• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Four Temperaments

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
Phlematic
Melancholy
Sanguine
Choleric
History of the Four Temperaments | CatholicMatch Institute

These four temperaments, or way of categorizing personality types, goes back a long ways. They are not scientifically based as far as I can tell, but are very popular. Catholicism has taken a liking to this paradigm and so have some COCs.

I read up on it and realized it's only popular culture. It leaves a lot of personality patterns out. Wondering if other Christian belief systems are familiar with this paradigm, if they use it, and/or what your thoughts are about it.

I've come to the conclusion that it has little to no basis in truth. Saying I'm "sanguine-choleric" is no more credible than saying, "I'm a Libra".

Thank you.

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Phlematic
Melancholy
Sanguine
Choleric
History of the Four Temperaments | CatholicMatch Institute

These four temperaments, or way of categorizing personality types, goes back a long ways. They are not scientifically based as far as I can tell, but are very popular. Catholicism has taken a liking to this paradigm and so have some COCs.

I read up on it and realized it's only popular culture. It leaves a lot of personality patterns out. Wondering if other Christian belief systems are familiar with this paradigm, if they use it, and/or what your thoughts are about it. I've come to the conclusion that it has no more basis in truth than Zodiac signs. Saying I'm sanguine-choleric is as valid as saying, I'm a scorpio.

Thank you.
No, I don't. I know I am not phlegmatic.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
May I inquire as to why this is in scriptural debates? If one is not debating religious scripture, another forum would be more suitable for this topic. If you don't want debate, comparative religion would be most appropriate. I can move it for you. :D

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
May I inquire as to why this is in scriptural debates? If one is not debating religious scripture, another forum would be more suitable for this topic. If you don't want debate, comparative religion would be most appropriate. I can move it for you. :D
The reason is that it has become a Bible companion in some churches to understand people and it is being used as a spiritual growth guide. I intend to move this conversation in a direction showing that it is incompatible with the Bible. It has been claimed to be compatible with the Bible, calling Paul a choleric, Peter a sanguine, Abraham a Phlematic, and Moses a melancholy.

Tumah

Veteran Member
We have something similar, four temperaments, based on the four elements. But as far as I understand, it is understood more like the humors. That is, everyone has all four temperaments and its just a matter of ratios.

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
We have something similar, four temperaments, based on the four elements. But as far as I understand, it is understood more like the humors. That is, everyone has all four temperaments and its just a matter of ratios.
Wow.