• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Flood & Worldwide Festivals of the Dead — the connection.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
enough water onto the surface of the earth to cover mountains.....

Where are you going with this? If you say "Mount Everest" , I'm going to be so disappointed with you, as much as we've discussed this!

The Flood actually brought on the Ice Age, and created the Permafrost. This catastrophic event explains why we find such well-preserved organic matter.

There's no agreement among scientists in explaining these facts.

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
Genesis 7:21 Genesis 7:22
Where are you going with this? If you say "Mount Everest" , I'm going to be so disappointed with you, as much as we've discussed this!

The Flood actually brought on the Ice Age, and created the Permafrost. This catastrophic event explains why we find such well-preserved organic matter.

No one has ever shown that Mount Everest was not there for millions of years and is only recent. That is a belief not based on any evidence and it is a contrived belief in order sustain belief in the global flood.

There is no evidence that the flood is the source of any ice age. The evidence does not support that belief.

Once again, you are using the "controversy in science means that personal belief not based on evidence is the answer" card. Really?

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Don't you equate evolution with Hitler and villainous political regimes of the past?

you know, honestly, I don't recall any (JW) article on that. Not from us. I'll check.

BTW, as much as we've talked, you should know the extent evolution has played in the development of species! it's substantial.

but it has limits . Drosophila experiments and others reveal it.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Once again:

The evidence presented on that website were counterarguments for YEC views. They are not ours(JW's).

So it does not apply. Do you understand the strawman?

I do not believe the Flood 'laid down' strata! (It did cut through many)

I'm getting weary of repeating that.
Did you read all 21 counter-arguments?
Correct me of im wrong, but I dont think all 21 referred exclusively to YEC arguments.

So if you've managed to point out 1 that doesn't apply you only have a further 20 to sort through.

In my opinion.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Uncalled for, my friend.
Not at all. Scientifically that site rates a zero.

If you want to claim to be doing science there is a question that you need to answer:

What test could possibly refute my ideas? If you cannot answer that question you do not even understand your own ideas. Often believers in myths call "strawman" when people refute their nonsense. Technically it cannot be one since the people making the claims leave them incomplete. That requires others to finish them for believers in myth. Don't complain if you refuse to do your homework and when others do it for you it refutes your beliefs. You only have yourselves to blame for that.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
you know, honestly, I don't recall any (JW) article on that. Not from us. I'll check.

BTW, as much as we've talked, you should know the extent evolution has played in the development of species! it's substantial.

but it has limits . Drosophila experiments and others reveal it.
Evolution does have limits. But the limits are not at some imaginary barrier at the family level.

What limits do experiments with Drosophila reveal? What others and what experiments?

Experiments with Drosophila I have read about all show that evolution does not result in Drosophila laying eggs that dogs hatch from. That is a limitation.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Once again:

The evidence presented on that website were counterarguments for YEC views. They are not ours(JW's).

So it does not apply. Do you understand the strawman?

I do not believe the Flood 'laid down' strata! (It did cut through many)

I'm getting weary of repeating that.
Sorry, but the flood could not cut through various strata either. You forgot the picture that I shared with you more than once.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Here is a quote from a page on evolution. https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/101983129
"Of course, having first ruled out the possibility that all have the same Designer and Maker, they cannot accept that as an alternative explanation."

This statement is false. There is no way for science to be used to rule out God. There is no means to include God using science either.

Here is another quote. "Evolutionists now admit that the fossil record does not support the theories they have long championed." This statement is also false.

There was so much false information that needs to be corrected that the only rational conclusion is that it is not a source of scientific information. Reading it would teach you nothing about biology.

While, I am not attempting to insult you or any JW. It is a simple fact that regarding science the bias is to support the views of JW and not the facts of science or the natural world.
One minor correction. Science can rule out specific versions of God. In fact if God cannot lie then the Flat Earth, YEC, and OEC versions can all be ruled out. That only corrects the beliefs of some Christians. It does not refute the general "Christian God". But if one insists that God made a Flat Earth, then that version can be refuted.

