• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The flaws in Intelligent design

DNA is your objective evidence for a god?

Yes, DNA is my objective evidence for God.

NDE'S and ESP are subjective experiences coming from the mind. What objective evidence do you have for NDE'S and ESP?

How is objectivity measured in the first place? By MINDS.

Theres some NDEs where people wer out of body and saw things that they then verified after returning to there body. Thats basically ESP at the same time of an NDE.

How is that not objective?

I don't need faith to be an Atheist. Your the one that needs faith to believe in a God.

Oh thats where your factually wrong. Im not stating an opinion on this. This is a fact. But, here it is, EVERYONE has faith.....in something. If you dont have faith in God, then you are having faith in something else. What is that something else? Its the alternative to God, which is that chance and time and perhaps nothing made the universe. Or mayby you have faith the universe was always here.

Either way, THATS YOUR faith. And yes, it IS faith.

What objective evidence do you have for a designer?

DNA

How do you tell what is designed and what evolve?

Information and order and complexity is designed. Evolved is adaptations and natural selection.....or survival of the fittest.

Thats how you tell the difference.

Faith isn't evidence for a God or anything else. OTOH faith as a belief does has evidence in the form of the Bible, passed on stories, and self claimed experiences, nothing scientific. None of them are scientific and should not be confused with simple beliefs.
I've asked several people that believe in God if they also believe in Zeus. The answer is always no. When asked why the number 1 answer is because Zeus isn't mentioned in the bible.
Fact is people believe in God because of the bible. Even if they claim the Bible is inherent, not taken literally, has flaws, or what ever, they accept and believe in God simply because of the bible they are so quick to discredit on its truthfulness and accuracy. That alone shows me their faith is either weak or misguided.
Either you believe in God or you don't. If you believe in God, you believe in the same God creationists do so don't try to save face by saying you accept science because there is not one tinsy peice of evidence in science to make you believe in a God.
If you are a person of faith, dig deep and re-examine your faith and the reasons why you believe in God. I think you will find it all boils down to a book written by men called the bible that you claim you don't take inherent or literally anyway.

I believe in the bible, but ill let you in on a little secret (not really). I believe in God because i see evidence of design. Simple.

No, you did not. You stated that both ID and Evolution were each a hypothesis and you are in error, in both cases.

ID is a religious view, not a hypothesis, Evolution is a scientific theory thus ranking above a "law."

You erroneously implied that a "law" is the penultimate rank.

Go your way in wisdom.

Is a religious view not a hypotheses? Both are explanations.

Thats just samantics.

We Never Know

No Slack
I believe in the bible, but ill let you in on a little secret (not really). I believe in God because i see evidence of design. Simple.

Is a rock designed? Is death designed. Is disease designed. Is evil designed.
By your logic it all is because God designed it all.
Why did God design disease?
Why did God design Death?
Why did God design Evil?
Why did God design cancer?
Has it ever crossed your mind every thing bad and evil in the world, your God designed it?

We Never Know

No Slack
When it comes to God, people believe in the same God because of the bible. There are 2 kinds of people.
They are grouped as..
A: those that believe in God
B: those that don't believe in God
Which are you? And why?

Is a rock designed? Is death designed. Is disease designed. Is evil designed.
By your logic it all is because God designed it all.
Why did God design disease?
Why did God design Death?
Why did God design Evil?
Why did God design cancer?
Has it ever crossed your mind every thing bad and evil in the world, your God designed it?

Yes, God designed it all.

Why? Theres different reasons why. But before i tell you them. Let me state this: there seams to be a consistent ploy on the part of atheists to try and divert attention AWAY from the evidence for design and then put it on the nature of the designer himself. Well, you can do that all you want, but, that does not make the evidence for design itself go away.

You may not like the designer, but design itself does not go away based on your dislike of how the designer is.

Now, ill answer your questions.

Design deals with the physical evidence.

The nature of the designer goes into philosophy. As in defining the designer.

Why the designer does certain things goes into theology.

Ok, NOW ill answer your questions.

Death and disease are a result of the designer seperating himself from man, atleast in part, due to his corruption.

There, simple, wasnt it?

When it comes to God, people believe in the same God because of the bible. There are 2 kinds of people.
They are grouped as..
Which are you? And why?

