1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured The flaws in Intelligent design

Discussion in 'Evolution Vs. Creationism' started by Wild Fox, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Hockeycowboy

Hockeycowboy Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,978
    Religion:
    Christian
    This is wrong. Faith can be misplaced, though.... like the German peoples' faith in Hitler. But it was based on evidence, on what he did for them prior to WWII

I've just posted many evidences detailing what my faith is built on.

2. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +19,201
    Religion:
    Atheist
    The Bible was written much more closely over a five hundred year period than over a 1,500 year period. Your site is basing that claim on myths in the Bible rather than on evidence. Your site disqualifies itself from the discussion with such blatant flaws.

3. Hockeycowboy

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,978
    Religion:
    Christian
    You don't want to learn anything, huh? That's OK, others might.

4. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +19,201
    Religion:
    Atheist
    It is too bad that you could not find any reliable evidence.

5. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +19,201
    Religion:
    Atheist
    You have that backwards. I do want to learn. If what you claim is true you should be able to do better than biased propaganda sites.

6. Hockeycowboy

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,978
    Religion:
    Christian
    The Silver Scrolls refute your assertion.

Archaeology is constantly validating the Scriptures.

Gotta love it!

7. Hockeycowboy

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,978
    Religion:
    Christian
    You mean like those promoting Ernst Haekle's embryos?

Lol.

I suppose if you read that Hitler quoted from Einstein, you'd ignore Einstein from then on?

The value in any information comes not from who uses it, but from the information, itself.

8. Dan From Smithville

Dan From Smithville Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,720
    Religion:
    Christian (Methodist)
    You posted a bunch of claims with no real support. So, yes, you posted what faith is built on. Oddly, not in the way you probably intended.

9. Ellen Brown

Ellen Brown Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,050
    You have an inappropriately high estimation of your own opinion. **** off.

10. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +19,201
    Religion:
    Atheist
    How so? Do you know the dates of those? They support my claims.

11. dianaiad

dianaiad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,319
    Religion:
    LDS (the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day saints)
    That is not a matter that needs examining by 'science.'

....and all the "intelligent design' folks I know certainly use the same scientific method their atheist colleagues do, as they should, to examine the universe as it is. As for the 'design,' good grief, is that the most important thing to you, to somehow disprove any possible idea that the universe WAS designed, or at least kicked off, by a Creator? What difference does it make to those who are looking at black holes, or supernovas, or star nurseries, whether these things were created by Somone/Something, or not? They work the same either way.

What difference does it make to the biologist who examines how corn grows in a specific climate, if that particular corn stalk was planted, deposited by a passing crow, mislaid by a squirrel, or just dropped from a parent plant? The method of observing the growth is the same no matter what. The corn doesn't grow differently if a farmer plants it instead of the flippin' squirrel.

The way we examine the path of a wild fire and the damage it causes (or the way the plant life requires periodic fires to reproduce and be healthy) does not change because it might have been started by a badly made campfire....or a lightning strike.

Do get over this. Scientists do NOT have to deny God in order to BE scientists....and that is how you are making science a religion, by insisting upon specific beliefs that must be held by scientists in order to qualify as scientists.....that have nothing at all to do with science.

12. Dan From Smithville

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,720
    Religion:
    Christian (Methodist)
    Faith in people is not the same as faith in something you cannot see and even then, it is clear that people faith can end up being wrong, because it is based on poor evidence.

13. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +19,201
    Religion:
    Atheist
    You tried to claim that there was a scientific basis to ID. Now that it is apparent that you were wrong you are making excuses and falsely accusing others of your sins.

I never claimed or implied that one has to deny God to be a scientist. One must merely follow the scientific method.

You do not seem to understand that if you want to call ID scientific that you must properly define your terms. You failed to do that. If you want to call it scientific you must think of a test that it could conceivably fail. If not you only have hand waving and ad hoc explanations.

#273 Subduction Zone, Feb 17, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  14. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +19,201
    Religion:
    Atheist
    @Hockeycowboy the Silver Scrolls, the oldest biblical writing found, dates to about 586 BC. The Bible appears to have been written from the mid 600's BC to roughly 100 AD, much closer to my time range than yours.

Ketef Hinnom - Wikipedia

15. Dan From Smithville

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,720
    Religion:
    Christian (Methodist)
    That is the underlying argument I have. You can believe in God and accept and understand nature through science. What I cannot do is claim a divine cause for something, because I do not have the divine evidence for that something. I cannot tell others to believe and then follow it up with the offer of evidence that is either never given or proves not to be evidence for my claims at all.

All I can say with confidence is that I believe. I have reasons for believing, but they are personal experiences that I cannot validate to others. I do not have the arrogance to demand that others believe just because I do. I accept that others do not believe and I understand their reasoning. It is often very logical and based on evidence. Faith is not a logic or evidence-based expression. Not in the same sense as scientific understanding is based on logic and evidence.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Dan From Smithville

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,720
    Religion:
    Christian (Methodist)
    The scrolls show put a date on certain scripture, but that does not validate the scriptures. You are working with a false dichotomy that great age of the text demonstrates validity of the content.

17. Forever_Catholic

Forever_Catholic Active Member

Ratings:
    +147
    Religion:
    See above
  18. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +19,201
    Religion:
    Atheist
  19. Dan From Smithville

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,720
    Religion:
    Christian (Methodist)
    Thank you. I have read it. There was nothing there that would cause me to reject the current theory of evolution or show that there is design in nature and indirectly a designer. It is a giant God of the gaps argument. We do not know all the details of the Cambrian explosion so therefore a designer. Not much of an argument really. Nothing new.

I was expecting a list of serious works considering you claimed what could easily be described as a list of such works. Darwin's Black Box is another and it too, fails.

• Like Like x 1
  20. We Never Know

We Never Know Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,120
    Religion:
    It exists
    Faith isn't evidence for a God or anything else. OTOH faith as a belief does has evidence in the form of the Bible, passed on stories, and self claimed experiences, nothing scientific. None of them are scientific and should not be confused with simple beliefs.
    I've asked several people that believe in God if they also believe in Zeus. The answer is always no. When asked why the number 1 answer is because Zeus isn't mentioned in the bible.
    Fact is people believe in God because of the bible. Even if they claim the Bible is inherent, not taken literally, has flaws, or what ever, they accept and believe in God simply because of the bible they are so quick to discredit on its truthfulness and accuracy. That alone shows me their faith is either weak or misguided.
    Either you believe in God or you don't. If you believe in God, you believe in the same God creationists do so don't try to save face by saying you accept science because there is not one tinsy peice of evidence in science to make you believe in a God.
    If you are a person of faith, dig deep and re-examine your faith and the reasons why you believe in God. I think you will find it all boils down to a book written by men called the bible that you claim you don't take inherent or literally anyway.