• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The financial burden of social obligation

Vee

Premium Member
When I was a kid, in the small village where I grew up there were only a few traditions. In February/March it was Carnival (kids normally made they own customs with mom’s help and the ones better off bought a plastic mask with an elastic strap), in April there was Easter, there was Christmas with gifts exchanged between family and closer friends and a meal the 24th of December and individual birthdays which back then included a small party at home with a homemade cake. That was it and it was already burdensome enough for some.

But the commercial world wasn’t making enough money for their taste so they revamped everything and imported a few more. Now there is valentine’s day, Halloween, black Friday, etc. Some are even celebrating Thanksgiving, which has nothing to do with the European culture.

People are being bombarded with advertisements for all sorts of events and all that costs a lot of money, money we are told we need to spend if we want to have a good time, money we are told we need to spend if we want to show people our love, as if love had anything to do with how much money you spend on stuff.

Traditions have become a financial burden and in a world full of debt, that’s the last thing people need. But people are so concerned about what others think that they are willing to go into more debt to fulfill they social obligations.

The guy I work with just moved and he had to spend a lot of money recently to buy the things he needed for his apartment. He was just telling me that he hates Christmas and he doesn’t know how he’s going to make it this year. I suggested he could tell his family and friends that this year he can’t exchange gifts and he’ll just have dinner with them. He didn’t like my idea. What would they think of him??? It’s Christmas – people expect gifts.

I’m glad I stopped all that nonsense years ago and today I only buy gifts for people I genuinely care about if I want and when I can afford them. Personally, I much prefer to be surprised than to get a gift just because it’s whatever date and people feel they have an obligation to get me something.

We live in a buy, buy, buy culture and people are relentlessly pressured to spend money they don’t have in stuff nobody needs, to keep a certain image. How sad is it that we keep talking about being ourselves but in practice, make sure you follow the crowd because if you don’t do exactly like everyone else you might lose the “cool” status, people might not like you so much anymore.

Wouldn’t it be better to spend time with the people we love? There are so many nice things people can do together that don’t feel like a social obligation and don’t cost a fortune.

I think kids would appreciate more time and attention from their parents instead of a new phone to replace the one they got last year, which BTW still works just fine.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I always hated Christmas.

296b391baa5baca76196f2757e474ad6--grinch-christmas-christmas-humor.jpg

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I agree with you. There are signs that the culture is starting to move a bit. We're seeing more and more articles and images extolling "experiences not things". I'm all for that.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Frankly, as a non-Christian I don't think there's anything intrinsically wrong with Christmas or celebrating it, but like with so many other things, some abuse it by spending more than they can handle. This can be adjusted if people are honest with themselves and with others by saying that they simply can't afford such exchanges. We've done this on my wife's side of the family since two of her brothers are low-income.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I agree with you. There are signs that the culture is starting to move a bit. We're seeing more and more articles and images extolling "experiences not things". I'm all for that.
I not only hate the gift giving,
I also prefer to avoid "experiences".

Last edited:

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
When I was a kid, in the small village where I grew up there were only a few traditions. In February/March it was Carnival (kids normally made they own customs with mom’s help and the ones better off bought a plastic mask with an elastic strap), in April there was Easter, there was Christmas with gifts exchanged between family and closer friends and a meal the 24th of December and individual birthdays which back then included a small party at home with a homemade cake. That was it and it was already burdensome enough for some.

But the commercial world wasn’t making enough money for their taste so they revamped everything and imported a few more. Now there is valentine’s day, Halloween, black Friday, etc. Some are even celebrating Thanksgiving, which has nothing to do with the European culture.

People are being bombarded with advertisements for all sorts of events and all that costs a lot of money, money we are told we need to spend if we want to have a good time, money we are told we need to spend if we want to show people our love, as if love had anything to do with how much money you spend on stuff.

Traditions have become a financial burden and in a world full of debt, that’s the last thing people need. But people are so concerned about what others think that they are willing to go into more debt to fulfill they social obligations.

The guy I work with just moved and he had to spend a lot of money recently to buy the things he needed for his apartment. He was just telling me that he hates Christmas and he doesn’t know how he’s going to make it this year. I suggested he could tell his family and friends that this year he can’t exchange gifts and he’ll just have dinner with them. He didn’t like my idea. What would they think of him??? It’s Christmas – people expect gifts.

I’m glad I stopped all that nonsense years ago and today I only buy gifts for people I genuinely care about if I want and when I can afford them. Personally, I much prefer to be surprised than to get a gift just because it’s whatever date and people feel they have an obligation to get me something.

We live in a buy, buy, buy culture and people are relentlessly pressured to spend money they don’t have in stuff nobody needs, to keep a certain image. How sad is it that we keep talking about being ourselves but in practice, make sure you follow the crowd because if you don’t do exactly like everyone else you might lose the “cool” status, people might not like you so much anymore.

Wouldn’t it be better to spend time with the people we love? There are so many nice things people can do together that don’t feel like a social obligation and don’t cost a fortune.