Theres people that believe in God without the bible too. Not everyone believes the bible.

I believe in God, i also happen to believe the bible too.

We Never Know

No Slack
When it comes to the God, people believe in the same God because of the bible. There are 2 kinds of people.
They are grouped as..
Which are you? And why?
Theres people that believe in God without the bible too. Not everyone believes the bible.

Lol. Without the Bible, a book written by men, you would not know of the God you believe in.

We Never Know

No Slack
Yes, God designed it all.

Why? Theres different reasons why. But before i tell you them. Let me state this: there seams to be a consistent ploy on the part of atheists to try and divert attention AWAY from the evidence for design and then put it on the nature of the designer himself. Well, you can do that all you want, but, that does not make the evidence for design itself go away.

You may not like the designer, but design itself does not go away based on your dislike of how the designer is.

Now, ill answer your questions.

Design deals with the physical evidence.

The nature of the designer goes into philosophy. As in defining the designer.

Why the designer does certain things goes into theology.

Ok, NOW ill answer your questions.

Death and disease are a result of the designer seperating himself from man, atleast in part, due to his corruption.

There, simple, wasnt it?

Then your God giving cancer and disease to innocent children is for what reason, to make them suffer? Dude think it through. A book written by men has you duped. But I will gladly take a look at any scientific evidence you can produce for your God.

We Never Know

No Slack

Where is heaven and hell located? I bet you don't know because your bible doesn't tell you. Heads up, eternity isn't a location.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
You have an inappropriately high estimation of your own opinion. **** off.
Interesting, I have not even offered my own opinion, all I have done is offer effective evidence that has pointed out the folly of your opinion. Do you respond like an adult and engage on the issues? No, you excoriate me and swear ... cute ... but no cigar, you remain wrong as wrong can be.
That is not a matter that needs examining by 'science.'

....and all the "intelligent design' folks I know certainly use the same scientific method their atheist colleagues do, as they should, to examine the universe as it is. As for the 'design,' good grief, is that the most important thing to you, to somehow disprove any possible idea that the universe WAS designed, or at least kicked off, by a Creator? What difference does it make to those who are looking at black holes, or supernovas, or star nurseries, whether these things were created by Somone/Something, or not? They work the same either way.

What difference does it make to the biologist who examines how corn grows in a specific climate, if that particular corn stalk was planted, deposited by a passing crow, mislaid by a squirrel, or just dropped from a parent plant? The method of observing the growth is the same no matter what. The corn doesn't grow differently if a farmer plants it instead of the flippin' squirrel.you

The way we examine the path of a wild fire and the damage it causes (or the way the plant life requires periodic fires to reproduce and be healthy) does not change because it might have been started by a badly made campfire....or a lightning strike.

Do get over this. Scientists do NOT have to deny God in order to BE scientists....and that is how you are making science a religion, by insisting upon specific beliefs that must be held by scientists in order to qualify as scientists.....that have nothing at all to do with science.
No IDers do not do science the same way. They claim that their beliefs are scientific hypotheses even though their pronouncments are not couched in falsifiable terms. Thus they do not do science but rather just preach a religious sermon whilst pretending to deliver a rational scientific lecture. This fools those with insufficient knowledge and perspecity to know the difference. My ten year old neighbor is knowledgeable enough to know that you can not see a black hole and she can even spell "event horizon." It does matter how a seed is planted. Fairy tales like the bible do not provide a base that can be built on to make accurate and dependable predictions. Science does a much better job than prophecy.
Here's a good one you might want to start with: https://www.amazon.com/Darwins-Doubt-Explosive-Origin-Intelligent/dp/0062071483 A New York Times best seller with tons of great reviews. Buy it. It will answer many of your questions
Read it ... a major fail on all fronts. Here's an accurate review that parallels my conclusions well: Skepticblog » Stephen Meyer’s Fumbling Bumbling Amateur Cambrian Follies

Is a religious view not a hypotheses? Both are explanations.

Thats just samantics.
As explained above a religious view is most definitely NOT A HYPOTHESIS, lacking as it does a framework for falsification. As Sir Karl Popper observed in Conjectures and Refutations: "... the criterion of the scientific status of a theory is its falsifiability, or refutability, or testability."

