• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The future is insane :D

Nimos

This is a demonstration someone made with OpenAI.

Will just quote the website of what it is:
We’ve created an improved version of OpenAI Codex, our AI system that translates natural language to code, and we are releasing it through our API in private beta starting today. From 2021

For those that don't really know what this is about, it is a computer writing the code, based on what the person simply tells it to do.

Imagine this technology in 10 years or 50 years, humans are going to be obsolete :D

Last edited:

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Probably after awhile, people will tend to be able to develop advanced video games just by messing with some parameters in a software, then tweaking the end result.

nPeace

Veteran Member
This is a demonstration someone made with OpenAI.

Will just quote the website of what it is:
We’ve created an improved version of OpenAI Codex, our AI system that translates natural language to code, and we are releasing it through our API in private beta starting today. From 2021

For those that don't really know what this is about, it is a computer writing the code, based on what the person simply tells it to do.

Imagine this technology in 10 years or 50 years, humans are going to be obsolete :D
Probably some teenage did this. It's not hard to do. Just learn how to code in any language out there - Python, Lua, C++, C#, and the other 50 :D, and you're good to go.
You can even write a voice command program that does the same thing.

Nowadays, learning to code is everyone's dream... and they are pursuing it. ;)

Nimos

Probably some teenage did this. It's not hard to do. Just learn how to code in any language out there - Python, Lua, C++, C#, and the other 50 :D, and you're good to go.

I don't think you understand it or you might not have watched the video.

Programming a game like that is not difficult.

What the person is doing using the OpenAI codex, is just writing what he wants it to do using natural language and the computer figures out how to program it for him. That is not standard within programming.

From Wiki:
Generative Pre-trained Transformer 3 (GPT-3; stylized GPT·3) is an autoregressive language model that uses deep learning to produce human-like text. Given an initial text as prompt, it will produce text that continues the prompt.

The architecture is a standard transformer network (with a few engineering tweaks) with the unprecedented size of 2048-token-long context and 175 billion parameters (requiring 800 GB of storage). The training method is "generative pretraining", meaning that it is trained to predict what the next token is. The model demonstrated strong few-shot learning on many text-based tasks.

It is the third-generation language prediction model in the GPT-n series (and the successor to GPT-2) created by OpenAI, a San Francisco-based artificial intelligence research laboratory.[2] GPT-3, which was introduced in May 2020, and was in beta testing as of July 2020,[3] is part of a trend in natural language processing (NLP) systems of pre-trained language representations.[1]

The quality of the text generated by GPT-3 is so high that it can be difficult to determine whether or not it was written by a human, which has both benefits and risks.[4] Thirty-one OpenAI researchers and engineers presented the original May 28, 2020 paper introducing GPT-3. In their paper, they warned of GPT-3's potential dangers and called for research to mitigate risk.[1]: 34  David Chalmers, an Australian philosopher, described GPT-3 as "one of the most interesting and important AI systems ever produced."[5] An April 2022 review in The New York Times described GPT-3's capabilities as being able to write original prose with fluency equivalent to that of a human.[6]

nPeace

Veteran Member
I don't think you understand it or you might not have watched the video.

Programming a game like that is not difficult.

What the person is doing using the OpenAI codex, is just writing what he wants it to do using natural language and the computer figures out how to program it for him. That is not standard within programming.

From Wiki:
Generative Pre-trained Transformer 3 (GPT-3; stylized GPT·3) is an autoregressive language model that uses deep learning to produce human-like text. Given an initial text as prompt, it will produce text that continues the prompt.

The architecture is a standard transformer network (with a few engineering tweaks) with the unprecedented size of 2048-token-long context and 175 billion parameters (requiring 800 GB of storage). The training method is "generative pretraining", meaning that it is trained to predict what the next token is. The model demonstrated strong few-shot learning on many text-based tasks.

It is the third-generation language prediction model in the GPT-n series (and the successor to GPT-2) created by OpenAI, a San Francisco-based artificial intelligence research laboratory.[2] GPT-3, which was introduced in May 2020, and was in beta testing as of July 2020,[3] is part of a trend in natural language processing (NLP) systems of pre-trained language representations.[1]

The quality of the text generated by GPT-3 is so high that it can be difficult to determine whether or not it was written by a human, which has both benefits and risks.[4] Thirty-one OpenAI researchers and engineers presented the original May 28, 2020 paper introducing GPT-3. In their paper, they warned of GPT-3's potential dangers and called for research to mitigate risk.[1]: 34  David Chalmers, an Australian philosopher, described GPT-3 as "one of the most interesting and important AI systems ever produced."[5] An April 2022 review in The New York Times described GPT-3's capabilities as being able to write original prose with fluency equivalent to that of a human.[6]
You're right. I speak of what I don't know. :)

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Voice to code is starting to appear in commercial settings as an alternative to previously available no code/low code app development.

This is real.

Nimos

You're right. I speak of what I don't know. :)
Imagine in the future, being at work and you need some program to do a specific task for you. As it is now, you would need a lot of people to develop this software for you, analyze the needs, then make a design document, then design it, program it, test and bug-fix it etc. And it would cost you a **** load of money most likely because these things rarely come cheap.

