• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The flood happened around the younger dryas period

Fredcow9

Theboy
I watched a series of appearances by Graham Hancock on Joe Rogan, one even in which they discuss with Michael Shermer the mounting evidence for a cataclysmic worldwide catastrophe more namely a global flood. Apparently around the younger dryas period they now suspect multiple pieces of an asteroid hit the earth in multiple places at the same time. This is thought to have hit the massive ice sheets in north/south america, europe and asia. North America For example where they have found evidence of these massive glaciers carrying boulders in prarie basin and also point to dry falls as an ancient waterfall that was created by this massive flooding. The thought is that the fragments hitting the earth would warm the earth from their impact and send water debris flying into the atmosphere while also melting massive amounts of ice at the same time. We know this event occurred and Shermer NOW agrees Grant was right (they argued on the joe rogan podcast, checj it out!). This poses problems all over the places though for the conventional model of hunter gathers and our ancestors being below the curve. Clovis first was the longest standing idea in the Americas but this has been proven wrong and its thought millions likely inhabited the amazon for example. largely most thought civilization arose maybe 6 or 7 thousand years ago. Now we have places like gobekli gobekli that confirm mankind has BEEN making complex structures way before thought. They also spoke about the sphinx having rain/water damage.Theres alot of evidence this is a pre flood structure that has been modified many times. Go figure it just happens people lived before some massive cataclysmic flood and it just so happens that the nearest built site of civilization post younger dryas is also in Turkey not far from where Noahs boat happened to land.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
1) Podcast discussions don't constitute reliable scientific evidence. Peer-reviewed studies do.

2) Paragraphing really helps others read your posts more easily. Using it is a courtesy to them and an almost guaranteed way to prevent eye strain.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I watched a series of appearances by Graham Hancock on Joe Rogan, one even in which they discuss with Michael Shermer the mounting evidence for a cataclysmic worldwide catastrophe more namely a global flood. Apparently around the younger dryas period they now suspect multiple pieces of an asteroid hit the earth in multiple places at the same time. This is thought to have hit the massive ice sheets in north/south america, europe and asia. North America For example where they have found evidence of these massive glaciers carrying boulders in prarie basin and also point to dry falls as an ancient waterfall that was created by this massive flooding. The thought is that the fragments hitting the earth would warm the earth from their impact and send water debris flying into the atmosphere while also melting massive amounts of ice at the same time. We know this event occurred and Shermer NOW agrees Grant was right (they argued on the joe rogan podcast, checj it out!). This poses problems all over the places though for the conventional model of hunter gathers and our ancestors being below the curve. Clovis first was the longest standing idea in the Americas but this has been proven wrong and its thought millions likely inhabited the amazon for example. largely most thought civilization arose maybe 6 or 7 thousand years ago. Now we have places like gobekli gobekli that confirm mankind has BEEN making complex structures way before thought. They also spoke about the sphinx having rain/water damage.Theres alot of evidence this is a pre flood structure that has been modified many times. Go figure it just happens people lived before some massive cataclysmic flood and it just so happens that the nearest built site of civilization post younger dryas is also in Turkey not far from where Noahs boat happened to land.
Maybe there has been more then one food and the food of Noah's time was not the first one.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!

I would have loved to read your post and provide counter argument based on geological evidence but walls of text blind me.

exchemist

Veteran Member
There seems to be a lot of different things here. Can you provide a link to something we can read about these claims?

As I understand it there are several hypotheses for what caused the cooling in the Younger Dryas, one of which was indeed some kind of asteroid impact. There were apparently some wetter conditions in some places, but I am not aware anyone has evidence of catastrophic flooding on a wide scale.

The Sphinx is several thousand years younger than the Younger Dryas epoch, so I am not sure why you mention that in this context.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
if an asteroid or multiple pieces of asteroid was enough to displace all the Earth's water to that extreme extent, I can't help but think that would have been an Extinction event rather than a flood.

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
Joe Rogan the comedian?

I am only becoming familiar with Graham Hancock and from what I have learned, he promotes pseudoscience, conspiracy theories and baseless claims.

The evidence of molecular genetics indicates that the ancestors of the majority of Amerind population entered North America about 15,000 to 20,000 years ago and spread there to the southern tip of South America.

Agriculture was developed about 10,000 to 14,000 years ago. Gobeckli Tepe fits with that time frame and is not in defiance of it.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
There has been evidence for floods at different times. North America has evidence of one when the ice age was ending. There's apparent evidence for the Mediterranean basin being flooded and turning into the sea and so forth.