Last edited:

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Since order cannot arise out of chaos by unguided matter and energies according to the Second Law of Thermodynamics, then anything as complex and perfect even as a single cell of your body cannot exist and function but as a result of intelligent design.

If that is true, then "designers" are actively at work when plants grow, when a seed becomes a tree, when wind becomes a hurricane,...

The earth is not a closed system and receives constant input of workable energy from the sun.

So how could anything as complex and perfect as the universe and life on earth not require an intelligent designer?
When you start with false premises and also assume your conclusion, your arguments won't be having much impact...

This statement assumes that the tiny human mind can comprehend or test the infinite intellect and will of the omniscient God and that human behavior can impose anything on the natural world comparable to designing, creating, and sustaining it.

Then how could you, or anyone else, possibly know anything about this supposed god?

Absolutely false. Genetic information for each species pertains to that species. Complex proteins and their activity are specific to the creatures they were designed for.

Even your pope disagrees with you.
Catholicism's official stance is that evolution happened.

And today, Darwin's whole theory is on artificial life support

Au contraire.
I don't know what you hope to accomplish by saying such obviously false things.

There is no question whatever that God has been a constant presence and influence in our world since He created it. That's a very good thing -- not hard to accept at all.

Especially not if that is what you already believed coming in.......................

Timothy Spurlin

This is wrong. Faith can be misplaced, though.... like the German peoples' faith in Hitler. But it was based on evidence, on what he did for them prior to WWII

I've just posted many evidences detailing what my faith is built on.

Is your faith built on the bible? The bible is the claim not the evidence.

Timothy Spurlin

Yes, DNA is my objective evidence for God.

How is objectivity measured in the first place? By MINDS.

Theres some NDEs where people wer out of body and saw things that they then verified after returning to there body. Thats basically ESP at the same time of an NDE.

How is that not objective?

Oh thats where your factually wrong. Im not stating an opinion on this. This is a fact. But, here it is, EVERYONE has faith.....in something. If you dont have faith in God, then you are having faith in something else. What is that something else? Its the alternative to God, which is that chance and time and perhaps nothing made the universe. Or mayby you have faith the universe was always here.

Either way, THATS YOUR faith. And yes, it IS faith.

DNA

Information and order and complexity is designed. Evolved is adaptations and natural selection.....or survival of the fittest.

Thats how you tell the difference.

Can NDE'S and ESP be tested for objectively?
Can you provide objective evidence that your god made DNA?
Atheism doesn't require faith to believe there is no god. Theist have failed to provide objective evidence of a god.

Etritonakin

During my interaction on the forum with reference to evolution I keep coming across what I thought were odd responses when the argument went to intelligent design. After asking for evidence that clearly shows intelligent design as apposed to the natural creative forces of nature, I finally looked at length at the arguments on the sites dedicated to intelligent design. Despite extensive articles with drawn out scientific jargon I could not find the evidence to overcome two unescapable flaws with intelligent design which are clearly never addressed. First I have included sections from two web sites that describe the argument for intelligent design which seem to be representative to be clear about the argument. Then I list two flaws I see for feedback on this concept.

1. From the Intelligent design and evolution awareness center - ideacenter.org.

By Casey Luskin

“Ways Designers Act When Designing (Observations):"

(1) " Intelligent agents think with an "end goal" in mind, allowing them to solve complex problems by taking many parts and arranging them in intricate patterns that perform a specific function (e.g. complex and specified information):"

(2) "Intelligent agents can rapidly infuse large amounts of information into systems:"

(3) "Intelligent agents re-use functional components that work over and over in different systems (e.g., wheels for cars and airplanes):"

(4) " Intelligent agents typically create functional things (although we may sometimes think something is functionless, not realizing its true function):"

"Predictions of Design (Hypothesis):"

(1) " Natural structures will be found that contain many parts arranged in intricate patterns that perform a specific function (e.g. complex and specified information)"

(2) "Forms containing large amounts of novel information will appear in the fossil record suddenly and without similar precursors."

(3) "Convergence will occur routinely. That is, genes and other functional parts will be re-used in different and unrelated organisms."

(4) " Much so-called "junk DNA" will turn out to perform valuable functions."

