• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Frightening Matt. 5.

Ellen Brown

Matt. 5:

I was going to cut and paste this, but it is far too large.

Still, in reading and studying it, there is almost a whole belief system there. I'm at first discouraged because what Jesus alludes to is far more than I currently can do. It provides compelling goals for every single day, and as devoted to God as I believe myself to be, I am still fraught with imperfections.

It is amazing that any of us can feel that we please God. I don't feel overwhelmed by Micah 6:8 but Matt. 5 is another story.

Firemorphic

Activist Membrane
Not only just 5 but 5-7, that famous (but often misappreciated by Christians themselves) sermon is so powerful, from a philosophical and ethical point of view it's probably the greatest passages in the NT, imo.

Ellen Brown

Not only just 5 but 5-7, that famous (but often misappreciated by Christians themselves) sermon is so powerful, from a philosophical and ethical point of view it's probably the greatest passages in the NT, imo.

I agree and feel so aware of my faults when studying that. Remind me why I should feel that I can ever please God?

Firemorphic

Activist Membrane
I agree and feel so aware of my faults when studying that. Remind me why I should feel that I can ever please God?

What do you mean by "pleasing God"? that's sort of foreign to the Islamic understanding (you did post this in the comparative DIR). God itself gives us pleasure, which is the ultimate Bliss resulting from perfection.
Everything we do in this life (including worshiping God) is to the effect and consequence of "our own soul" (as the Qur'an always refers to it as), which relates to the theological concept of Akhlaq.

The 5-7 passage is extremely provocative and direct in it's insistence, yet also a bit esoteric in areas. It's essential point is against hypocrisy and the immediate importance to action, in our doings in this life.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

The fact that we are aware of our faults and repent of our shortcomings is the only thing God requires of sinners who don't have a lot of choice as to how imperfect they may be. God forgives in a large way (Isaiah 55:7)....Jesus was the guarantee for that.

Ellen Brown

What do you mean by "pleasing God"? that's sort of foreign to the Islamic understanding (you did post this in the comparative DIR). God itself gives us pleasure, which is the ultimate Bliss resulting from perfection.
Everything we do in this life (including worshiping God) is to the effect and consequence of "our own soul" (as the Qur'an always refers to it as), which relates to the theological concept of Akhlaq.

The 5-7 passage is extremely provocative and direct in it's insistence, yet also a bit esoteric in areas. It's essential point is against hypocrisy and the immediate importance to action, in our doings in this life.

It is important that we feel the challenge to be pleasing to Allah SWT. IMHO

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I really like Matthew chapter 5. The beatitudes are all about impermanance (an important concept in Buddhism.) Verses 21-30 parallels Dhammapada 1:1-2 in that all these things start with the heart/mind, with Matt 5:29-30 explained by Buddha's Fire Sermon in growing estranged from the burning sensory information that causes the harmful stuff to arise in your mind. Matthew 5:38-48 parallels Dhammapada 1:5-6 in that hatred does not overcome hatred--that hatred is overcome only by non-hatred (or love.) Impermanance makes one settle their disputes quickly.

leov

God pleased
Matt. 5:

I was going to cut and paste this, but it is far too large.

Still, in reading and studying it, there is almost a whole belief system there. I'm at first discouraged because what Jesus alludes to is far more than I currently can do. It provides compelling goals for every single day, and as devoted to God as I believe myself to be, I am still fraught with imperfections.

It is amazing that any of us can feel that we please God. I don't feel overwhelmed by Micah 6:8 but Matt. 5 is another story.
understanding and following the Golden Rule concept pleased God, not from the Book of Law but from inside of your heart.