• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The flaws in Intelligent design

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
To clarify....

"Creationism" in general is a belief that a god or gods played some sort of role in the history of the universe. There are several forms of creationism. For example, within Christianity there is young-earth creationism, old-earth creationism, day-age creationism, progressive creationism, ID creationism, and theistic evolution. Other religions also have their versions of creationism, such as Hindu creationism (which IIRC has something to do with creative cycles).
I am amazed at how little this guy knows about the subject he wants to attack others about.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Nobody can believe in God and at the same time deny intelligent design.

Don't lie to yourself. And don't lie to others.
If by intelligent design, you mean the intelligent design movement, then yes, they can. Belief in God is belief in an intelligent designer if you want to use that term, but that is not the same as showing that God exists through the use of science.

What would you believe if the intelligent design movement were correct and they showed that the creator was Allah or an alien? How would you justify a continued belief in the Bible?

I am not worried about these doors opening, because the movement cannot achieve the goal of demonstrating design, let alone who a designer might be. But by claiming design, they open the door up to any designer and we are right back where we started with belief as the only distinguishing characteristic.

Forever_Catholic

When I was a kid I wanted to be closer to God, so I prayed to God, for god to reveal itself. God never revealed itself to me. I read the Bible cover to cover, that made me stop being a Christian.
I don't deny gods existence, every theist has failed to provide objective evidence that a god exist. All they have is subjective experiences from their mind.
Try again, and don't refer to God as an "it." Try thinking of God as your creator, who loves you. Approach Him with trust instead of a requirement for objective evidence. And it's okay to pray for understanding.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Try again, and don't refer to God as an "it." Try thinking of God as your creator, who loves you. Approach Him with trust instead of a requirement for objective evidence. And it's okay to pray for understanding.
Aren't you claiming that the objective evidence for God exists?

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
We do not get the impression you have studied very much,
after seeing all the mistakes you make on simple basic things.
I did not get that impression either, but creationists are good at giving that impression and then demonstrating it to be a fact.

Timothy Spurlin

If you go by the Bible god created only Adam and Eve. Your parents created you when they had sex.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Ha. Be not amazed. Those who know the subject realize
they are to date no known facts contrary to ToE.

Even if they feel it must be wrong they dont want to look
stupid with creoguments like that entropy thing.
I should not say 'amazed' or even 'surprised' at the approach to science that I see taken so regularly by creationists. I think what amazes me really is that it never changes despite it never working.

Audie

Veteran Member
I did not get that impression either, but creationists are good at giving that impression and then demonstrating it to be a fact.

Not to argue but, no, they are not good at it. They may fool themselves,
or fellow-creos but someone who is educatrd?

No more than i would fool the fans if I tried to narrate for a football game.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
*** Mod Post ***

Please be reminded of rule 1:

1. Personal Comments About Members and Staff
Personal attacks and name-calling, whether direct or in the third person, are strictly prohibited on the forums. Critique each other's ideas all you want, but under no circumstances personally attack each other or the staff. Quoting a member's post in a separate/new thread without their permission to challenge or belittle them, or harassing staff members for performing moderation duties, will also be considered a personal attack.

dianaiad

If you can't use the scientific method it is not science. Tell me, what reasonable test could refute the existence of this designer? If you can't answer that question it is not science by definition.

Uhmn....I don't see how one could refute the idea of an intelligent designer, no.

However, one can certainly go about studying the design. One would use, of course, the same methods that someone who did not believe in an ultimate 'Intelligent Designer" would use. Whether there is an "Intelligent Designer" (God) or not will always end up being kicked down the road, and is a matter of subjective belief.

[QUOTE="Subduction Zone, post: 5983644, member: 63191At least it looks as if you know that when IDists talk about a 'designer' they are really trying to sneak God into the equation.[/QUOTE]

Of course they are. An intelligent designer of the universe would be God...by definition.