And it's true that cultures all over the world have legends of floods. These legends are quite different. List of flood myths - Wikipedia

But that's the extent of it. There's no evidence that the entire Earth was under water at the same time.

It's possible, for example to speculate that a local flood happened to a group of people and the legends spread around the world. But that's just speculation with nothing to back it up.

tas8831

Joe Rogan the comedian?
Joe Rogan the fringe quack enabler.
I used to watch his youtube channel a bit, but whenever he has fringe types on, he almost NEVER challenges them on their BS. They just get free exposure. Like when he had Kelly Brogan MD on - she is a fringe anti-vax new-agey guru that advocates coffee enemas, hates 'big medicine (says they are just out to make money - yet she charges $4K for initial consults!!). He asked her about the coffee enemas, and I just sat with my mouth agape at how this Harvard trained physician described structures and pathways that DO NOT EXIST in her 'explanation' of the effects. She mentioned that the caffeine gets across the large intestine's wall (false) and stimulates "the parasympathetic nerve bundle" (no such thing) and then "reflexes" to the liver (can't because there is no such nerve) and stimulates a detox. Anyway...

I am only becoming familiar with Graham Hancock and from what I have learned, he promotes pseudoscience, conspiracy theories and baseless claims.
Ah yes - back on topic - saw Hancock on a History Channel show many years ago, a show on Atlantis. He "explained" that I think it was ice build up on the north pole area added so much weight to to the polar crust that it was "pulled down", flooding Atlantis. While 'explaining' this, he drew a diagram, which was basically a circle representing the earth in which he indicated that south was "down" in the direction of the south pole... I guess he didn't know that on a planet, gravity pulls "in.".... Quack.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Joe Rogan the fringe quack enabler.
I used to watch his youtube channel a bit, but whenever he has fringe types on, he almost NEVER challenges them on their BS. They just get free exposure. Like when he had Kelly Brogan MD on - she is a fringe anti-vax new-agey guru that advocates coffee enemas, hates 'big medicine (says they are just out to make money - yet she charges $4K for initial consults!!). He asked her about the coffee enemas, and I just sat with my mouth agape at how this Harvard trained physician described structures and pathways that DO NOT EXIST in her 'explanation' of the effects. She mentioned that the caffeine gets across the large intestine's wall (false) and stimulates "the parasympathetic nerve bundle" (no such thing) and then "reflexes" to the liver (can't because there is no such nerve) and stimulates a detox. Anyway...

Ah yes - back on topic - saw Hancock on a History Channel show many years ago, a show on Atlantis. He "explained" that I think it was ice build up on the north pole area added so much weight to to the polar crust that it was "pulled down", flooding Atlantis. While 'explaining' this, he drew a diagram, which was basically a circle representing the earth in which he indicated that south was "down" in the direction of the south pole... I guess he didn't know that on a planet, gravity pulls "in.".... Quack.
Incredible!

So Joe has discovered what Hovind and other mega-ministers have known for years. The ignorant, gullible and challenged have lots of cash and like to invest heavily in bizarre and baseless claims. The nuttier, the more money they throw.

I do not know Brogan either. Maybe she and Hancock could collaborate. A suborbital coffee enema for the Earth to bring Atlantis back. Call it the Colombian steamer.

Fredcow9

Theboy
Sorry I should have been a bit more orderly with the post :confused:

Here is an article explaining at the time the mounting evidence for multiple impacts around the same time
We Just Got More Evidence a Large Meteorite Smashed Into Earth 12,800 Years Ago

This was the most recent thing to come out
Evidence of Cosmic Impact at Abu Hureyra, Syria at the Younger Dryas Onset (~12.8 ka): High-temperature melting at >2200 °C | Scientific Reports

Hancock is no a pseudo scientist. Many of the things he has co-signed are simply going to undue decades of our understanding of humanity (from a naturalistic perspective anyway). His ideas clovis first were ridiculed for years until the idea was proved bogus. All I’m saying is even if you don’t like the man well look at whatever evidence hes putting up and judge that.

I don’t agree with everything he says but it’s extremely obvious entire careers of archaeologist will be wasted if this is all the case. Zahi Hawass is a prime example of how academia is treating it

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
I watched a series of appearances by Graham Hancock on Joe Rogan, one even in which they discuss with Michael Shermer the mounting evidence for a cataclysmic worldwide catastrophe more namely a global flood.
The cultural Global Flood Myth is closely connected to soon after the global Stories of Creation and if taking this story in the terrestrial context, we of course are dealing with a time scale much older than the about 12.000 BC in Younger Dryas.

When dealing with ancient myths, one of course have to be familiar with the mythical language and it´s connected symbolism as imagined by humans all over the world.

