• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Flying Spaghetti Monster, solipsism and absurdism

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
It is as real as any other religion, just because most government dont recognise it as a religion for tax breaks. It is recognised as a religion in at least 3 countries that i am aware of
No dear. Christianity has actual believers that Jesus is God. Judaism has actual believers that God gave the Torah to Israel through Moses. Hinduism as actual believers in the gods, karma, and the rest. But the FSM has no believers. None. Not even one.

The fact that some countries accept it as a religion just shows how silly some governments can be.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
The problem is, the Flying Spaghetti Monster is not a real religion. For something to be a genuine religion, it must have believers. People who sign up for FSM don't actually believe in any FSM. Rather, they are atheists who use the FSM to mock religion.

Yes, but so what. If I had to choose a theistic religion, that would be the one for me. And no, I am not an atheist. Now get this. If I did believe in it, it would be real. That is how real works for religion as a form of metaphysics. If you believe in it, it is real. That also include all strong positive metaphysical positions include the non-idealistic one.

That is what it requires. The belief in it. Now some non-religious and religious people will claim they know. But they can't all be right. And if you look closer they all do the same.
I do accept all beliefs systems as that and don't judge any as wrong including me. I accept that this is how it works. I am just in practice an agnostic and like to point out there have so far been no positive objective evidence for any of them, including the non-religious ones.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
No dear. Christianity has actual believers that Jesus is God. Judaism has actual believers that God gave the Torah to Israel through Moses. Hinduism as actual believers in the gods, karma, and the rest. But the FSM has no believers. None. Not even one.

The fact that some countries accept it as a religion just shows how silly some governments can be.

Do you think that makes a difference to the laws of 3 differnt countries?

And of course there are countries that dont recognise christianity

Interestingly there are Christians on here who do not believe jc is god .

And i will add the biblical edicts about judging others

The fact is pastafarianism is recognised by both countries and people as a religion and no amount of "no dear" is going to chance that

PureX

Veteran Member
I consider the "flying spaghetti monster" analogy as it relates to theism the way I equate white men wearing black face-paint and behaving like ignoramuses to racial bigotry. It's just a very childish attempt at slandering theists via insulting "mimicry". No one who's perspective matters would be impressed by it.

IAMinyou

No, that is a belief. There is a minimum of 2 minds involved, you and the rest. That the rest is more than one mind, requires that God is fair or that you are not in a certain variant of a Boltzmann Brain universe.
(1) All truth is relative to a certain limited standpoint.
(2) All claims about what objective reality really is, other than being different than you is a belief.

There is ONE with all MINDS connected to that ONE but you have no idea what the ONE is.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I consider the "flying spaghetti monster" analogy as it relates to theism the way I equate white men wearing black face-paint and behaving like ignoramuses to racial bigotry. It's just a very childish attempt at slandering theists via insulting "mimicry". No one who's perspective matters would be impressed by it.

Would you say then that christianity is insulting mimicry of Judaism?

Or that islam is insulting mimicry of Christianity?

PureX

Veteran Member
Would you say then that christianity is insulting mimicry of Judaism?

Or that islam is insulting mimicry of Christianity?
No. And I can't even think of an example that you might be referring to. Do you think Christians are only pretending to be religious to slander religious Jews? Or that Muslims are only pretending to be Muslims to insult Christians?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Interestingly there are Christians on here who do not believe jc is god .
Look, I don't like getting involved in Christian v. Christian debates, but you should really check into what standard orthodox (not referring to EO) Christianity is.

ChristineM

Premium Member
No. And I can't even think of an example that you might be referring to. Do you think Christians are only pretending to be religious to slander religious Jews? Or that Muslims are only pretending to be Muslims to insult Christians?

I am sure you can't

Well yes i do think.

When christianity began and even today there are Jews who consider christianity an insult to Judaism.

And i know from these pages that a great many Christians consider islam a false religion.

Do you know all pastafarians are pretending? I know 2 and their faith is as meaningful to them as Christianity is to some Christians

ChristineM

Premium Member
Look, I don't like getting involved in Christian v. Christian debates, but you should really check into what standard orthodox (not referring to EO) Christianity is.

Look yourself. You got yourself i to this debate. And who cares how christianity sees itself? I don't l!

What i do care about is that you deny other human beings their faith becase you dont like it

ChristineM

Premium Member
That, or their lying about not pretending.
That means nothing from someone who thinks faith is fiction.

:facepalm:

In your own vane. Why should i believe you?

What has my belief in religion got to do with other peoples faith?

Ahh, i get it, you have nothing you can argue with so blame the atheist. Says so much.

PureX

Veteran Member
:facepalm:

In your own vane. Why should i believe you?

What has my belief in religion got to do with other peoples faith?

Ahh, i get it, you have nothing you can argue with so blame the atheist. Says so much.
You're really bad at this adversarial style of discourse. Honestly. Maybe you should try a more poetic/metaphorical approach. Remember that old Star Trek episode where Kirk had to learn how to speak to the aliens using mythical-metaphorical phrases? Maybe something like that would suit your thought patterns, better. :)

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
So here it is with cultural science: The word "real" doesn't really have an objective referent, just like God or truth and what not. Even reality doesn't have an objective referent.

It seems to me that you are doing some conflating of:

- semantics
- solipsism
- FSM

I really wish you hadn't dragged the FSM into this, it seems that you're mostly arguing for solipsism, no?

ChristineM

Premium Member
You're really bad at this adversarial style of discourse. Honestly. Maybe you should try a more poetic/metaphorical approach. Remember that old Star Trek episode where Kirk had to learn how to speak to the aliens using mythical-metaphorical phrases? Maybe something like that would suit your thought patterns, better. :)

Adversarial? You are the one denying the faith of people you have no comprehension of.

And so you fall back on sarcasm and fail even with that , how sad