• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Four Horsemen

SpentaMaynu

One God, All in all
My friend and I love the book of Revelation in the Bible. Both of us were Theology students and both of us studied many different interpretations and perceptions on the book of Revelation. So we've had one of our many discussions on it when my friend ask me this question: Are the Four Horsemen of the Apocalyps demonic, angelic, human or a mixture of these?
I've immediately found this a very interesting question as I've never before read anything about this. Normally there's just explanations on what they may or may not represent and not on what exactly they are.
My personal opinion is that they might be a mixture of demon, angel and human and here's why - the white horse is according to me false peace and therefore I believe this is a human being (though possibly possessed by a demon or even Satan himself), the second horse and the pale horse is war and famine and therefore most probably demons, the last horse is Death himself and as I believe that this is the same Death spoken of in other parts of the Bible such as where the Egyptian firstborn were killed etc I think he is an angel.
Now I realize that this is a very literal interpretation, but please humor me. Please also give reasons why you believe them to be either angels, demons, humans or a mixture.:angel2:)(

kaoticprofit

My friend and I love the book of Revelation in the Bible. Both of us were Theology students and both of us studied many different interpretations and perceptions on the book of Revelation. So we've had one of our many discussions on it when my friend ask me this question: Are the Four Horsemen of the Apocalyps demonic, angelic, human or a mixture of these?
I've immediately found this a very interesting question as I've never before read anything about this. Normally there's just explanations on what they may or may not represent and not on what exactly they are.
My personal opinion is that they might be a mixture of demon, angel and human and here's why - the white horse is according to me false peace and therefore I believe this is a human being (though possibly possessed by a demon or even Satan himself), the second horse and the pale horse is war and famine and therefore most probably demons, the last horse is Death himself and as I believe that this is the same Death spoken of in other parts of the Bible such as where the Egyptian firstborn were killed etc I think he is an angel.
Now I realize that this is a very literal interpretation, but please humor me. Please also give reasons why you believe them to be either angels, demons, humans or a mixture.:angel2:)(

Each of the four horsemen have a rider and a mission. In my studies I've concluded that the riders are human and all four of them Islamic. There have been many theories about them over the centuries. My belief?

The first seal or white horseman is symbolic of "holy war."

You can read what I wrote about the first seal and Four Horsemen here....

http://www.blacksheepprophecies.com/the-first-seal.html

Last edited:

SpentaMaynu

One God, All in all
Each of the four horsemen have a rider and a mission. In my studies I've concluded that the riders are human and all four of them Islamic. There have been many theories about them over the centuries. My belief?

The First Seal - BLACKSHEEPPROPHECIES.COM

Thank You, this is something I would never have thought about. Very interesting theory

jdpadgett

The four horseman represent the four sore judgements of God. Eze 14:21 For thus saith the Lord GOD; How much more when I send my four sore judgments upon Jerusalem, the sword, and the famine, and the noisome beast, and the pestilence, to cut off from it man and beast? I see them as heavenly representations of these judgments.

kaoticprofit

The four horseman represent the four sore judgements of God. Eze 14:21 For thus saith the Lord GOD; How much more when I send my four sore judgments upon Jerusalem, the sword, and the famine, and the noisome beast, and the pestilence, to cut off from it man and beast? I see them as heavenly representations of these judgments.

The four horsemen are not judgments. They are people and events that are the leading indicators of a course of end-time prophecy. Many people do believe they are judgments but I disagree.

It's surprising to me how people just accept what other people say and completely disregard what the Word of God says.

Nearly every commentator tells us that the seven seals are judgments. They call them the seal judgments. There's no scriptural support to believe that these seals are judgments at all. God's wrath and judgment doesn't come until the seventh seal which covers the seven trumpets, the three woes, and the seven vials. His wrath, judgment, and the saints' reward comes in the seventh seal/trumpet.

The seventh seal covers a great expanse of scriptures. It starts at Revelation 8:1.
Revelation 8:1 And when he had opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven about the space of half an hour.

And ends in Revelation 16:17 after the last vial of God's wrath is poured out by the seventh angel.

Revelation 16:17 And the seventh angel poured out his vial into the air; and there came a great voice out of the temple of heaven, from the throne, saying, It is done.

The seventh trumpet sounds here...

Revelation 10:7 But in the days of the voice of the seventh angel, when he shall begin to sound, the mystery of God should be finished, as he hath declared to his servants the prophets.

Revelation 11:15 And the seventh angel sounded.....

God's wrath begins here...

Revelation 11:18 And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead, that they should be judged, and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great; and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth.

God's judgment upon the earth comes here...

Revelation 14:7 Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.