"Examining the Evidence (Experiment and Conclusion):"

(1) " Language-based codes can be revealed by seeking to understand the workings of genetics and inheritance. High levels of specified complexity and irreducibly complexity are detected in biological systems through theoretical analysis, computer simulations and calculations"

(2) "The fossil record shows that species often appear abruptly without similar precursors".

(3) "Similar parts are commonly found in widely different organisms. Many genes and functional parts not distributed in a manner predicted by ancestry, and are often found in clearly unrelated organisms."

(4) " There have been numerous discoveries of functionality for "junk-DNA." Examples include recently discovered surprised functionality in some pseudogenes, microRNAs, introns, LINE and ALU elements.”

From evolutionnews.org

1. “ID is not merely a negative argument against evolution"

"The fires problem with the critics definition is that it frames ID as meagerly a negative argument against evolution. In fact, ID offers a strong positive argument based on findings in nature the type of information and complexity that, in our experience, comes from intelligence alone."

2. “ID is not a theory about the designer or the supernatural”

"The second problem with the critics definition of ID is that it suggests the theory is focus on studying the designer. The claim is that it specifically invokes supernatural forces or a deity. But Id is not focused on studying the actual intelligent cause responsible for life, but rather studies natural objects to determine whether they bear an informational signature indicating an intelligent cause. All ID does is infer an intelligent cause behind the origins of life and of the cosmos. Id does not seek to determine the nature of identity of that cause. “

The two flaws that I see in the argument

1. Despite the clear attempts to separate the study of “intelligent design” from the “intelligent designer”, you still cannot escape from the problem of the existence of the intelligent designer so no wonder all the argument avoids this primary aspect of their argument. Just because something is complex does not mean it has to be made by an intelligent designer nor is there clearly any goal orientation in our universe that can be proven. These two aspects are aspects of human behavior which we are imposing on the natural world.

2. The second flaw has to do with the change in life over time. This requires two possibilities with an intelligent design. 1. All of the necessary genetic information for all forms of life and all complex proteins and their activity was present in the first form of life thus all life has this information available and only uses aspects of it or 2. The intelligent designer must be actively involved with rearranging the genetic material all of the time to create the new complex proteins that could not form naturally according to intelligent design experts. Ironically even Darwin realized (even without all of our current knowledge) that it would be hard for people to accept that god would be present in our world creating new species or even new variations.

Would like thoughts about the arguments for intelligent design and what flaws exist in the argument.

If something is truly inescapable -it is the truth.

So... Unless I am missing something....

The creative forces of "nature" -in its broadest sense -are a prerequisite of intelligent design of any kind.

It is not a problem for the non-religious to believe that our intelligent design capabilities developed naturally.

It IS seemingly a problem for both religious and non-religious people to believe that "God" developed naturally.... or that the sum of all things first developed self-awareness, identity, creativity, etc.... before being able to create the universe and all therein (all from that which "always" simply existed)

....unless you realize it would not be a problem at all. Mysterious -yes, but not problematic as all that is obviously simply exists and changes form and function.

Such a God would not only be perfectly natural, but a perfectly natural and obvious explanation for that which is extremely indicative of an intelligent designer.

Not everything CAN develop naturally -UNTIL DEVELOPED BY a naturally-occurring creative designer. The development of such is a necessary intermediate stage.

We see this to be true on our level -and our level is the product of that which has always existed being arranged in a complex way. As we are dealing with the same stuff at any level of complexity, the same would be true on any level -even the all-inclusive.

Some have a problem with "God" (original) being necessary for man's (mass-produced initially-complex state) existence.... and some have a problem with God not deciding that he exist.

Last edited:

dianaiad

You tried to claim that there was a scientific basis to ID. Now that it is apparent that you were wrong you are making excuses and falsely accusing others of your sins.

I never claimed or implied that one has to deny God to be a scientist. One must merely follow the scientific method.

You do not seem to understand that if you want to call ID scientific that you must properly define your terms. You failed to do that. If you want to call it scientific you must think of a test that it could conceivably fail. If not you only have hand waving and ad hoc explanations.

Learn to read. I have very clearly stated that one cannot prove or disprove the idea of God (the "Intelligent Designer" ) through scientific, empiric means. One can examine the DESIGN that way, though, whether it was 'designed' deliberately or not.