What is amazing is that creationists constantly make the mistake of thinking that if their personal version of God has been refuted that all versions have been refuted. That clearly is not the case.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

Again, if you do not provide a model you force others to do so for you. Would you trust me to do that? Until you have a testable, falsifiable model all that you have is wild handwaving and no evidence at all.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
While, I am not attempting to insult you or any JW. It is a simple fact that regarding science the bias is to support the views of JW and not the facts of science or the natural world.

No...just the Bible in context.

"the natural world." Just wondering , people on here, quite a few really, claiming to speak with their 'spirit guides' or their 'gods'..... Are they all faking it, or delusional in some way?

You yourself, said your belief in God was from "personal experience" ( not asking what that was).....

Are these personal experiences, "the natural world"?

There's more going on than the sum of what we see. Naturalism, by its very definition, can't see it.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
One minor correction. Science can rule out specific versions of God. In fact if God cannot lie then the Flat Earth, YEC, and OEC versions can all be ruled out. That only corrects the beliefs of some Christians. It does not refute the general "Christian God". But if one insists that God made a Flat Earth, then that version can be refuted.

What is amazing is that creationists constantly make the mistake of thinking that if their personal version of God has been refuted that all versions have been refuted. That clearly is not the case.
That would be more of an addendum than a correction. It rules out specific claims made regarding God.

Clearly, there is a limitation in the interpretation of the Bible and Genesis cannot be interpreted literally. That does not rule out God.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
No...just the Bible in context.

"the natural world." Just wondering , people on here, quite a few really, claiming to speak with their 'spirit guides' or their 'gods'..... Are they all faking it, or delusional in some way?

You yourself, said your belief in God was from "personal experience" ( not asking what that was).....

Are these personal experiences, "the natural world"?

There's more going on than the sum of what we see. Naturalism, by its very definition, can't see it.
But therein is a problem. We cannot determine if a person's subjective experience is real or imagined or delusion. We can observe the natural world. We can study it using science. The methods can be communicated and repeated by others. Data and conclusions can be examined by others.

If someone tells me they saw a spirit on the street corner, how would I verify that? How do I know if someone talked to God or they just believe they talked to God and didn't?

You claim that interpretation is everything, yet you deny interpretations of the Bible that differ from your own and for no other reason than they differ from your own.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
@Hockeycowboy , I have yet to see your post that has a test for your beliefs? This is a key part of science. Testing one's beliefs. Here is a simple test that I thought of while making dinner tonight:

I am sure that you are aware of the recurrent laryngeal nerve. It is often used to explain certain aspects of evolution. If a certain bodily structure "works" it will not disappear. Instead new uses for it will be found as a population evolves. When our ancestors were fish in the seas the nerve that became the recurrent laryngeal nerve had a specific purpose and that nerve still exists today. It followed a fairly direct route from the brain to the gills. It was a very important nerve so it was not lost, it was merely repurposed. But unfortunately as our organs began to move in our ancient ancestors the nerve was on the wrong side of the hear.
And since evolution builds on what already exists our ancestors could not throw it way and start afresh. So we have this nerve that takes a long route from our head around the heart and then back up to the larynx. There is a perfectly logical evolutionary explanation for it.

If life was created there is no reason that a length saving direct route could not have been made.

So now for the test:

If evolution was false we could find some tetrapod that had a direct route of this nerve. There would be no evolutionary explanation of that since such instant rewiring is not possible in evolution. If life was created there is no reason that such a critter could not exist.

So every new species of tetrapods is a test of evolution. The theory could fail, if it was wrong. Yet it never does.

To even have evidence you would need a test on this order.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
@ChristineM , @nPeace, @Bree, @Vee
I think most posters on RF, believe the Flood is myth: not based on evidence. But a few here accept the Flood as a literal, global event.

Anyway, let me get to these “Festivals of the Dead”. Is there a link? I’m sure that people would consider the Global Flood as described in the Bible and in many myths, whether believed or not, as unique in killing more humans than any other Event. It would be the greatest cause for remembering the dead!

