• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Folly of Atheism

ArtieE

If nobody believed in God, you'd find out how quickly society deteriorated.
Except of course it's the opposite.
Secular Societies Fare Better Than Religious Societies

"If it were true that when belief in God weakens, societal well-being diminishes, then we should see abundant evidence for this. But we don’t. In fact, we find just the opposite: Those societies today that are the most religious — where faith in God is strong and religious participation is high — tend to have the highest violent crime rates, while those societies in which faith and church attendance are the weakest — the most secular societies — tend to have the lowest."
Op-Ed: Think religion makes society less violent? Think again.

Just think about it for a second: People called sheep actually need shepherds and Holy Books to tell them that they shouldn't steal or lie or murder or behave otherwise badly... and you expect these people to build good societies?
That does not mean that everyone has to believe in God, as some people can be moral without a God belief. However, even those people have been affected by a society in which most people believe in God so the teachings of religion such as the Golden Rule have come to them by osmosis.
Except of course it's the opposite. Ever since the first communities treating others like you would be treated yourself was good for the well-being and survival of the communities and the people in them. So of course the behavior was supported and taught and incorporated into all kinds of religions. Seems you put the cart before the horse...

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Trailblazer said: If nobody believed in God, you'd find out how quickly society deteriorated.

Except of course it's the opposite.
Secular Societies Fare Better Than Religious Societies

"If it were true that when belief in God weakens, societal well-being diminishes, then we should see abundant evidence for this. But we don’t. In fact, we find just the opposite: Those societies today that are the most religious — where faith in God is strong and religious participation is high — tend to have the highest violent crime rates, while those societies in which faith and church attendance are the weakest — the most secular societies — tend to have the lowest."
Op-Ed: Think religion makes society less violent? Think again.
However, how do you know that lack of belief in God is the reason these societies fare better? There could be other reasons specific to these countries and their governments.

Also, what they are comparing is Christianity vs. secularism, and Christianity is only one religion of many. Obviously, something is bad at black rock if Christians are committing crimes, and it could be they do not follow the teachings of Jesus but rather just pay lip service to their religions. This is what happens when the spirit of religion dies out and only the form remains. People do not really believe in God, because if they did they would follow the teachings and laws of their religions.
Just think about it for a second: People called sheep actually need shepherds and Holy Books to tell them that they shouldn't steal or lie or murder or behave otherwise badly... and you expect these people to build good societies?
The fact that they need religion and follow religion does not mean they cannot build good societies. Then you also have to ask what you mean by a good society. If it all about materialism and having a high standard of living and being happy in a material sense, I do not consider that good, because that is not what humans were created for. Sure it is good to have a high standard of living and be educated but that is not the purpose of life from a religious perspective. So it is as if they drove by the barn and missed reading what is written on the broad side of the barn, which says “to know and worship God.

Then you also have to ask how these atheists got their morals. There is a good chance they were handed down by religion from previous generations rather than being innate. People are not born with morals, moral behavior is learned. They can always reject a God belief and religion later, but their morals came from somewhere.

I was not raised in a religious home and I did not believe in God before I became a Baha’i at age 17, but I had a moral sense, probably because both my parents had been raised as Christians, even though they later rejected Christianity.
Trailblazer said: That does not mean that everyone has to believe in God, as some people can be moral without a God belief. However, even those people have been affected by a society in which most people believe in God so the teachings of religion such as the Golden Rule have come to them by osmosis.

Except of course it's the opposite. Ever since the first communities treating others like you would be treated yourself was good for the well-being and survival of the communities and the people in them. So of course the behavior was supported and taught and incorporated into all kinds of religions. Seems you put the cart before the horse...
It is a Baha’i belief that Messengers of God (Prophets) have been sent by God to humanity since the beginning of human history. They have been the Great Educators of mankind and from them religions were established. Many of these religions predate the art of writing so we do not know anything about them, except that they existed. Of course, I believe this because Baha’u’llah wrote it.

So, from my point of view, human behavior was not incorporated into religions, human behavior was affected by religions, but that does not negate the fact that people also learn by living in society what is good for the well-being and survival of the communities and the people in them. That is also true.