The Milky Way "foamy" white contours are imagined and symbolized, amongst other terms, as a "River in the Sky" and this human imagined "river" runs all around the Earth UP in the Sky and not ON the Earth.

Of course this significant celestial Milky Way structure was notised all over the world which explains the origin of the Global Flood Myth.

This mythical story of the celestial imagery was slowly forgotten and if modern scholars and laymen have no ideas of the ancient celestial context in myths, they have no other options but to take the celestial myth to count for geographical events.

The mythical Flood ran/runs OVER and AROUND the Earth and not ON the Earth.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member

Here is an article explaining at the time the mounting evidence for multiple impacts around the same time

Evidence of Cosmic Impact at Abu Hureyra, Syria at the Younger Dryas Onset (~12.8 ka): High-temperature melting at >2200 °C | Scientific Reports

Hancock is no a pseudo scientist. Many of the things he has co-signed are simply going to undue decades of our understanding of humanity (from a naturalistic perspective anyway). His ideas clovis first were ridiculed for years until the idea was proved bogus. All I’m saying is even if you don’t like the man well look at whatever evidence hes putting up and judge that.

I don’t agree with everything he says but it’s extremely obvious entire careers of archaeologist will be wasted if this is all the case. Zahi Hawass is a prime example of how academia is treating it
THanks for these references.

They support the hypothesis that the Younger Dryas cooling may have been caused by a meteorite or comet strike, possibly involving an initial disintegration and then a trail of fragments hitting the earth, or causing a series of airbursts, over a range of several thousand km. However neither of these says anything about a flood. Do you have any references for that idea?

Also, what do you mean by careers of archaeologists being wasted?

(By the way, I'm amused that Hancock's "clovis" idea was ridiculed before being proved bogus.)

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member

From my perspective, I do not know Hancock at all. I have only recently become aware of him. However, what I have seen of his work, falls in the realm of pseudoscience. The evidence, does not support his claims.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
younger dryas - rapid cooling climate and lots of wind, some extremely high winds. Not much on rain

ecco

Veteran Member
I can't help but think that would have been an Extinction event rather than a flood.

But, but, but, The Flood was an extinction event. (well, almost). Apparently two of everything didn't go extinct and that was enough to repopulate everything.

Hmm...did Noah's Grandchildren mate with Noah's grandchildren?

ecco

Veteran Member
Here is an assertion from your OP...
They also spoke about the sphinx having rain/water damage.Theres alot of evidence this is a pre flood structure that has been modified many times. Go figure it just happens people lived before some massive cataclysmic flood and it just so happens that the nearest built site of civilization post younger dryas is also in Turkey not far from where Noahs boat happened to land.

Here you posted a link to an article that you used to support your assertion...

The problem is that the article in no way supports your assertion of a massive cataclysmic flood.

This tactic is often used by people trying to push an agenda:
  • Post some silly, unfounded assertions.
  • Post some science that allegedly supports the assertion.
  • Hem and haw when asked how the scientific article supports the assertion.

ecco

Veteran Member
The cultural Global Flood Myth is closely connected to soon after the global Stories of Creation and if taking this story in the terrestrial context, we of course are dealing with a time scale much older than the about 12.000 BC in Younger Dryas.

When dealing with ancient myths, one of course have to be familiar with the mythical language and it´s connected symbolism as imagined by humans all over the world.

The Milky Way "foamy" white contours are imagined and symbolized, amongst other terms, as a "River in the Sky" and this human imagined "river" runs all around the Earth UP in the Sky and not ON the Earth.

Of course this significant celestial Milky Way structure was notised all over the world which explains the origin of the Global Flood Myth.

This mythical story of the celestial imagery was slowly forgotten and if modern scholars and laymen have no ideas of the ancient celestial context in myths, they have no other options but to take the celestial myth to count for geographical events.

The Flood ran/runs OVER and AROUND the Earth and not ON the Earth.

Who, besides you, made a connection between the "foamy white contours" of the Milky Way and any global flood?

tas8831

Incredible!

So Joe has discovered what Hovind and other mega-ministers have known for years. The ignorant, gullible and challenged have lots of cash and like to invest heavily in bizarre and baseless claims. The nuttier, the more money they throw.
Yup. When I explained Brogan's nonsense in the comments of one the Rogan clips, a couple of Brogan's fanboys 'attacked' me for daring to question her authority and such - even after I linked to anatomical diagrams and the like showing that what she claimed is impossible.
I do not know Brogan either. Maybe she and Hancock could collaborate. A suborbital coffee enema for the Earth to bring Atlantis back. Call it the Colombian steamer.
Ha!