The following is from “Worship of the Dead” by John Garnier, published 1904, containing many references, which are included here...block parentheses [] I’ve added, to clarify, and bold type & italics are mine, to highlight. (I didn’t highlight the ubiquitous nature of the Flood myths):

“Chapter 1
Introductory — the Deluge

There are some modern writers who have represented the various religious superstitions and idolatries of different nations as being the spontaneous invention of each race, and the natural and uniform outcome of human nature in a state of barbarism. This is not the case; the theory is wholly opposed to the conclusions of those who have most fully studied the subject. The works of [George Stanley] Faber, Sir W[illiam] Jones, [Dr. Richard] Pococke, [Alexander] Hislop, Sir [John] G[ardner] Wilkinson, [George] Rawlinson and others have indisputably proved the connection and identity of the religious systems of nations most remote from each other, showing that, not merely Egyptians, Chaldeans, Phoenicians, Greeks and Romans, but also the Hindus, the Buddhists of China and of Thibet, the Goths, Anglo-Saxons, Druids, Mexicans and Peruvians, the aborigines of Australia, and even the savages of the South Sea Islands *A*, must have all derived their religious ideas from a common source and a common centre. Everywhere we find the most startling coincidences in rites, ceremonies, customs, traditions, and in the names and relations of their respective gods and goddesses. [***This is discussed in detail in this book***]

————————-

*A*Mr [John Dunmore] Lang quotes Sir Stamford Raffles and [William] Marsden as stating that there was one original language common to the South Sea islands and to Sumatra, New Guinea, Madagascar and the Philippines. He says the language of the Polynesians has also a remarkable resemblance to that of the Chinese, and that their religious customs are similar to those of the Mexicans, Peruvians, Phoenicians and Egyptians, the name even of their Sun god being “Ra”, as in Peru and Egypt. (Lang’s “Polynesia,” pp. 19,20,41-44. See also Taylor’s “New Zealand” and Gill’s “Myths of the South Pacific”.)

————————-

There is no more convincing evidence of this fact than the common tradition in all these nations of the Deluge, as collected by Mr. Faber, and more lately by the additional traditions of the Mandan and other north American Indians, in Mr. [George] Catlin’s interesting work on those tribes *B*, showing that, with the exception of the Negro races, there is hardly a nation or tribe in the world which does not possess a tradition of the destruction of the human race by a flood; and the details of these traditions are too exactly in accordance with each other to permit the suggestion, which some have made, that they refer to different local floods in each case. Now Mr. Faber has exhaustively shown in his three folio volumes that the mythologies of all the ancient nations are interwoven with the events of the Deluge and are explained by it, thereby proving that they are all based on a common principle, and must have been derived from a common source.

—————————-

*B*Faber, Pagan Idolatry, book iii. chap. vi. vol. ii.; Catlin, “North American Indians”. A general summary of these traditions has also been collected by Sir H. H. Howorth in his work, “The Mammoth and the Flood.”

————————-

The force of this argument is illustrated by the fact of the observance of a great festival of the dead in commemoration of the event, not only by nations more or less in communication with each other, but by others widely separated, both by the ocean and by centuries of time. This festival is, moreover, held by all on or about the very day on which, according to the Mosaic account, the Deluge took place, viz., “The 17th day of the second month” — the month nearly corresponding with our November. [See Genesis 7:11]

The Jewish civil year commenced at the autumnal equinox, or about September 20, and the 17th day of the second month would therefore correspond with the fifth day of our month of November; but as the festival was originally, as in Egypt, preceded by three days’ mourning, it appears to have been put back three days in countries where one day’s festival only was observed, and to have been more generally kept on November 2nd.

Mr. [Robert Grant] Halliburton says : “The festival of the dead, or feast of ancestors, is now, or was, formally observed at or near the beginning of November by the Peruvians, the Hindus, the Pacific Islanders, the people of the Tonga Islands, the Australians, the ancient Persians, the ancient Egyptians and the northern nations of Europe, and continued for three days among the Japanese, the Hindus, the Australians, the ancient Romans and the ancient Egyptians.