ArtieE

However, how do you know that lack of belief in God is the reason these societies fare better? There could be other reasons specific to these countries and their governments.
Such as?
The fact that they need religion and follow religion does not mean they cannot build good societies.
Obviously if they need to be told how to behave instead of just behaving morally because it's in their nature there's a problem...
Then you also have to ask what you mean by a good society. If it all about materialism and having a high standard of living and being happy in a material sense, I do not consider that good, because that is not what humans were created for.
A good society is a prosperous society where people live long and happy lives. Happy in all kinds of senses. If inventing gods and religions and believing in them makes people happy evolution will select for it.
Sure it is good to have a high standard of living and be educated but that is not the purpose of life from a religious perspective. So it is as if they drove by the barn and missed reading what is written on the broad side of the barn, which says “to know and worship God.
You can invent and worship as many gods as you like that's no guarantee for happiness.
Then you also have to ask how these atheists got their morals. There is a good chance they were handed down by religion from previous generations rather than being innate. People are not born with morals, moral behavior is learned. They can always reject a God belief and religion later, but their morals came from somewhere.
From evolution. Our Brains are Wired for Morality: Evolution, Development, and Neuroscience
I was not raised in a religious home and I did not believe in God before I became a Baha’i at age 17, but I had a moral sense, probably because both my parents had been raised as Christians, even though they later rejected Christianity.
No, you had a basic moral sense simply because your parents' DNA is such that it wired their brains for moral behavior and you inherited their genes.

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Obviously if they need to be told how to behave instead of just behaving morally because it's in their nature there's a problem...
Why is that a problem? Do you think people are born with a moral compass? We have to learn it somewhere. We learn it from teachers, parents, other people we encounter in life, and from religion if we have one.
A good society is a prosperous society where people live long and happy lives. Happy in all kinds of senses. If inventing gods and religions and believing in them makes people happy evolution will select for it.
I do not believe that personal happiness is a measure of good. People can be very happy in a material sense because they have all their material needs met yet they are empty inside and have no spiritual values.
You can invent and worship as many gods as you like that's no guarantee for happiness.
The problem with society is that personal happiness is the goal. That leads to selfishness which is the root of all evil. There is nothing wrong with personal happiness but when it becomes the purpose of life something is seriously wrong. Of course that comes from a religions viewpoint that this life is fleeting and the next life is the main act of the play. This is just the prelude.
If our brains are wired for morality how come some people are immoral?
No, you had a basic moral sense simply because your parents' DNA wired their brains for moral behavior and you inherited their genes.
That does not explain how two children from the same family can be markedly different in their behaviors. Nature and nurture, maybe both had their effects.

ArtieE

Do you think people are born with a moral compass?
Yes we are. Just google it.
I do not believe that personal happiness is a measure of good. People can be very happy in a material sense because they have all their material needs met yet they are empty inside and have no spiritual values.
I googled "spiritual values" and came up with "The values of truth, righteousness, peace, love and non-violence". Are you seriously claiming that to value truth, righteousness, peace, love and non-violence you need to believe in a god or religion or be "spiritual" whatever that means?
The problem with society is that personal happiness is the goal. That leads to selfishness which is the root of all evil.
My personal happiness depends on living in a healthy society. So obviously I do my best to help keep my society healthy. We call that behaving morally. Evolution and natural selection even hard-wired our brains to have a running start at knowing the difference between moral and immoral behavior.
If our brains are wired for morality how come some people are immoral?
You may have noticed that we all have different DNA building different bodies and brains?
That does not explain how two children from the same family can be markedly different in their behaviors. Nature and nurture, maybe both had their effects.
Maybe. You just have to get it into your head that we are born with a moral compass hard-wired into our brains.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Yes we are. Just google it.
I guess that some people have a broken compass. :rolleyes:
I googled "spiritual values" and came up with "The values of truth, righteousness, peace, love and non-violence". Are you seriously claiming that to value truth, righteousness, peace, love and non-violence you need to believe in a god or religion or be "spiritual" whatever that means?
No, I never claimed that one has to believe in God or religion in order to have spiritual values. Just as many atheists have spiritual values a believers.
My personal happiness depends on living in a healthy society. So obviously I do my best to help keep my society healthy. We call that behaving morally. Evolution and natural selection even hard-wired our brains to have a running start at knowing the difference between moral and immoral behavior.
To care about others in society is a spiritual value.
Maybe. You just have to get it into your head that we are born with a moral compass hard-wired into our brains.
Even if that is true, some people’s wiring got messed up. :(

ArtieE

I guess that some people have a broken compass. :rolleyes:
Sure. If there's something wrong with the DNA people may be born with a broken body or a broken brain with a broken compass. Or their compass may get broken because of injury or disease or severe mental trauma.
To care about others in society is a spiritual value.
The word "spiritual" is redundant. We care about others in society simply because societies where people cared about others fared better than other societies, produced more offspring with the same attitude and we are their descendants.
Even if that is true, some people’s wiring got messed up. :(
Yes... :(

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Sure. If there's something wrong with the DNA people may be born with a broken body or a broken brain with a broken compass. Or their compass may get broken because of injury or disease or severe mental trauma.
That is true, but there is more to it.
The word "spiritual" is redundant. We care about others in society simply because societies where people cared about others fared better than other societies, produced more offspring with the same attitude and we are their descendants.
That is true, but there is more to it.