• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Fifth Precept

MaroonBlue&Gold

Eternal Student
With my current lifestyle, addmittedly, this would be the precept that I would struggle with the most.

I've read differing interpretation's on this ranging from "a single drop is unacceptable" to "as long as you don't lose control and act/say/think inappropriately..."

Are there any practicing buddhists here that occasionally enjoy a few social drinks with nonbuddhist friends before switching to water?

Last edited:

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
My friend at the local Cambodian temple says this is the most important precept, because breaking it leads to breaking the other precepts, it may be difficult to follow at first, but trust me, it really pays off in the long term.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Are there any practicing buddhists here that occasionally enjoy a few social drinks with nonbuddhist friends before switching to water?
I am not officially a Buddhist, though I have always considered Buddha as one of my two gurus. It is a good general advice. Not all people can hold their liquor. It is not a good example in front of children. But there is nothing wrong in a few social drinks. The habit, the addiction, is destructive for some people (like my late younger brother).

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
With my current lifestyle, addmittedly, this would be the precept that I would struggle with the most.

I've read differing interpretation's on this ranging from "a single drop is unacceptable" to "as long as you don't lose control and act/say/think inappropriately..."

This is probably another variation of reasoning, but the idea is when The Buddha listed the precepts the purpose is to not distract a person from Practice. Killing, stealing, alcohol, lust, and lying are practices that influence the mind to distract one from Dharma.

When I took the precepts, the nun asked us if we agreed to them. The guy beside me said it would be hard for him and when asked said he couldn't keep that precept. The nuns were shocked cause they didn't want people to receive precepts until they are ready.

But it's because alcohol influence the mind. I assume when you know your limit, you're fine. Monastics are strict of course but no one expects you to be a monastic.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I try to have some kahlua in my coffee at least once a month in order to remind myself not to get tripped up over the little things. If it's been 3 months since I've had alcohol, I'll look for an excuse to have some. I never take enough to become intoxicated. I also have no qualms about swatting mosquitos that bite me, so I'm not absolute in regards to the first precept, either.

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Personally i have practiced Theravada Buddhism for 20 years or so and i tried both ways of being totally non alcohol in my life and i also tried to be really drunk (one time only) to see and to understand what it does to my mind. Right now i dont mind drinking one beer but i always stop with one. Mostly this is due to not being disrespectful if some of my friends or my fianceè friends ask me have a drink with the dinner. But when i am on my own i do not drink alcohol at all.

But there is nothing wrong in a few social drinks. The habit, the addiction, is destructive for some people (like my late younger brother).
Like any other training rule, each individual's propensities may result in more serious or less serious consequences. Breaking a training rule is not a wrong in the sense of a sin. Rather, it is conduct that is in some way harmful to oneself and/or other beings. It is a reflection of our current habit patterns. It is a glimpse of the future which lies ahead. It is a reminder of our own priorities from moment to moment. Another perspective: A Discipline of Sobriety

Samana Johann

Restricted by request
... There seem to be more excuses for breaking the fifth precept than for any other. One evening another student was conversing with Ajaan Fuang at the same time that a group of people were sitting around them in meditation. "I can't observe the fifth precept," he said, "because I'm under a lot of group pressure. When we have social occasions at work, and everyone else in the group is drinking, I have to drink along with them."

Ajaan Fuang pointed to the people sitting around them and asked, "This group isn't asking you to drink. Why don't you give in to their group pressure instead?"...Awareness Itself