“Wherever the Roman Catholic Church exists, solemn Mass for All Souls is said on the 2nd November, and on that day the gay Parisians, exchanging the boulevard for the cemetery, lunch at the graves of their relatives and hold unconsciously their “feast of ancestors” on the very same day that savages in far-distant quarters of the globe observe, in a similar manner, their festival of the dead. Even the Church of England, which rejects All Souls as based on a belief in purgatory and as being a creation of Popery, clings devoutly to All Saints.” *C* Again, with reference to the Peruvian festival of the dead, Mr. Haliburton writes:—“The month in which it occurs, says Rivers, is called ‘Aya Marca,’ from ‘Aya,’ a ‘corpse,’ and ‘Marca,’ ‘carrying in arms,’ because they celebrated the solemn festival of the dead with tears, lugubrious songs and plaintive music, and it was customary to visit the tombs of relations, and to leave in them food and drink. if it is worthy of remark that this feast was celebrated among the ancient Peruvians at the same time and on the same day that Christians solemnize their commemoration of the dead —2nd November.” *D*

—————————-

*C* ”The Year of the Pleiades”, by R. G. Haliburton;—from “Life and Work at the Great Pyramid”, by [Charles] Piazzi Smith(sic)[Smyth], vol.ii, pp. 372-373

*D* Ibid, p.388

[Related to this topic, “the Corsicans slaughtered oxen at the grave, giving the meat to their neighbours in honour of the dead. Bread, wine and meat were thus distributed, whilst in modern times bread and wine are served to the poor in this manner on the anniversary of the death of those who can afford to do so, and particularly on the feast of the dead, November 1st.”

CHAPTER XIII IN MEMORIAM - Page 14 - Cemeteries & Crematoria Association. ]

—————————-

Again, speaking of the festival of agriculture and death in Persia, Mr. Haliburton says, “The month of November was formally called in Persia ‘the month of the angel of death.’ In spite of the calendar having been changed, the festival took place at the same time as in Peru;” and he adds that a similar festival of agriculture and death, in the beginning of November, takes place in Ceylon.**(Ibid, p.390)** A like ceremony was held in November among the people of the Tonga islands, with prayers for their deceased relatives.**(Ibid, p.387)**

The Egyptians begin their year at the same time as the Jews, and on the 17th day of their second month commenced their solemn mourning for Osiris, the Lord of the Tombs, **(Ibid, pp.382-391)** who was fabled to have been shut up in the deep for one year like Noah, and whose supposed resurrection and reappearance was celebrated with rejoicing. *E* The death of the god was the great event in Paganism, as we shall explain later, and all the religious rites were made to centre round it.
——————-

*E* [Alexander] Hislop, “[The] Two Babylons,” p.136; Plutarch, “De Iside et Osiride,” vol.ii, p.336 D.
——————-

In Mexico “the festival of the dead was held on the 17th November, and was regulated by the Pleiades. It began at sunset, and at midnight, as that constellation approached the zenith, a human victim, says Prescott, was offered up to avert the dread calamity which they believed impended over the human race. They had a tradition that, at that time, the world had been previously destroyed, and they dreaded that a similar catastrophe at the end of a cycle would annihilate the human race.”
———————-
**Haliburton, from “Life and Work,” vol.ii, p.390**
———————-

In Rome the festival of the dead, or “Feralia,” called “Dii Manes,” or “the day of the spirits of the dead,” commenced on February 17th, the second month of their year. In more ancient times, the “festival of the spirits,” believed to be the souls of deceased friends, was called “Lemuria,” and was held on May 11th. This also was the 17th day of the second month of the year at that time; for the old Latin year commenced April 1st, which month consisted of 36 days, so that May 11th was exactly the 17th day of the second month. **Ibid, p.396, and Hales, “Chronology,” vol.i, p.44**”

This is all I have so far.

If one can be objective about this, laying their bias aside, the force of this evidence alone leads to several conclusions..... one is that Noah (or ?) recorded the date & passed it on to his offspring.

More to come...
The author John Garnier wrote, as well as other books:

The Worship of the Dead: Or, the Origin and Nature of Pagan Idolatry and Its Bearing Upon the Early History of Egypt and Babylonia

Israel In Britain

The Great Pyramid: Its Builder and Its Prophecy; With a Review of the Corresponding Prophecies of Scripture Relating to Coming Events and the Approaching End of the Age
The last two are plainly hooey, but back around 1900 fashionable hooey, and I'm going to take a great deal more persuading than is available in the OP before I accept that the first book is not hooey too.