The seven plagues are God's judgment and wrath!

Revelation 15:1 And I saw another sign in heaven, great and marvellous, seven angels having the seven last plagues; for in them is filled up the wrath of God.

Revelation 15:7 And one of the four beasts gave unto the seven angels seven golden vials full of the wrath of God, who liveth for ever and ever.

So what are the seals if they are not judgments?

First the word apocalypse is an unveiling of events.

Strong's says this about a seal....

d) that by which anything is confirmed, proved, authenticated, as by a seal (a token or proof)

Basically these seals authenticate an unveiling of events!

The four horsemen are a sequence of events. The word seal denotes authenticity and secrecy. Each seal is a symbolic disclosure of events previously unknown. They are a divine prophetic message that's revealed after they pass, and even before they pass if we are open to understanding their meaning. In the apocalypse, the seals are used to convey the opening events and course of prophecy. Seals are a disclosure or "unveiling" of events.

The seals are given to us to help us determine where we are in the prophetic time clock.....WHICH DOES NOT STOP LIKE MANY WOULD LIKE YOU TO BELIEVE AS IN THE SO CALLED DANIEL'S 70TH WEEK! The seals are signs and a sequence of events that will lead us into tribulation and the eventual revelation of the man of sin and the open scroll.

There's nothing in the first six seals that indicates that they are judgments. Only the seventh seal is a seal of judgments. In it the righteous, and especially the wicked are judged, by the wrath of God.

BLACKSHEEPPROPHECIES.COM - HOME PAGE

Todd Martin

I don't consider myself very religious, but mostly due to the TV Series Supernatural, I have become fascinated with the Four Horsemen! I was searching to find out what type of being they are, angel, demon, or other. I am inclined to a

I don't consider myself very religious, but mostly due to the TV Series Supernatural, I have become fascinated with the Four Horsemen! I was searching to find out what type of being they are, angel, demon, or other. I'm yet to find any straight answer, but I feel SpentaMaynu's answer was as close to my own thoughts.

I feel that the first 3 Horsemen are an extremely high ranking type of angel, because they seem to be to be more servants and structured.

The first, on a white horse, Pestilence, comes to spread plague (which involves Death, and I'll come back around to that). Stands to reason, if you're going to start the apocalypse, and if you're willing to go in to a fair fight, spread some plague and let the strong survive. I'd consider Pestilence a high ranking angel who is probably lacking free will and more of a weapon.

Now that you have your strong remaining, you'd naturally send out War on the red horse to instigate conflict to narrow down the pool even more. (still more death - promise I'll come back around to that). Same deal as his white equestrian friend, on a mission, follows orders.

Well now you're just stuck with a handful of a hearty stock, so clearly, you would send Famine on the black horse to really put the hurt on (even MORE death). Still no apparent motives, just doing what he's supposed to do.

Now, my favorite.. Death on his Pale Horse. It would stand to reason, in my naive opinion, Death never really needed his seal to be broken because he's as natural as cool mountain spring water and as inevitable as taxes. Unless Death was present to clean up the mess of souls left behind by the first 3 Horsemen, they couldn't have effectively done their job. Can't get all apocalyptic unless Death is on hand to... you know, claim life.

I am sure I will be called an idiot for forming this opinion based off of some short research, a TV series and speculation, and that's fine :) just please be nice.

In Supernatural when Death makes his first appearance he makes a remark about being very old. When asked how old, he replies "As old as God, maybe older. Neither of us can remember anymore. Life, death, chicken, egg; regardless, I'll reap him too." (and also when Death makes his first appearance on the show, rather than a pale horse, Death drives on to the scene in a Pale 1959 Cadillac Eldorado)

But to me, it makes sense that Death possibly wears a couple hats and is more powerful than this other 3 brothers. He's a natural, necessary part of life, free to move about and handle his business, and also "on call" to be a Horseman when the time comes. Whereas his other 3 brothers seem to be largely dormant until their seals are broken.

And according to the TV Series, Death has an army of lower level reapers in his employ, (he can't be everywhere) but that Death is the Great Granddaddy Grim Reaper.

They also portray him as being exceedingly charming, level headed with a penchant for junk food!

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

The white horse's rider stands for: Jesus. The horse itself standing for warfare.
Jesus conducts only ' righteous warfare ' - Revelation 19:11

The red horse takes away peace from the earth - Revelation 6:4 - standing for bloody warfare.
We have seen this on a global scale starting with World War I when the scale of killing dwarfed the past.
Whereas Christian warfare is only spiritual - 2 Corinthians 10:3-4; John 17:11; John 17:14

The black horse - Revelation 6:5 B - stands for famine or food shortages on earth. War brings famine in its wake.

