. Do you all believe that the Garden of Eden is an actual place on earth and if so where is it located? If it does exist, would it be possible to go there? I apologize if this seems like a stupid question but I really am curious about this. Thanks for your time.
Tim

I'm going to sound backwards here, but yes, I believe there is truth to this. I believe in a very real Garden of Eden, though I have no evidence of its existance. If pressed, I will simply rely on divine revelation, which would not be sufficient for it. I believe that it is no longer located on Earth, or in some other manner out of touch with us. There was a cook, in Orthodox tradition, St. Euphrosynus, who was taken miraculously to Paradise and brought back fruit from it. That tells me it is still real, but I know the story carries little weight to those outside of Orthodoxy.

I don't deny science either. I will not compromise divine revelation or scientific learning (the age of the earth and evolution). Right now I don't have a way to reconcile these, and if pressed, I will admit the tension. For me, though, it is a very real place.

Endless

Wiccans usually don't believe in the bible so it makes it unusual for a Wiccan to believe in this sort of thing.
Ah right, understand now :) Have you come across other Wiccans who also believe in the garden of Eden?

weeza

It's said that Eden is in the middle east or something? Maybe it is, how will we ever know for sure? I believe it might have been a place at the beginning of time. But if you believe in evolution, then Eden is nothing but crap.

may

The traditional location for the garden of Eden has long been suggested to have been a mountainous area some 225 km (140 mi) SW of Mount Ararat and a few kilometers S of Lake Van, in the eastern part of modern Turkey. That Eden may have been surrounded by some natural barrier, such as mountains, could be suggested by the fact that cherubs are stated to have been stationed only at the E of the garden, from which point Adam and Eve made their exit.—Ge 3:24.​

After Adam’s banishment from the paradisaic garden, with no one to "cultivate it and to take care of it," it may be assumed that it merely grew up in natural profusion with only the animals to inhabit its confines until it was obliterated by the surging waters of the Flood, its location lost to man except for the divine record of its existence.—Ge 2:15.

Steve

turk179 said:
Tim
It was a real location, however the world was changed dramatically by the fall and a global flood.
Cheers Steve

Bishka

Veteran Member
I believe it was a real place, and like dawny and nutshell, man would not be able to return there because of their lost and fallen state.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
turk179 said:
Tim
I don't believe that the story of Adam and Eve literally happened, but I do believe that the people who first told the story had a particular place in mind for the setting. Perhaps it was some place they knew of that was very beautiful. According to the biblical scholars who spend their time pouring thru clues in the text - references to rivers, etc - I think that the consensus is that Eden was somewhere in what is now Iraq, ironically enough.