Start with demonstrating the factual accuracy of the claim that all these Festivals of the Dead occur at all, let alone occur at the same time of year.

Second, there was never a Genesis flood. Had there been, we'd find a single flood layer all over all continents and islands and the ocean floor and dated in the last 10,000 years; and we'd find a genetic bottleneck in every species of land animal and all the bottlenecks would date to that same date; and we'd find a billion cubic miles of water over and above the water the presently on the earth. For the Flood to be true, all those things must exist, but of course none of them does.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
OK, Christine, I’m going to finish this, but I want you to know this... the first words of the first paragraph says, “Young-Earth creationists”......
That doesn’t apply to us (JW’s). We believe in an old Earth. (I think it’s a tactic: if geologists “marry” the two ideas together, then by debunking YEC concepts (which is easy to do), they think they’ve *automatically* debunked the Flood. Equivocating the two, doesn’t work. We don’t play that game.

But I’ll read it, to see what arguments actually apply.

(I think I’ve mentioned this before, but maybe not to you.)

Geology has bo notion of different religious beliefs.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
You may not realize it, but there are synagogues that accept as a Jew someone whose mother is not Jewish but the father is.
Yes, they are not Orthodox synagogues and that is still a controversial philosophy.

It doesn't matter. It's an old wives tale, that once a Jew, always a Jew.
No, it's Halacha. If you convert to or are born into Judaism, you are a Jew. If you are a woman, no matter what religion you practice, your children will be considered Jews as far as Halacha/Jewish Law is concerned. This is how it's always been.

I'll be as gentle as possible with this -- it's a false philosophy.
Great that you think so.

A contrivance of men. I wonder why a person who is a Noahide wouldn't fully convert anyway, but I don't really want to get into that.
Because it's expensive; you often have to move to a Jewish area. You have to buy new stuff. You have to go to a Beit Din and it can often take 2+ years for them to approve you. Some folks simply don't want to because it comes with more mitzvot than they want to or feel they can fulfil. Some folks are married to non-Jews who don't want to convert and a conversion would render their marriages sinful. And so on.

There are ex-Christians, but it seems you are saying that someone who decides he is an atheist or converts to another religion is still Christian.
No, because that's not a Christian doctrine. We're talking about Judaism, not Christianity.

You don't want to take other people's opinions for it so why insist that once a Jew, always a Jew?
Because that's literally what Halacha says and how it works.

OK, give me the name of a book you would refer to in order to learn about the history of the religion written by believers at that time.
Kemetic religion doesn't work like this. There is no book that will tell you this kind of stuff. Most 'books' one comes across are more or less loose collections of texts put together by scribes for particular purposes. They didn't write the history of their religion in the way Abrahamic belief has things written.

More importantly, it's a Pagan religion that doesn't rely on writings. You'd have to do your own research, but if you want you can ask questions. Bear in mind there was never one Kemetic religion; there were a bunch of different theologies and understandings depending on where and when one lived in Kemet at the time. Each province had its own theology. There wasn't one Ancient Egyptian religion.

Last edited:

Colt

@ChristineM , @nPeace, @Bree, @Vee
I think most posters on RF, believe the Flood is myth: not based on evidence. But a few here accept the Flood as a literal, global event.

Anyway, let me get to these “Festivals of the Dead”. Is there a link? I’m sure that people would consider the Global Flood as described in the Bible and in many myths, whether believed or not, as unique in killing more humans than any other Event. It would be the greatest cause for remembering the dead!