I think kids would appreciate more time and attention from their parents instead of a new phone to replace the one they got last year, which BTW still works just fine.

It's one of these things we all tend to agree with, while many of us go along with it anyway... for some friends and family we've got Christmas presents down to just our dogs, who buy each other chew toys...

Thanksgiving is mainly a food/travel expense but is better in terms of having family just spending quality time together- without being distracted by gizmos... but then some are up early to hit the stores Friday...

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

I agree. It's pathetic what Christmas has become. It's to the point I wish it was still a Christian holiday, because I wouldn't have to flooded with all the crap. You largely and mostly avoid the rest of the mainstream garbage, but you can't avoid Christmas. At all. Any where. And everything but the Nativity is reminding you to buy even more junk for people who already have more junk than they need. It's a Capitalist holiday, and it's basically overtaken Thanksgiving (and people want to say there is a "war on Christmas" :confused: ).
Now's the time to start stocking up on food and supplies to avoid the stores for the next several weeks if you don't like dealing with big Christmas crowds. And if tradition holds, in just over a week, some people will end up severely injured and probably die over some of the absolute most stupidest stuff to get hurt and die over.

DavidFirth

I don't even care if we put up a tree or not. We hang a wreath on the door and participate in Church functions because that is what Christmas is really all about. It isn't about gifts and trees and Santa Claus. It's about Jesus.

Jesster

Friendly skeptic
Premium Member
I just want more excuses to spend more quality time with the people I care about. I don't even need a specific holiday either, although they do provide the proper scheduling excuses. Why not make the best of it? Sure, I'll celebrate Thanksvalenmas.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Indeed. In the same vein as what you describe: I know people who spend several hours a week at churches where the kids get whisked away to Sunday School and the parents feel serious social pressure to donate as much as a tenth of their income!

Shocking, I know, but I agree with you: they shouldn't bow to social pressure. Instead, they should save their money and spend their Sunday morning as quality time with their families.

Vee

Premium Member
Now's the time to start stocking up on food and supplies to avoid the stores for the next several weeks if you don't like dealing with big Christmas crowds. And if tradition holds, in just over a week, some people will end up severely injured and probably die over some of the absolute most stupidest stuff to get hurt and die over.

So true. I implemented a personal rule years ago: from mid November until January I don't go to the shops. Only to the supermarket for groceries and the local markets for fruits and veggies but that's early morning and there aren't so many people.
When I see the crowds in the malls and shopping streets it scares me. I don't want to be in the middle of that.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Never been much of one for Christmas
I always go to midnight service on Christmas eve.
And these days, I usually go for a Christmas meal at my daughters.
I no longer give presents but just give money, as I remember only too well, getting all those expensive
but unwanted and utterly useless gifts. That soon join the many others in a dark forgotten drawer.
Eventually to end up sharing the top shelf in some charity shop, with equally unloved Christmas cast offs.
Or am i just a curmudgeon.

Jumi

We're lucky that the reformation basically killed any spirit of celebrating almost anything. The only ones that still stuck are the same as always and almost everywhere, midsummer and Christmas/New Year's. Some try to import Halloween/Valentine's, but it's not really in our culture either so it will never last.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
I despise what Christmas has become. Just the other say, Ms. Q and I were talking about it. I am in grad school and am not terribly well off financially. For me, the worst is the fear of actually receiving something nice. Why? Because then I have a social obligation to return the favor in kind. I don't really care for gifts and I can't reasonably afford to give things away. While most folks are understanding, there is intense pressure and anxiety that I draw from it regardless. At any rate, I prefer to stay in around the holidays and wait for New Years.

Reactions: Vee

suncowiam

We're all adults. I'm assuming we're all well aware of the media marketing frenzy of Christmas.

Those that spend more than they can sustain probably are already doing so outside of Christmas. So blaming Christmas seems secondary.

How Christmas is defined is for each person or family to do so in their own right.

Concerning presents, we clearly communicate with our friends and family on limits. We have white elephants gift exchange to ensure everyone gets at least one present and all at relatively the same price. Our children are spoiled because they get many presents but really, it's just their birthdays and Christmas they get to be spoiled. Heck, they're children and we as a family value that.

I LOVE CHRISTMAS! And its not because of spending. The focus is on celebrating with family and friends. How we do that or how much money is involved is just an after thought.

suncowiam

I agree. It's pathetic what Christmas has become. It's to the point I wish it was still a Christian holiday, because I wouldn't have to flooded with all the crap. You largely and mostly avoid the rest of the mainstream garbage, but you can't avoid Christmas. At all. Any where. And everything but the Nativity is reminding you to buy even more junk for people who already have more junk than they need. It's a Capitalist holiday, and it's basically overtaken Thanksgiving (and people want to say there is a "war on Christmas" :confused: ).

You do realize your live in a Capitalist state.

How many holidays do you think can be considered Capitalist holidays?