• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The future of tech used for control and submission of people.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
If they follow the rule of law without prejudice they have to be an improvement on bent, racist, sexist, untrained cops.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
You haven't seen 2010, have you? HAL was programmed to do as it did - by people without a conscience (or insight, or foresight). Just the scenario I fear.
I haven’t seen it in years.
But yes that’s why I used Hal9000 as an example of “evil.”

Heyo

Veteran Member
The US uses COMPAS to sentence prisoners.

An algorithm that lazy Judges usually rubber stamp without even thinking about it, essentially putting the length of a sentence pretty much in the hands of an ai.
Do you check the results of your calculator? If it works reliable, you can use it without an afterthought. And it may even give more consistent results as it removes human bias.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
Should this kind of thing be banned?
Not currently. Right now its little more than a big vacuum cleaner. Surveillance is the real enemy of the public trust. Robots don't rape, don't get high, don't bribe judges or corrupt prosecutors or care if you are poor or rich. Overall they are a good idea if they are not dangerous and if we aren't under strange curfew laws.

If they start to think we will have another discussion about it. If they are used to oppress, then we will have another discussion about it.

Imagine thousands if not millions of these things roaming around enforcing whatever a government wants to be enforced.

Would you listen to a roving fully automatious machine if it ordered you to comply?

Imagine how much more things like this will advance and upgrade twenty thirty years from now?
Thousands of them armed with stunners? That doesn't scare me as much as what we have now, and I think it might be good if the neighborhood watch had them or if an apartment complex had them. They seem good for private security. They'd make good meter maids, too.

Audie

Veteran Member
Should this kind of thing be banned?

Imagine thousands if not millions of these things roaming around enforcing whatever a government wants to be enforced.

Would you listen to a roving fully automatious machine if it ordered you to comply?

Imagine how much more things like this will advance and upgrade twenty thirty years from now?

A bottle of gasoline works on tanks

Audie

Veteran Member
This is why we need to demilitarize our police, and make them an agency that serves and protects people as opposed to an agency of law enforcement. Right now they see themselves almost entirely as a law enforcement agency. And that needs to change.
So who does law enforcement

PureX

Veteran Member
So who does law enforcement
What kind? Parking laws? Traffic laws? Commercial laws? Domestic/social laws? Violent criminal laws? I think there should be special task forces for these with requisite training.

Audie

Veteran Member
What kind? Parking laws? Traffic laws? Commercial laws? Domestic/social laws? Violent criminal laws? I think there should be special task forces for these with requisite training.
Spl task forces..trained for each law.