The following is from “Worship of the Dead” by John Garnier, published 1904, containing many references, which are included here...block parentheses [] I’ve added, to clarify, and bold type & italics are mine, to highlight. (I didn’t highlight the ubiquitous nature of the Flood myths):

“Chapter 1
Introductory — the Deluge

There are some modern writers who have represented the various religious superstitions and idolatries of different nations as being the spontaneous invention of each race, and the natural and uniform outcome of human nature in a state of barbarism. This is not the case; the theory is wholly opposed to the conclusions of those who have most fully studied the subject. The works of [George Stanley] Faber, Sir W[illiam] Jones, [Dr. Richard] Pococke, [Alexander] Hislop, Sir [John] G[ardner] Wilkinson, [George] Rawlinson and others have indisputably proved the connection and identity of the religious systems of nations most remote from each other, showing that, not merely Egyptians, Chaldeans, Phoenicians, Greeks and Romans, but also the Hindus, the Buddhists of China and of Thibet, the Goths, Anglo-Saxons, Druids, Mexicans and Peruvians, the aborigines of Australia, and even the savages of the South Sea Islands *A*, must have all derived their religious ideas from a common source and a common centre. Everywhere we find the most startling coincidences in rites, ceremonies, customs, traditions, and in the names and relations of their respective gods and goddesses. [***This is discussed in detail in this book***]

————————-

*A*Mr [John Dunmore] Lang quotes Sir Stamford Raffles and [William] Marsden as stating that there was one original language common to the South Sea islands and to Sumatra, New Guinea, Madagascar and the Philippines. He says the language of the Polynesians has also a remarkable resemblance to that of the Chinese, and that their religious customs are similar to those of the Mexicans, Peruvians, Phoenicians and Egyptians, the name even of their Sun god being “Ra”, as in Peru and Egypt. (Lang’s “Polynesia,” pp. 19,20,41-44. See also Taylor’s “New Zealand” and Gill’s “Myths of the South Pacific”.)

————————-

There is no more convincing evidence of this fact than the common tradition in all these nations of the Deluge, as collected by Mr. Faber, and more lately by the additional traditions of the Mandan and other north American Indians, in Mr. [George] Catlin’s interesting work on those tribes *B*, showing that, with the exception of the Negro races, there is hardly a nation or tribe in the world which does not possess a tradition of the destruction of the human race by a flood; and the details of these traditions are too exactly in accordance with each other to permit the suggestion, which some have made, that they refer to different local floods in each case. Now Mr. Faber has exhaustively shown in his three folio volumes that the mythologies of all the ancient nations are interwoven with the events of the Deluge and are explained by it, thereby proving that they are all based on a common principle, and must have been derived from a common source.

—————————-

*B*Faber, Pagan Idolatry, book iii. chap. vi. vol. ii.; Catlin, “North American Indians”. A general summary of these traditions has also been collected by Sir H. H. Howorth in his work, “The Mammoth and the Flood.”

————————-

The force of this argument is illustrated by the fact of the observance of a great festival of the dead in commemoration of the event, not only by nations more or less in communication with each other, but by others widely separated, both by the ocean and by centuries of time. This festival is, moreover, held by all on or about the very day on which, according to the Mosaic account, the Deluge took place, viz., “The 17th day of the second month” — the month nearly corresponding with our November. [See Genesis 7:11]

The Jewish civil year commenced at the autumnal equinox, or about September 20, and the 17th day of the second month would therefore correspond with the fifth day of our month of November; but as the festival was originally, as in Egypt, preceded by three days’ mourning, it appears to have been put back three days in countries where one day’s festival only was observed, and to have been more generally kept on November 2nd.

Mr. [Robert Grant] Halliburton says : “The festival of the dead, or feast of ancestors, is now, or was, formally observed at or near the beginning of November by the Peruvians, the Hindus, the Pacific Islanders, the people of the Tonga Islands, the Australians, the ancient Persians, the ancient Egyptians and the northern nations of Europe, and continued for three days among the Japanese, the Hindus, the Australians, the ancient Romans and the ancient Egyptians.

