• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The five pillars

stevecanuck

To the best of my recollection, nowhere in the qur'an does it actually list "the five pillars" as such, just as it does not list the 99 names of God. Is there a hadith in which Mohamed mentions the pillars in terms of there being the five that we all know?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
To the best of my recollection, nowhere in the qur'an does it actually list "the five pillars" as such, just as it does not list the 99 names of God. Is there a hadith in which Mohamed mentions the pillars in terms of there being the five that we all know?

Yes, there are hadiths about the Five Pillars:

On the authority of Abdullah, the son of Umar ibn al-Khattab (ra), who said:

I heard the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) say, "Islam has been built on five [pillars]: testifying that there is no deity worthy of worship except Allah and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah, establishing the salah (prayer), paying the zakat (obligatory charity), making the hajj (pilgrimage) to the House, and fasting in Ramadhan." [Bukhari & Muslim]

Hadith 3, 40 Hadith an-Nawawi - Forty Hadith of an-Nawawi - Sunnah.com - Sayings and Teachings of Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه و سلم)

The Hadith of Jibreel is a central part of Islam in Sunni doctrine:

In Sunni Islam, the Hadith of Gabriel (ḥadīth Jibrīl) is the single most important hadith (report on the words and actions of the Islamic prophet Muhammad), of the last prophet of Islam. Its narrative contains the best summary of the core of Islam: Islām (إسلام), which is described with the "Five Pillars of Islam," Īmān (إيمان), which is described with the "Six Articles of Faith," Iḥsān (إحسان), or "doing what is beautiful," and al-Sā’ah (الساعة), or The Hour, which is not described, but signs are given. This hadith is found in both the Ṣaḥīḥ al-Bukhārī and the Ṣaḥīḥ Muslim collections and is known to express the religion of Islam in a nutshell.[1]

Muslim scholars named this hadith "the Hadith of Gabriel" (ḥadīth Jibrīl) because the archangel Gabriel appears to Muhammad and those around him in a human form.

Hadith of Gabriel - Wikipedia

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
The Five Pillars of Islam (Declaration of the Islamic Faith)

In order to enter into the fold of Islam i.e. to be Muslim, one has to know, believe, accept totally and sincerely apply the five basic principles (Pillars) on which Islam is based: Ibn Umar narrated that the Messenger of Allah – Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H) said: Islam is based on the following five pillars (principles).
  1. Bearing witness that there is no God but Allah and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah
  2. Observance of Prayer
  3. Paying Zakat
  4. Fasting during Ramadhan
  5. Pilgrimage to the house of Allah
Islam | Islam Ahmadiyya
Right?

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
The Five Pillars of Islam (Declaration of the Islamic Faith)

In order to enter into the fold of Islam i.e. to be Muslim, one has to know, believe, accept totally and sincerely apply the five basic principles (Pillars) on which Islam is based: Ibn Umar narrated that the Messenger of Allah – Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H) said: Islam is based on the following five pillars (principles).
  1. Bearing witness that there is no God but Allah and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah
  2. Observance of Prayer
  3. Paying Zakat
  4. Fasting during Ramadhan
  5. Pilgrimage to the house of Allah
Islam | Islam Ahmadiyya
Right?
We also have six Articles of Faith :
  1. Unity of God
  2. His Angels
  3. His Books
  4. His Prophets
  5. The Last Day