• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Flying Spaghetti Monster, solipsism and absurdism

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
1) I’ve never seen a likeness of FSM (sauce be upon him) with a mask.
2) Have you spent much time in the rural Midwest? Or seen the Senate chamber bowing down to him? Looks like a declaration of religion to me.

1) how about a mask with an FSM?
ur,mask_three_quarter,tall_portrait,750x1000.jpg

2) Thank goodness, no

MNoBody

Disclaimer:
If you really don't like the meaningless, absurd and so on, don't read on. If you then choose to make a complaint in a post that it is absurd, then that is your problem and not mine.

If I have to choose a organized, real religion, I would choose The Flying Spaghetti Monster and treat it as real and then make up my own subjective interpretation to fit me.
We all do that as for how we deal with reality in practice. Including all the different sects of the believers in truth. Religious as well as non-religious. So for the absurd as both solipsism in all its variants and absurdism I can do the same. I subjectively choose how to make sense of reality and the apparent truth is that it is real absurd to some of the other members here. I get that, but here is the explanation with cultural science:
All unreal beliefs have real consequences.

I have just tested that and as along as my unreal beliefs apparently work(real consequences, whether that really is), I have figured out, that apparently I am still a part of reality.
How do I know that? Well, the members of the forum, who know, what reality really is, keep telling me in effect, that I don't understand the real reality, because my beliefs are in effect with truth really absurd.
But for them to answer me, requires that I am either a part of the real reality or that I really exist as really not existing in reality. I have been told so for over 20 years now, that I really don't understand reality and to me, that qualifies for some sort of evidence that I am a part of the real reality, otherwise how can they answer?
Yeah, I know. It is absurd that unreal beliefs can have real consequences, but the joke is that you are apparently looking at it now. So is that real?

So for you how ever you in effect believe, that you know the truth, I don't and that works fine for me. And I hope it works for you to believe in the truth.
So if you have to use the truth in answering me, I will just do it differently. You don't have to agree with me and I hope your life works for you, but you might want to learn to accept that even the truth has a limit. That also goes for proof, evidence, reason, logic, objectivity and all the rest. In effect the falsification of that everything is real according to the model of the really real, is that, I do the unreal and I can do that, because I have learned to do it. The unreal has to be real, otherwise you wouldn't know it.
So here it is with cultural science: The word "real" doesn't really have an objective referent, just like God or truth and what not. Even reality doesn't have an objective referent.

Regards
Mikkel
was just reading this before i logged in:
"We have always held that the key to evolution lies in the creative portion of the brain.
Some people will say that they are inherently uncreative,
however I want to point out that everyone is creative in “some” way;
it’s just that the creative potential in some people is more [or otherwise] developed than in others.
Everyone has that part of their brain, and this leads me to the point of this paragraph;
I think that the most powerful weapon we have to increase our magickal ability is creative innovation."
To believe any one thing is to automatically disbelieve its opposite
- in fact, belief as a magickal thing in itself isn't so much noteworthy as it is (as McKenna puts it)
a poverty of language.
What is the difference between Zeus & Jesus,
the talk show on channel three & the talk show on channel six, Andromeda and Sirius?
Sure, switching from Xtianity to Satanism in a day would be a nice trick to play on your friends,
but what of the internal self?
Even a child may feign belief in anything at all to the point that it becomes true (to the mind)
- though, when Everything is True, the message at large decrypts itself,
and the whole of the mess of experience may be seen as the Tao it is truly composed of.
(The realization of the mind’s kaleidoscope,
that is, as switching from one "belief sphere" to another
does not make a previous "truth" any less true
based on the current inhabited sphere of any sort of condensed belief structure.
If anything, you're fooling yourself into thinking that any & all belief isn't the exact same thing to begin with
- And that's quite a liberating thing to realize -
that every perceived sphere is not actually in constant conflict with each other,
[they are inventions; thought-machines]
and they may be taken in as a whole, viewed from the standpoint of a man on the moon observing the earth.)

ecco

Veteran Member
And i dont see any countries granting trump religious status
2) Have you spent much time in the rural Midwest? Or seen the Senate chamber bowing down to him? Looks like a declaration of religion to me.