“Wherever the Roman Catholic Church exists, solemn Mass for All Souls is said on the 2nd November, and on that day the gay Parisians, exchanging the boulevard for the cemetery, lunch at the graves of their relatives and hold unconsciously their “feast of ancestors” on the very same day that savages in far-distant quarters of the globe observe, in a similar manner, their festival of the dead. Even the Church of England, which rejects All Souls as based on a belief in purgatory and as being a creation of Popery, clings devoutly to All Saints.” *C* Again, with reference to the Peruvian festival of the dead, Mr. Haliburton writes:—“The month in which it occurs, says Rivers, is called ‘Aya Marca,’ from ‘Aya,’ a ‘corpse,’ and ‘Marca,’ ‘carrying in arms,’ because they celebrated the solemn festival of the dead with tears, lugubrious songs and plaintive music, and it was customary to visit the tombs of relations, and to leave in them food and drink. if it is worthy of remark that this feast was celebrated among the ancient Peruvians at the same time and on the same day that Christians solemnize their commemoration of the dead —2nd November.” *D*

—————————-

*C* ”The Year of the Pleiades”, by R. G. Haliburton;—from “Life and Work at the Great Pyramid”, by [Charles] Piazzi Smith(sic)[Smyth], vol.ii, pp. 372-373

*D* Ibid, p.388

[Related to this topic, “the Corsicans slaughtered oxen at the grave, giving the meat to their neighbours in honour of the dead. Bread, wine and meat were thus distributed, whilst in modern times bread and wine are served to the poor in this manner on the anniversary of the death of those who can afford to do so, and particularly on the feast of the dead, November 1st.”

CHAPTER XIII IN MEMORIAM - Page 14 - Cemeteries & Crematoria Association. ]

—————————-

Again, speaking of the festival of agriculture and death in Persia, Mr. Haliburton says, “The month of November was formally called in Persia ‘the month of the angel of death.’ In spite of the calendar having been changed, the festival took place at the same time as in Peru;” and he adds that a similar festival of agriculture and death, in the beginning of November, takes place in Ceylon.**(Ibid, p.390)** A like ceremony was held in November among the people of the Tonga islands, with prayers for their deceased relatives.**(Ibid, p.387)**

The Egyptians begin their year at the same time as the Jews, and on the 17th day of their second month commenced their solemn mourning for Osiris, the Lord of the Tombs, **(Ibid, pp.382-391)** who was fabled to have been shut up in the deep for one year like Noah, and whose supposed resurrection and reappearance was celebrated with rejoicing. *E* The death of the god was the great event in Paganism, as we shall explain later, and all the religious rites were made to centre round it.
——————-

*E* [Alexander] Hislop, “[The] Two Babylons,” p.136; Plutarch, “De Iside et Osiride,” vol.ii, p.336 D.
——————-

In Mexico “the festival of the dead was held on the 17th November, and was regulated by the Pleiades. It began at sunset, and at midnight, as that constellation approached the zenith, a human victim, says Prescott, was offered up to avert the dread calamity which they believed impended over the human race. They had a tradition that, at that time, the world had been previously destroyed, and they dreaded that a similar catastrophe at the end of a cycle would annihilate the human race.”
———————-
**Haliburton, from “Life and Work,” vol.ii, p.390**
———————-

In Rome the festival of the dead, or “Feralia,” called “Dii Manes,” or “the day of the spirits of the dead,” commenced on February 17th, the second month of their year. In more ancient times, the “festival of the spirits,” believed to be the souls of deceased friends, was called “Lemuria,” and was held on May 11th. This also was the 17th day of the second month of the year at that time; for the old Latin year commenced April 1st, which month consisted of 36 days, so that May 11th was exactly the 17th day of the second month. **Ibid, p.396, and Hales, “Chronology,” vol.i, p.44**”

This is all I have so far.

If one can be objective about this, laying their bias aside, the force of this evidence alone leads to several conclusions..... one is that Noah (or ?) recorded the date & passed it on to his offspring.

More to come...
Errrm, If there was a global flood as described in the Bible then all those cultures "separated by oceans" that remember a flood.....would have been drown by the flood!

Ironically the only people who remember a global flood happen to be the people who wrote the story which happens to trace their blood lines back to great, great, great.....great grandpa Noah. No other culture on earth seems to remember such a significant ancestor named Noah and his mixed race nieces and nephews.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
No other culture on earth seems to remember such a significant ancestor named Noah and his mixed race nieces and nephews.
I imagine these cultures would have moulded the narrative to suit their own cultures, including name changes and introducing different understandings etc.