The pale horse - Revelation 6:8 A - has death and the grave. The word ' pale ' well describes faces sick with diseases.
Revelation 6:8 B adds untimely death caused by wild animals. Probably hungry animals.

We are truly in the last days of badness on earth - 2 Timothy 3:1-5 - before Jesus takes the action of Revelation 19:14-15; Isaiah 11:3-4 when Jesus will rid the earth of wickedness - Psalms 92:7 - before Jesus, as Prince of Peace, ushers in global Peace on Earth among men of goodwill. Then, under Jesus' 1,000 year governmental rulership over earth, Jesus will fulfill God's promise to Abraham that all families of earth will be blessed, and all nations of earth will be blessed. Blessed with the healing or curing of earth's nations under Christ.
- Genesis 12:3; Genesis 22:18; Revelation 22:2

First Baseman

Retired athlete

http://www.blacksheepprophecies.com/the-first-seal.html

Very interesting, well researched and thought out.

First Baseman

Retired athlete
The white horse's rider stands for: Jesus. The horse itself standing for warfare.
Jesus conducts only ' righteous warfare ' - Revelation 19:11

The red horse takes away peace from the earth - Revelation 6:4 - standing for bloody warfare.
We have seen this on a global scale starting with World War I when the scale of killing dwarfed the past.
Whereas Christian warfare is only spiritual - 2 Corinthians 10:3-4; John 17:11; John 17:14

The black horse - Revelation 6:5 B - stands for famine or food shortages on earth. War brings famine in its wake.

The pale horse - Revelation 6:8 A - has death and the grave. The word ' pale ' well describes faces sick with diseases.
Revelation 6:8 B adds untimely death caused by wild animals. Probably hungry animals.

We are truly in the last days of badness on earth - 2 Timothy 3:1-5 - before Jesus takes the action of Revelation 19:14-15; Isaiah 11:3-4 when Jesus will rid the earth of wickedness - Psalms 92:7 - before Jesus, as Prince of Peace, ushers in global Peace on Earth among men of goodwill. Then, under Jesus' 1,000 year governmental rulership over earth, Jesus will fulfill God's promise to Abraham that all families of earth will be blessed, and all nations of earth will be blessed. Blessed with the healing or curing of earth's nations under Christ.
- Genesis 12:3; Genesis 22:18; Revelation 22:2

Also a good post.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Very interesting, well researched and thought out.

But please notice that Jesus does Not have a ' crossed sword ' but the words from Jesus' mouth are likened to a single sword
- Revelation 19:15, and the rod of his mouth and the breath of his lips to slay the wicked. - Isaiah 11:4

Jesus, the rider of the white horse - Revelation 6:2 - has a bow (and arrow) symbolizing to complete his conquest in conquering evil.
Jesus will continue until he has ultimate success - Psalms 2:9; Psalms 45:4-7

First Baseman

Retired athlete
But please notice that Jesus does Not have a ' crossed sword ' but the words from Jesus' mouth are likened to a single sword
- Revelation 19:15, and the rod of his mouth and the breath of his lips to slay the wicked. - Isaiah 11:4

Jesus, the rider of the white horse - Revelation 6:2 - has a bow (and arrow) symbolizing to complete his conquest in conquering evil.
Jesus will continue until he has ultimate success - Psalms 2:9; Psalms 45:4-7

Good point. The symbolism regarding the sword usually refers to the word of God, a sharp two-edged sword.

SpentaMaynu

One God, All in all
I honestly love that my old post was revived and I thank all who answered (I might come back and comment on some of it, unfortunately my time is limited at the moment). I sarcastically love how some people do not answer the question - in this discussion we are not interested in what the horsemen REPRESENTS, but in what the ARE. In other words not the meaning. Thanks for those got that particular point right, no matter how naive.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
4, is/was, a very important number in the bible.
I think the "four horseman" have something to do with race(s).

In the book of Revelation the # 4 stands for, or signifies, universalness or being foursquare in symmetry
Please notice Revelation 4:6; Revelation 7:1-2; Revelation 9:14; Revelation 20:8 and Revelation 21:16

When something is ' foursquare ' that would mean: sturdy or in good balance. Such as a chair having 4 legs would be balanced.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I honestly love that my old post was revived and I thank all who answered (I might come back and comment on some of it, unfortunately my time is limited at the moment). I sarcastically love how some people do not answer the question - in this discussion we are not interested in what the horsemen REPRESENTS, but in what the ARE. In other words not the meaning. Thanks for those got that particular point right, no matter how naive.

In what they are:
Jesus on the white horse
War on the red horse
Food shortages on the black horse
Sickness and death on the pale horse