Since President Donald Trump’s election in 2016, some religious and political leaders have pondered God’s role in his rise to power. Trump’s former energy secretary Rick Perry has said the president is “here at this chosen time because God ordained it.” Evangelist Franklin Graham has said that “God was behind the last election.”

Jesusism AKA Christianity wasn't much of a religion during Jesus' lifetime.

I think people believing irrational things their leaders say is a sign of religiosity.

Like the woman who, when asked why she wasn't wearing a mask at an indoor Trump rally replied: I trust my President.

Clara Tea

Theists believe that scientists will destroy faith, and that they have wacky ideas that they call theories with no basis in reality. Any attempt to apply science to religion gets posts moved out of most religious forums and into physics forums. Theists remain blissfully uninformed. I believe that science is true, and that it doesn't seem to interfere with religion, as long as the religious are willing to slightly alter their thinking.

Mass is made of trapped energy. Some physicist claim that there is also a glue that holds it together (made of gluons and quarks). Scientists have determined that gluons and quarks are not point particles, but elongated (strings?). I claim that gluons and quarks are merely oscillations of energy that bond matter. There are two schools of thought in quantum mechanics (chromo-dynamics (subatomic particles) and electrodynamics (photons and electromagnetic waves)). Each of those two theories explains "some" of the things that we observe, but none explains all. I claim that the subatomic world is likely a mixture of subatomic particles (trapped electromagnetic waves) and electromagnetic waves that are not trapped within particles (such as gluons and quarks). Pair production happens when an electromagnetic wave makes a particle and antiparticle (such as an electron and positron pair). Annihilation happens when a particle and its antiparticle collide to produce pure energy. Oddly, we are in a real matter (not real and antimatter) universe.

Noting that subatomic particles are made of energy, and that energy is oscillating, the wave function (also called state function because it describes the position, energy, and other state of the particle) is complex. Complex means that it has both real and imaginary components. The imaginary component, to me, indicates temporary energy storage (like the complex math to describe reactive electrical components, such as capacitors and inductors, and even more bizarre components derived from Kuroda's Identities).

Some feel that imaginary parts of the calculation don't exist in reality. Hence, this uses science to address your assertions (about reality) directly.

The probability of finding an electron at a particular location and at a particular energy is obtained by multiplying the wave function by its complex conjugate (thereby eliminating the imaginary component). Thus, a complex wave function produces a real probability of finding a subatomic particle.

The Heisenberg Uncertainty principle, using the Robertson-Shaw inequality, derives a limit of probability. It asserts that if we know more about position, we know less about energy. It is based on the idea that bouncing light off of a particle changes the energy of the particle. That is, if we look at a particle we move it or change it. One requirement of the Heisenberg Uncertainty principle is that the particles must be random and, as the Einstein-Podowski-Rosen (EPR) paradox proved, they must also be statistically independent.

EPR argues that a row of spin 1 particles broken in half would have a random partial spin of top halves, and the bottom half, added to the top half would be 1. So each spin 1 particle, split apart, would be sum to 1. The top row would be random, and the bottom row would be random, but the top is statistically dependent on the bottom row, so would not be guided by the Heisenberg Uncertainty principle.

The Correspondence Principle says that any theory of the small world of quantum mechanics must correspond to the same math as the large world (as size and distance is increased). So, the weird world of quantum mechanics, which is totally dependent on probability, merges with the big world that we experience. In the large world, Newton could calculate precisely how long it takes for an apple to fall from a tree and hit someone's head. In the small world, that speed is a probability calculation, and sometimes it is faster, and sometimes it is slower.

You assert that we can't sense unreal things in a real world. I counter-assert that we can sense consequences of them.

We cannot speculate or we will have to believe in Santa and Fred Flintstone. Belief has be to proven, peer reviewed, and tested.

Some theists set out to scientifically prove religion. But, their science is corrupted by the drive to prove their points (prove religion is true). A real scientist avoids bias and merely seeks the truth. When confronted with the unknown, some scientists wildly speculate (for example, some speculate that there is something called Dark Energy, and so far no one has found, that is responsible for the metric of the universe accelerating and expanding).