Now imagine anyone, without any programming skills whatsoever can sit down in front of their computer and just tell it what they need, what data is important etc. and 2 hours later or whatever you have the program that can do what you want.

As I see it, these AI's at some point will be able to gather data from the internet or from certified data hubs with verified knowledge and based on these be able to help doctors and scientists or people in general with gathering information. No human can compete with that as an individual, simply because a doctor for instance can't keep up or track all new medical science, whereas a computer has absolutely no issue with it. To me, it will have a just as big impact on society when it is fully developed as the computer had on modern-day society or electricity or something like that.

You might remember Watson whom IBM is working on?

If not this will give a quick overview.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Now imagine anyone, without any programming skills whatsoever can sit down in front of their computer and just tell it what they need, what data is important etc. and 2 hours later or whatever you have the program that can do what you want.
The horror. But a logical conclusion. When I started working, one had to have talent. But new languages, integrated environments and helpful tools made it so that already today anyone with no talent in programming can get a program to "work". And you can see it in the programs.

Nimos

The horror. But a logical conclusion. When I started working, one had to have talent. But new languages, integrated environments and helpful tools made it so that already today anyone with no talent in programming can get a program to "work". And you can see it in the programs.
Yes and no, there is probably going to be a switch in functionality at some point once technology like this gets more normal and equal to that of someone using Siri.
As with many other jobs where technology has been introduced fewer people will be needed to make things work, and advanced AI is going to have a similar effect. A lot of people today work in jobs that could probably be handled by computers doing exactly what they do, but much better and a whole lot faster. For some people especially within scientific fields, I would see AI being an excellent partner, giving them much faster and more accurate feedback. Whereas in other jobs they will completely replace humans.

These AI's are not just good at specific tasks if their programming allows them to "learn" like a human, and draw objective conclusions based on an almost infinite amount of data, there is absolutely no way a human can compete with that.

The benefit of it is obvious that a whole lot more can be done in a shorter amount of time and most likely of higher quality.

I find it very interesting, but also can't help but be a bit worried about the future, technology is going to collide with humans' way of living at some point, meaning how our whole societies are built up around an economy and how exactly we are going to solve that issue I don't know because I think a lot of people will have a rough time finding jobs where they are even qualified, or where one might think that wouldn't an advanced AI / robot be more effective?

Nimos

Here are some examples of what people have done with it now, and it doesn't take a whole lot of imagination to think how this is going to work when it is fully fleshed out or improved, this is pretty crazy I would say:

Heyo

Veteran Member
Yes and no, there is probably going to be a switch in functionality at some point once technology like this gets more normal and equal to that of someone using Siri.
As with many other jobs where technology has been introduced fewer people will be needed to make things work, and advanced AI is going to have a similar effect. A lot of people today work in jobs that could probably be handled by computers doing exactly what they do, but much better and a whole lot faster. For some people especially within scientific fields, I would see AI being an excellent partner, giving them much faster and more accurate feedback. Whereas in other jobs they will completely replace humans.

These AI's are not just good at specific tasks if their programming allows them to "learn" like a human, and draw objective conclusions based on an almost infinite amount of data, there is absolutely no way a human can compete with that.

The benefit of it is obvious that a whole lot more can be done in a shorter amount of time and most likely of higher quality.

I find it very interesting, but also can't help but be a bit worried about the future, technology is going to collide with humans' way of living at some point, meaning how our whole societies are built up around an economy and how exactly we are going to solve that issue I don't know because I think a lot of people will have a rough time finding jobs where they are even qualified, or where one might think that wouldn't an advanced AI / robot be more effective?
I agree on almost all things you just said. And those programming bots will be excellent tools when they learn from the best - in the hands of people who know how to use the tools. The problem in software design isn't that it is hard to program, it is to know what you want and what you need.
The three most dangerous people in computer/software design are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware guy with a program patch and a user with an idea.

Nimos

I agree on almost all things you just said. And those programming bots will be excellent tools when they learn from the best - in the hands of people who know how to use the tools. The problem in software design isn't that it is hard to program, it is to know what you want and what you need.
The three most dangerous people in computer/software design are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware guy with a program patch and a user with an idea.
Agree, at least how it is now.

But imagine a computer having access to all programming books or theories stored in a database and capable of "reading" them and obviously understanding them. If these AIs were simply preprogrammed with limited knowledge, they wouldn't really be all that impressive and it would require a lot of maintenance to keep them up to date. But one could imagine a knowledge data hub of some kind like a wiki as an example, where all knowledge is stored and whenever something new is figured out or new data have been discovered this new information is added and the AI will just parse through it regularly keeping itself up to date or what to say. So all these design issues or programming issues, what UIs are considered the most user-friendly both in regards to people with or without disabilities. All these information can be added to this data hub, and the computer could probably at some point figure out which design or UI is best suited, or the user could simply tell it to change it based on what they prefer.
So the best to teach it, will be this data hub with all that knowledge stored in it that is constantly updated with new information.